Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Moving back to Pittsburgh

Hello everyone,

I currently live in New Hampshire, but have accepted a position that requires me to move back to Pittsburgh (which is where I grew up and went to undergrad). I should be there some time after Easter. I'm not quite sure where we'll be moving to, but I'm sure I'll be asking here for help in settling down at a nice club.

Currently I shoot .223, 9mm, a 12 gauge, and at Christmas got a Thompson/Center Arms blackpowder gun that I'll be buying plenty of fun barrels for once the upheaval of the move is over. I cast and reload, so I don't mind getting into some of the more unusual calibers like .45-70, .375H&H, and maybe even .416 Rigby. (I like historically interesting calibers.) Depending upon the length of the club's ranges, I'll probably also get a high quality .308 barrel and/or a .204 barrel for target shooting plus somewhere along the line I venture I'll be picking up a good quality target air rifle for some real cheap fun.

Anyway, just wanted to say "hi" and let you know that another Pittsburgh shooter is on the way.

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Moving back to Pittsburgh

Welcome to the site and welcome back to Pittsburgh...
    Please visit my Website for Exotic ammunition and 37mm goodies... http://gunshowgoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by craig110 View Post
    Hello everyone,

I currently live in New Hampshire, but have accepted a position that requires me to move back to Pittsburgh (which is where I grew up and went to undergrad). I should be there some time after Easter. I'm not quite sure where we'll be moving to, but I'm sure I'll be asking here for help in settling down at a nice club.

Currently I shoot .223, 9mm, a 12 gauge, and at Christmas got a Thompson/Center Arms blackpowder gun that I'll be buying plenty of fun barrels for once the upheaval of the move is over. I cast and reload, so I don't mind getting into some of the more unusual calibers like .45-70, .375H&H, and maybe even .416 Rigby. (I like historically interesting calibers.) Depending upon the length of the club's ranges, I'll probably also get a high quality .308 barrel and/or a .204 barrel for target shooting plus somewhere along the line I venture I'll be picking up a good quality target air rifle for some real cheap fun.

Anyway, just wanted to say "hi" and let you know that another Pittsburgh shooter is on the way.
    Depending on where you move to, PMSC (www.pmsconline.com) is a GREAT club to belong to.

It's where we have our monthly group shoots.

currently rifle goes out to 300 yards, but there is a 600yard range being talked about at the moment (roland and hawk know the most of this).

Would be glad to have you there, we're having an open house next weekend if you're going to be in town.

(Allegheny County)

Welcome to the forum.

There are a lot of PAFOA members in the Pgh area and there are a lot of clubs to be found. You should have no problem getting advice on where to look.

I'm a member at Pitcairn Monroeville Sportsmen's Club.
    If you settle anywhere nearby, it's one of the best around.
    http://www.pmsconline.com/about_us/directions.htm
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    Depending on where you move to, PMSC (www.pmsconline.com) is a GREAT club to belong to.
    That's what I've gathered. Too bad my wife is looking at real estate mostly down the Ohio River. I keep trying to nudge her to look east of the 'burg, but I'm not having much success so far.

A 600 yard range would be really sweet. The club I belong to up here was building one, but ran out of money before the 600 yard range was completed so it is in suspended animation. Since all the trees are cleared out, though, it is really impressive to stand where the firing line would be and look at the berms wwwwwwaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy over there and realize that that is where the targets would be. Scary, but exciting.

(Mercer County)

Welcome!

I'm an hour north of Pittsburgh...

(Allegheny County)

Welcome back!

As for living down the Ohio river - that may not be a bad idea; where for art though going to work when you get back?

Unless you live AND work east of the Squirrel Hill Tunnel, you'd be nuckin futtz to want to travel that catastrophe everyday.

Our zombie population has taken to driving and haunting the tunnels, and so the living yinzers enter every tunnel as if it is their last act on earth.

(Allegheny County)

One tunnel jobs from south or west of the city aren't too bad for those of us who start work at 6AM. Even outbound.

Two tunnel jobs (working east of the Squirrly Hill tunnel) if you live west are the pits, especially if you are a 9 to 5er.

If you live west of the Fort Pitt hole in the wall, McDonald Sportsmans club is a pretty fair club with a 600 yd range. Dues are about 150/yr if you don't do their required work parties. Coraopolis Sportsman's club is a nice small club as is Forest Grove (both are 100yd max but have no magazine limits and allow presentations from a holster).

I live south of the city but relatively close to I-79. The commute to Oakland is about 22 min inbound(5:00AM) and about a half hour outbound (at 2:30 PM)

Welcome back

27hand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Beaver County)

beaver valley has a 300 yard range i believe.thats in beaver county only one tunnel but a pain in the ass.
    WELCOME HOME.
    do you feel lucky punk,well do ya!

Detroit (but Pittsburgh is always home), Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by craig110 View Post
    That's what I've gathered. Too bad my wife is looking at real estate mostly down the Ohio River. I keep trying to nudge her to look east of the 'burg, but I'm not having much success so far.
    I personally wouldn't go east if you have to commute to downtown. Traffic is pretty bad on I-376 at rush hour. (Someone did a survey of the "most congested" roads in Pennsylvania, it was the only one from Pittsburgh that made the list - everything else was from Philly.)

Consider looking northwards - Ohio Township or Wexford or even Cranberry Township, which is technically in Butler county (and therefeore lower taxes most likely.) A much easier commute into the city (via I-79/I-279) for work than parts south, east, or west, and then you can either swing thru the city onto I-376 or else jump on to the turnpike and take that down to Monroeville to get to the PMSC (if you were so inclined to join it.)

I live IN the city right now, but my wife and I would really only consider places in that direction if we decided to move to the suburbs.

I guess an advantage of living up Ohio River Blvd., though, would be that you could take a bus downtown if you didn't want to hassle with the drive.
    Last edited by Johannes_Paulsen; February 21st, 2009 at 09:59 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast