Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 9mm suitable for home defense?

Well, seeing as how the results of my previous thread have only made me want to move away from California, I think I'd better see what other calibers might be viable.

The Beretta CX4 Storm carbine looks interesting. Actually I think it looks wacky, but it is shorter in overall length, semi-automatic, and doesn't use any wildly expensive caliber bullets. That said, how's the stopping power for a 9mm round? Overpenetration likelihood? How's the accuracy for the CX4 Storms?

Also, if I wish to use it for target practice at the range, how much further out would the effective range be over my .22 LR CZ rifle?

Cameron

Default Re: 9mm suitable for home defense?

9mm is most certainly suitable for home defense. I can't tell you much about the Beretta but can relate some of my findings about using 9mm in 16" carbines.

You'll pick up 100-150 fps with 125 gr or lighter ammo compared to a handgun. Don't use subsonic in carbine as you will actually lose velocity due to barrel friction. I've chronographed a couple of subsonic factory loads in a Glock 26, MP5 (10" barrel), and a Marlin 9 and High Point and the results were in the area of 990/1007/960 fps respectively.

As for accuracy I find my marlin or High point will do 6-8" at 100 yds which would make it accurate enough to use at that range.

Based on comparative chronograph results the 9mm in a pistol gives more velocity than +P ammo in 38 special. The extra velocity in a carbine helps ensure expansion of hollowpoints. Not something to hunt rhinos with but respectable stopping power. Would you think a 9MM submachine gun has good stopping power. Yes, you would hit the target with multiple rounds but you should be doing that with any handgun. The carbine is a lot easier to place your shot with than a handgun.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by GRIZ; April 16th, 2007 at 06:35 PM. Reason: sp

(Centre County)

As we saw on the news today, evidently it is.

Yes, a 9mm will Kill...With that said, So will a .22cal.

Do yourself a favor and stay away from 9mm for home defense unless you live in the middle of no where and don't have to worry about over penetration and possibly killing an innocent by-stander. The 9mm is notorious for over-penetration.

You would really be better off with a 5.56mm that if you happen to miss and hit the drywall..it will essentially disintegrate upon impact or a 12ga. loaded with something like #8 shot.

Getting woken up in the middle of the night and grabbing a gun and shooting your target and hitting it...is not the easiest thing to do. Think about how often you actually hit your target dead-on at the range under perfectly controlled conditions.

Of course disregard anything I said here if you care less about getting sued, losing your home, family and possibly going to prison, all because you missed your target.

Just my .2 cents -- But why risk it?

TJ

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by TJB63 View Post

Do yourself a favor and stay away from 9mm for home defense unless you live in the middle of no where and don't have to worry about over penetration and possibly killing an innocent by-stander. The 9mm is notorious for over-penetration.

You would really be better off with a 5.56mm that if you happen to miss and hit the drywall..it will essentially disintegrate upon impact
    TJ
    Say what??? I've put .223 FMJ through 8" trees! I've also put it through 1/4 boiler plate, where the steel looked like it was penetrated by a drill bit. It might get deflected, but it certainly won't disintegrate.

A 9mm frangible round or Glaser blue dot would be fine for in-home defense.

(Luzerne County)

I think a big reason why people choose pistol calibers in rifles is for caliber consolodation....not ballistic performance. With that said, a 9mm in a rifle/carbine will do just fine for what you are looking to do. I do think that your CZ 22 may out-shoot your choice of 9mm carbine at the 100yd line though.

I would have to agree with Randoms comments also, varmint 223 may be on the frangible side but my experience dictates that most 223 (especially commonly available surplus) is pretty good at penetrating...especially the SS109/62g stuff.
    Guns are good.
    If you can't fry it you shouldn't eat it
    Loud pipes save lives
    Mom spelled backwards spells....mom
    "Please don't squeeze the Charmin." ~ Mr. Whipple

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by TJB63 View Post

You would really be better off with a 5.56mm that if you happen to miss and hit the drywall..it will essentially disintegrate upon impact or a 12ga. loaded with something like #8 shot.

Getting woken up in the middle of the night and grabbing a gun and shooting your target and hitting it...is not the easiest thing to do. Think about how often you actually hit your target dead-on at the range under perfectly controlled conditions.

Of course disregard anything I said here if you care less about getting sued, losing your home, family and possibly going to prison, all because you missed your target.

Just my .2 cents -- But why risk it?

TJ
    I have to disagree anything that will not penetrate drywall will not stop a man let alone some doped up loon. A 9mm is a good home defence round, just when you pull the trigger be sure to hit your target and choose ammo that will not overpenetrate. Drywall will not stop a 5.56, i dont know where you heard that but you might want to do some research. However if im wrong show me proof and ill be glad to admit im wrong.

(Allegheny County)

Home defense = shotgun.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by jmateer View Post
    Home defense = shotgun.
    Don't you just hate people that just ramble on and on about something using lots of words but never getting to the point? j/k jm
    Guns are good.
    If you can't fry it you shouldn't eat it
    Loud pipes save lives
    Mom spelled backwards spells....mom
    "Please don't squeeze the Charmin." ~ Mr. Whipple

(Allegheny County)

Overpenetration: Anything that can stop a man will go thru at least one layer of drywall at the same distance. But some bullets will even exit your house and enter your neighbors'. To avoid that, consider using frangible bullets. Even better, as jmateer succinctly pointed out, use a shotgun. Use large-size birdshot (e.g., BB size) or small-size buckshot (e.g., #4) if you're especially worried about overpenetration. But even 00 buckshot is probably better than your average pistol bullet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast