Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (York County)

Default Re: Virginia Tech Weapons Policy

I would like to bring one important factor to the discussion, today kids are
    taught not to use force of anykind, whatever happend to teaching "self
    defense". When those brave folks on Flight 93 new knew it was "now" or
    "never" they took action and it will never be known how many lives they
    saved. This incident looks like the Lambs were led to the Slaughter. I will
    wait for "further review" of the facts from those young people that were
    there and wounded, listen to their stories before making any other assumptions.
    I remember a line from one of Tom Clancy novels, where Jack Ryan said: "that
    Joseph Stalin stated:" that the death on one person is a tragedy, the death of
    thousands is a mere statistic. I know my thoughts are with the families of
    those that lost their children.
    FUNDAMENTALS

"All that is needed for Evil to Prevail is for Good Men to
    do Nothing"

Hey guys, I would like to share the email that I sent to my professor who I previously quoted in this thread:

Mr. XXXX,

I just want to express to you how I was deeply concerned by the comment you made in class today (section 1) about the VA-Tech shooting. To remind you, you said something about how that event will surely bring some "irresponsible talk" about how those students would have been saved if the "students were armed."

I completely understand that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I cannot stand idly by while you irresponsibly assert your opinion as blatant fact, especially given the academic setting in which you did so. I do not believe it was right for you to bring your personal views about such a controversial topic into the classroom setting.

When it comes to the actual issue that your comment was about, let me share with you my own opinion. While you may certainly be able to argue that an armed student in the VA-Tech situation may have just made an already bad situation worse, I don't think that even you can deny the fact that if even one student or faculty member was able to exercise his/her right to arm him/her self, and was at the right place at the right time, yesterday's situation may have ended with quite a lot more innocent lives saved and a lot less shots fired. It is quite obvious from yesterday's events that Law Enforcement Officers alone are not enough to protect the lives of innocent citizens. University President Spanier himself was quoted as saying, "We like to think of college campuses as being refuges from the violence that can plague society, but today's events are a reminder that no one place is immune." It is clear that no place is immune from the threat of violence; so why, then, do Universities feel that they have the power to deny its students, faculty, and staff the right to protect themselves from such violence?

While you may continue to assert that it is "irresponsible" to allow students to be armed, I will certainly continue to assert that it is definitely irresponsible for Universities to deny the right of the people to be able to defend themselves if they so choose.

I'm not asking you to change your opinion, but I hope that in the future you will leave your personal views out of class-time discussion.

Thank you,
    ~Alex
    I'm sure some of this could be used as a petition letter as well...
    Last edited by lexington86; April 17th, 2007 at 06:58 PM.

(Tioga County)

Might I suggest a letter to the editor of some local rags. perhaps the the rag on campus?

Ya never know what might come of it.

Quote Originally Posted by lexington86 View Post
    Hey guys, I would like to share the email that I sent to my professor who I previously quoted in this thread:

I'm sure some of this could be used as a petition letter as well...

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    I didn't know which of the VA threads to put this on.. but here it goes..

I was talking with a friend of mine yesterday about this very case. She is currently in the military, yet holds anti-gun views.

I asked her, "Don't you think this catastrophe could have been avoided if the teachers or students would have been allowed to carry guns for their protection?"

Her answer was..

"No, I don't think so. It could have only made the situation worse. If I were at VA at that time, I would hope that nobody else has a gun, because I'm afraid of being shot by somebody defending themselves".

Thats essentially what she said in a long conversation.

WOW, just WOW! She just lost 35 cool points in my book.
    I do suggest you remind her what her duty in the Military is all about (defending the nation and the Constitution (including the Bill of Rights. If those are not her top concerns...it's time she left the military. Please remind her of this! A military person who has anti-gun views has no place in the military...remind her of that, please!

I'm a Navy vet...so don't even think I'm putting down the Military!

However, I agree with her in some respects...

I foresee CCW being allowed on College campuses after this tragedy. However, it cannot be just a "no problem...carry your gun" answer.

Safe storage when the gun owner is not carrying must be addressed. I would suggest those who want to carry in college would be required to lock their weapons in one of those one gun safes (some folks use them on a night stand).
    For many students, college is their first time away from home...where they're really on their own. They're going to experiment with alcohol but may not have developed the judgement to drink responsibly. Like it or not...that's a fact. In this case, it may not be the gun owner...but a room mate or other living in the dorm. How do we handle that situation? You all know this scenario will happen, and it's up to us to suggest methods to ensure the act off carrying or maintaining a weapon on campus doesn't lead to a tragedy. Maybe a lesser tragedy then the massacre at VA Tech, but still a tragedy.

And, if the worst case happens...a nutcase like Cho, Whitman or the Columbine duo are on campus...the CCW carrier cannot go out looking for the perps. He or she must stay where they are, no matter how tough that would be. Your friend's point about being shot by someone defending themselves is quite valid. A number of CCW carriers roaming around the halls of a dorm or other building probably would end up shooting an innocent.
    When law enforcement does arrive, it's highly unlikely they'll have any idea of who is who...or what the perp looks like (as in the VA Tech massacre). It would be just as tragic if the cops shot an innocent as it would be for the perp to shoot someone.
    I am 100% for unrestricted CCW. I've had my permit for...(wow!) 20 years!

But CCW on campus could...would...lead to friendly fire casualties.

As responsible gun owners, it is up to us to provide suggestions on how students could carry on campus and not end up with tragedies resulting from the very thing we want to do to prevent massacres. To simplify, we don't want the cure to be worse then the desease.

LorDiego, I'm going to copy this post (including the quote from your post) to another gun forum. I will remove any identifying information. I hope you don't mind...if you do, please PM me and I'll ensure it's removed.

(Bedford County)

One scene that I've seen over and over is the one the 2 'obese' LEO's hiding behind a tree with hand guns or that one running down the sidewalk with his pants falling down. If I was a college student I would definately start carrying now!! How many wacko's are already out there thinking "wow look at all the attention this guy is getting, I think I ought to do that". After the incident in CO there were numerous copy cats.

I've been out of college for 17 years but if I were there now I would be carrying. I wouldn't want to rely on those donut sucking wanna be cops to protect me.

Good luck and stay safe!

Ok...Lor, your friend in the Military, please tell me she is not stationed at Meade. I know of a couple of females with that same attitude.

As for college kids carrying on campus. I think the age should be slightly higher. Just my $.02.
    Quote Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
    Sgt....Do NOT piss off the wife, do NOT piss off the wife!
    Army Strong

These are my opinions, my opinions only. If you are offended, please, please, call Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton, I would like the notoriety.

Detroit (but Pittsburgh is always home), Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by billamj View Post
    So you didn't correct the incompetent ass, why exactly? You guys in school are the only ones who can affect that attitude of these twits. By allowing them the opportunity to call you and those who think like you irresponsible you are giving them the opportunity to create a self-fulfilling prophecy.

x2. You're paying for this. Call her out on it. If she can't explain it in rational terms, walk out and tell her you're dropping the class because she's an irrational buffoon.

You don't have to agree with her. But if she can't rationally defend her position, and instead indulges in emotional BS when a serious issue is being discussed, you're wasting time in that class anyway.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Chunky Monkey View Post
    One scene that I've seen over and over is the one the 2 'obese' LEO's hiding behind a tree with hand guns or that one running down the sidewalk with his pants falling down. If I was a college student I would definately start carrying now!! How many wacko's are already out there thinking "wow look at all the attention this guy is getting, I think I ought to do that". After the incident in CO there were numerous copy cats.

I've been out of college for 17 years but if I were there now I would be carrying. I wouldn't want to rely on those donut sucking wanna be cops to protect me.

Good luck and stay safe!

BINGO.

All of the "hype" about it being "the worst" massacre or "a record number of..." has got a bunch of piss-ants who can't handle reality due to the crap that's being taught in schools thinking "They think THAT'S bad, HA! wait till they see what I'M gonna do! - I'll be FAMOUS!"

I'm SO upset by the way the "feel-good", "everyone's a winner", "It's your right to do as you please", "no accountability" liberal scum have F#cked up our children and country, I want to vomit.

Note to you liberals:
    Just as there's no "one-size-fits-all" conservative, I'm not lumping all of you in with the above mentioned scum, so don't get all bent out of shape. I'm just very angry, because many of these tragic events could have been avoided if society would just get it's head out of the clouds and deal with the reality of life instead of pretending... nevermind. I'll stop ranting now.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234