Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Scotia Range

(Centre County)

Default Scotia Range

Returning to the area and not finding too many places to shoot like i did before. I read som eabout Scotia but it seems all bad.. was wondering if there was a PAFOA group that helps maintain the range.. if so i would liek to help.

Iam going to go up the weekend of the 28th to check it out. I took a ride about 1/2 way back the road today and agree with ppl about its condition.. but with state funding its what you get.

a heads up on the rules and regs for this range would be nice, I have a 30-06a 9mm and 44 blackhawk all ruger and after the army I blew a lot of money on a CHEYTAC.408 its a LONG RANGE gun and wanted to find a range to shoot further than 200 yards

anyway some info on this area would be nice

back in 2003 before I enlsted I shot skeet at Perdue Mt and remember it was a nice range and currently I target shoot at a small range in Clarence, PA

but after being gone for 6years things change so like I said some info would be greatly appreciated.

Scouts Out
    C. ko NACH ik

(Centre County)

Default Re: Scotia Range

I can't help you too much with what you're trying to find, but I'm jealous of your cheytac .408

(Centre County)

well I take that as a compliment.. but I cant take it out shooting without 50 ppl wanting to see it lol. Definitly an awesome gun but iam finding little use for it around here. In Alaska it would have been great to have but here there is just not the range, or game to hunt with it. Its like a high priced car.. even minor maintenence is expensive.. I would have rather had a 308 in the end, anything needed for the gun is special ordered with a $100 pricetag.

not complaining, just letting you know your not missing much
    C. ko NACH ik

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nach_19D View Post
    but after being gone for 6years things change so like I said some info would be greatly appreciated.
    If you read the posts over the past month in this group, you'll get mostly information on Scotia. As far as a maintenance day, I love that idea! There was a group cleanup last spring and from the sounds of it, this is the time of year that it needs it.

We need to get a Scotia FAQ Sticky on this group.

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nach_19D View Post
    I read som eabout Scotia but it seems all bad..
    Not at all, I haven't been this winter yet, but Scotia is a very nice range compared to what I had been used to.

(Centre County)

well iam game for a cleanup day, hopefully we can get a Sticky about Scotia and maybe a list of local area members willing to help out. I think if enough responsible shooters use the range we can keep the riff raff in check.

Iam going up to the range today to just look around and get a feel for things, this way I have my own opinion and a better sence of what needs done.

I read about the group last summer and was a main reason to make a new thread to attract some ppl to maybe do it again this spring or sooner, like i said, I will have a beter idea of what needs done today.

I read the other threads but iam mainly interested in "no rules days" and the rules of that range.. everyone refers to them but noone has stated what they are.

thanks again
    C. ko NACH ik

(Centre County)

You need to join Mifflin Co. Sportsmans Association and bring the .408. Range goes to 1000 yards. Cost is $40 per year.

Scouts Out.

(Centre County)

Well, There's Liberty Twp Sportsmens Club, down 150 past Howard an toward Beech Creek. Turn back onto Marsh Creek Rd for about 3 miles. Target holders at 50 an 100. Gongs up on the hill at 150 and ~200.

Its a pretty easygoing range. No BS about how many rounds you load, no range nazis, shoot whatever you want, but clean up after yourself.

If you want to shoot longer distances, there's always Reade, up above Tyrone in Allemans. Its a bit of a drive but its closer than Mifflin County. you can shoot from 200 out to 1000 there.

(Lehigh County)

the only problem i have with it right now is the road on the way there.... even the aux. range looks nice..... decent benches and in the pistol range there is i think 5 spots for targets.... even the 100yd range looked pretty good when i was there... like other than i said about the road its a pretty good place....