Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default cheap sig. what do you think?

hey guys,

I currently have a S/A 1911 loaded champ and a USPcompact, but I find myself really really wanting a SIG to ad to the collection.

Since my other two fulfill the every day carry needs with their 4 and 3.58 inch barrels, I think I want a full size model SIG.

I just called several local dealers and the only thing in stock right now is a SIG 226 (according to them, but I think it is really a 225/P6 because it only costs $325 and the lady didn't really sound like she knew what she was talking about).
    My question is whether or not these cheaper SIG's (i'm assuming it is older for that kind of price) are worth getting or should I wait until I can afford a NEW or CPO one? I am currently a college student so money is a factor in the overall picture, and I don't want something that will be less than desirable when it come to accuracy/reliability/etc.

Any opinions?

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: cheap sig. what do you think?

I took a class once and the guy next to me was shooting a police trade in Sig 226. He said he bought it for under four hundred. I used it for a few slow fire drills and fell in love with it so much I wound up getting a brand new one for over 700. They are out there and if you found one I'd jump on it.

(Cumberland County)

bripro, you convinced me ( not hard was is),

But, what should I look for when I check the gun out to make sure I don't get a lemon?

(Bucks County)

I picked up a P-6, for $325, off of a fellow form member. Best money I have spent on a gun. The gun is 28 yrs old and is my favorite to shoot and it carries well.

I would say jump on it if the gun looks good. Sig has been putting out an excellent product for many years. Fieldstrip it and check for unusual wear. If you don't know how to fieldstrip that model, ask someone at the gunstore to do it for you. I would love to get one for that price!!

(Armstrong County)

Beware of the Signess! Don't ask me how I know .............
    The original point and click interface was a Colt Peacemaker!

(Monroe County)

i picked up a LEO trade in 2 years or so back for $425, best money id ever spent. they can be found, just hard to locate. and they tend to go quick. you could always check with CDNN sports, do a google search for their online catalog. they have some great prices on LEO trade ins, in all conditions.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by jachrist View Post
    hey guys,

I currently have a S/A 1911 loaded champ and a USPcompact, but I find myself really really wanting a SIG to ad to the collection.

Since my other two fulfill the every day carry needs with their 4 and 3.58 inch barrels, I think I want a full size model SIG.

I just called several local dealers and the only thing in stock right now is a SIG 226 (according to them, but I think it is really a 225/P6 because it only costs $325 and the lady didn't really sound like she knew what she was talking about).
    My question is whether or not these cheaper SIG's (i'm assuming it is older for that kind of price) are worth getting or should I wait until I can afford a NEW or CPO one? I am currently a college student so money is a factor in the overall picture, and I don't want something that will be less than desirable when it come to accuracy/reliability/etc.

Any opinions?
    The older Sigs are in more demand than the newer ones. The older variety are completely made in Germany, their slides are stamped carbon steel, versus the new pistols, which are made from machined stainless. These are the pistols which allowed Sig Sauer to build their outstanding reputation for quality and accuracy.

Many gun enthusiasts covet the older Sigs because they lack the equipment rails, are lighter and slimmer, have better "pointability" and are generally problem free.

The German made Sig's date of manufacture can generally be identified by a code stamped under the muzzle.

The most prized German made Sig of them all is the Sig 228. The compact version of the Sig 226. It has served our military for years under the label as the M11. Another outstanding pistol is the Sig P220, a single stack .45 Acp pistol which is probably the most accurate and comfortable to shoot double action .45 pistol on the market.

The P6 pistol is the German police designation for Sig's 225 9mm offering. It was based on the European P220 which was originally manufactured for the Swiss Army in 9mm.
    These are excellent concealed carry pistols. Most P6 pistols have external holster wear, but are usually mechanically in fine working order.

A word of warning, collecting and shooting older Sigs can be an addictive and costly proposition.
    Last edited by reels18; February 22nd, 2009 at 10:20 AM.

(Monroe County)

thanks for that post with the numbers to ident the pistol, now i know mine was made in 1991.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Centre County)

Sig P-6 was great gun.
    Mine was made in 82, and it never skipped beat. It was great little pistol.
    I traded for my P-226 Combat, but I wish I kept the gun now that I think about it.

Bewere tho... there are something about weapon made by sig... it makes you think you MUST have more sig, or something ain't right with you, and that will get expensive
    I just got my 226, now i'm thinking 239, 220, and mosquito..
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast