Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Talking Construction of Residential Indoor Shooting Range

We are looking to build an indoor shooting range in the basement section of a home. The home has a nice 40 foot long section room under the front porch. This "Room" is 8 ft wide by 8 ft high by 40 ft long - all concrete walls and ceiling.

I know we will need good ventilation....and sound proofing.....but I am more interested in type of construction for the bullet trap at the "Working End" of the range.

Anyone have experience in building an indoor range? Looking for recommendations - PICTURES - Plans.......

Lets hear what ya got.

I KNOW I am not the first to attempt this.....

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Construction of Residential Indoor Shooting Range

Quote Originally Posted by D*Compound View Post
    We are looking to build an indoor shooting range in the basement section of a home. The home has a nice 40 foot long section room under the front porch. This "Room" is 8 ft wide by 8 ft high by 40 ft long - all concrete walls and ceiling.

I know we will need good ventilation....and sound proofing.....but I am more interested in type of construction for the bullet trap at the "Working End" of the range.

Anyone have experience in building an indoor range? Looking for recommendations - PICTURES - Plans.......

Lets hear what ya got.

I KNOW I am not the first to attempt this.....
    If I were to attempt something like this, I would probably make some kind of steel bullet trap for the main target (AR500 plate at impact point).

The area around the target should have some kind of material (wood/rubber) to absorb errant rounds although at 40 feet, there should be none .

Ventilation is very important but any surface area (any exposed surface) will collect powder residue/lead. Construction should include a readily cleanable surface. Hosing an area down will cause lead material to enter the public sewer system(if it is not a private sewer) and although it may not be monitored in any way,there is a possibility that the EPA or somesuch party could fine you if found out.

I doubt it would be a good idea to reside above a shooting area JMHO.

Good luck,

27hand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Allegheny County)

The Army & Navy Store in Latrobe PA retrofitted their indoor range a few years ago, and it's pretty decent. It's in the middle of the city, and entirely underground like what you're suggesting.

When they upgraded it they replaced their old backstop with one that was made up of a giant pile of what appeared to be shredded rubber tires. The effect of this being that they were able to allow .223/5.56 AR-15 to be shot in the indoor range, which was previously limited to pistol calibers only. If you are going to be doing an underground indoor range, I might seriously consider looking into something like that to make it more versatile.

My biggest concern, obviously besides the boat load of money that would be necessary to do something like this, would be zoning laws and permits. I have to imagine that's going to be hell.

Can I come over to shoot??? I think I know of a place like you have described.

All we need is an electrician to wire up some kind of exhaust fan.

Were I to build a shooting range under my own home I would want thick steel plating built into the concrete ceiling to prevent anything every coming up into the living quarters. Of course if the concrete is thick enough the steel might not be necessary.

I'd also go with a massively over-engineered ventilation system. Very few places overdo the downrange airflow, many I've experienced are sub-par.

(Lehigh County)

Have the bullet trap angled some.

Along the lines of ventilation have it at both ends of the range, that way you are sucking up the smoke from the guns as well. Call around to some different ranges and see what type of cfm they are using on their vent system to get an idea of how much ventilation to have

Quote Originally Posted by Jon1911 View Post
    ..Were I to build a shooting range under my own home I would want thick steel plating built into the concrete ceiling to prevent anything every coming up into the living quarters...
    If this is where I think it is, there are no living quarters above. It is a front porch.

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by ADerhammer View Post
    Along the lines of ventilation have it at both ends of the range, that way you are sucking up the smoke from the guns as well.
    No, you want the exhaust down range, and fresh air coming in behind the shooting position. That way, there's a gentle down range breeze pulling the smoke away from the shooting position, not back into your face like having exhaust at both ends would do.

I'd also be worried about noise in such a small location.

you'll shoot your eye out.....................Honestly you need to check out how much room you need for a backstop, and I'm pretty sure if you do it right your 40' isn't going to be enough room. And that's not even getting into the lead removal and ventilation issues. Don't know what code enforcement or building dept. would say about such an endeavor. Just something you should consider. Along with any ordinances in your town as far as firing a gun down in a basement. How close do your neighbors live by you? But do as you feel, just trying to play devils advocate. (putting on flame retardant gear)
    Last edited by Tequila Sunrise; February 21st, 2009 at 08:36 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast