Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Northampton County)

Default Re: concealed carry for green card holders

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    Wow so they should deport me and many others here who are Permanent residents, as there are probably 10 to 15 of us on there and we all own weapons.

I take it you went through the whole Alien resident thing to know so much, cause I have and did not know I could not own guns... (weapons) and certainly the Sheriff who handed me my LTCF did not know, and the BATF who asks for your A# on their forms do not know...

Anyway, I am off this thread, the answer was given, the only thing that by law you need to get your LTCF is your A# (card) and proof of residency, (the green card doubles as proof of residency.)

What ever else the Sheriff ask is as valid as him saying Open carry is illegal or that you can not carry with one in the chamber or that drinking a slush puppy in November is not advisable.

PS, you can register to vote, but hey what do I know, I am just a Frenchman..
    I usually stay away from these things. However, the previous poster didn't highlight all the applicable terms. It is not illegal for a PR to own a handgun. That quoted text only says that certain crimes involving the use or other action of guns COULD be deportable.

My wife is a Canadian citizen here legally with a permanent resident card (green card). She is allowed (although she doesnt) to apply and receive an LTCF and purchase whatever firearms she wants.

Jay

Frenchy, read my post #17 again. It is not illegal for you to own guns under federal law. If you getconvicted of any crime using a gun you can be deported.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post

The 90 day requirement is a local thing, the Sheriff in many community ask that you be a resident of their county 90 days, (they ask this of every applicant) but the A# proves you have been in the state/Country more then 90 days as you do not get a permanent resident card until you have been issued a temporary resident card for 2 years.

The Sheriff or the PD in Philly can ask you anything, but whether you are required to give it or not is an other question.
    You are incorrect here as it is not a local sheriff or philly pd requirement rather a requirement by the pennsylvania instant check system. The manual that was quoted was not written by a sheriff's deparment or philly pd but is issued by the Pennsylvania Instant check system listing the requirements to use their system. A sheriff does not have discretion on what information to provide and what not to. When a PICS check is done for a license to carry firearms on a non-us citizen the operator asks the caller what bills they are providing to prove their 90 days proof of residency. If they do not have the bills the call is terminated by PICS until they are provided.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123