Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Pike County)

Default Smooth Bore slugs vs Rifled Bore slugs?

Currently I own a Remington 870 shotgun which I primarily use for clay target/trap shooting. I'm starting to like the idea of going hunting and enjoy deer meat very much, I started taking my hunting classes and should be done within two weeks.

Now my question is about my gun. Since I already own a shotgun and many friends have already expressed that they believe it would be perfect to use it and hunt with slugs, I now have to make a decision on whether to buy a new rifled barrel or not. Most slugs I do know use rifled barrels because the accuracy and range they add to the shot. But I do know they are a few types of slugs available for smooth bored barrel guns.

Now the area where I'd be hunting would be primarily heavy wooded areas with very little or no clearings, so long range shots are not a big factor. Possibly for the areas ill be hunting even buckshot would suffice, but I'd rather stick with a slug. My question is, is it worth spending another 200 dollars or more on a rifled barrel, or would using slugs made for smooth barrels suffice?

(Chester County)

Default Re: Smooth Bore slugs vs Rifled Bore slugs?

The rifled slug barrel allows you to use sabot slugs which as you mentioned are more accurate. A smooth bore would allow you to use less expensive rifled slugs, and buck shot. You should check the hunting regulations where you live, as I believe that buck shot is only to be used in the South eastern special regulation areas. I am not a deer hunter or a lawyer, so I am not sure about the laws. Another thing to consider is that the remington barrel with built in scope mount would allow you to put optics on the weapon that are easily removed, so you can trap shoot. The sight would come off with the barrel. The smooth bore could be used also for defense with buck or even bird shot if utility is a concern for you. Other than that the only difference is price IMO. The rifled barrel is more expensive as is the ammunition.

(Allegheny County)

If you got the money get the rifled barrel, yes the ammo is more expensive, but I don't take a shotgun out to the range for plinking if you know what I mean. I have an 870 express and found a rifled barrel for 125 after looking around a lot online. They can be expensive new, around 200-250, but if you want a better chance at getting some meat then it is worth it. I hunt every season for deer and bought it to hunt in extended slug season in Allegheny county.

(Allegheny County)

Shoot a couple "rifled slugs" out of the smooth bore barrel and see if you think you can hack it. Its not that easy. I can guarantee a 35yd shot within a 3-5" group. And not too much else.

(Bucks County)

Sabot slugs/rifled barrel are the way to go. Used a Mossy 20 Ga. to drop a BBuck in it's tracks in January with a 112 yard shot with a Lightfield Hybrid sabot.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    Shoot a couple "rifled slugs" out of the smooth bore barrel and see if you think you can hack it. Its not that easy. I can guarantee a 35yd shot within a 3-5" group. And not too much else.

+1, thats what I would do, your smooth bore might shoot fine, but I wouldn't get too high of hopes.
    "Skin that'n pilgrim, and I'll git ya another"

(Allegheny County)

What really matters is how accurate you and your "gun" are in the field. I commonly see guys at the range right before deer season sighting in their slug guns from the bench usually at 50 or 100 yards (mostly 50). They never practice off the bench in the position they will be shooting from (sitting or off hand) to see how accurate they truly are. If you can put 3 out of 3 shots in a paper plate at 50 yards from an unsupported sitting or standing position your probably good to go regardless what slug gun you shoot. I'd say try out your smooth bore at the range and for the first year of hunting (if you get decent groups at 50 yards). If you enjoy the hunt then next year move to the rifled barrel. I'd consider getting ghost ring sights for your shotty if you keep the smooth bore (you can always remove them for trap).
    Last edited by Hawk; February 24th, 2009 at 05:03 PM.
    Toujours prêt

(Wayne County)

It would depend on to a large part on where you hunt and what your financial situation is AND whether you would hunt enough to justify the price.

There have been plenty of deer taken w/ smooth bores w/ Foster slugs (the fluted solid lead kind). The range will limit the effectiveness. I have a buddy who hunted for years w/ a 20 guage single shot w/ slugs and did take deer routinely. However, the inaccuracy of the smooth bore increases your odds of wounding the deer and having it wander off and die without you tagging it.

Saboted slugs in a rifled barrel will extend your range and accuracy considerably.

If you intend to hunt shotgun only areas, the rifled barrel will decrease your probability of wounding a deer and having it run away to die. An important consideration in my mind. If you aren't limited to shotgun only areas but still want to hunt deer, pick up a used centerfire rifle in a caliber suitable for the area you intend to hunt and keep your shotgun as a shotgun. You can easily pick up a decent rifle for $200-$250.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Monroe County)

I have taken two deer one sitting free hand from a tree stand, and the other standing free hand while on the move. The seated shot was at about 25 yds and the standing shot was between 50 and 75 yds. The guns are accurate and do shoot well. They are not a range gun by any means as they are expensive to feed.I have a mossberg 500 that i got from dicks for $250. It came with the smooth field barrel and the rifled barrel. For what you will spend buying one barrel you might be able to get a whole new gun.