Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default City residents -- CCW renewal

I just called the Permit Office at 10th and Spring Garden, with two specific questions. Here are the answers:

1. Bring in your renewal paperwork no earlier than 60 days before current one expires.

2. References: surprisingly, it's not necessary that they be actual city residents. Apparently, metro area is good enough (I specifically asked if my long time friend in Eddystone was ok; he was)...so I guess inner ring suburbs are ok. NB: last renewal, they didn't even call my references. I asked at the time, and the officer there said they only call references "if there's a problem." I chose not to pursue that line of inquiry...

(Bucks County)

Default Re: City residents -- CCW renewal

DGG9, One more thing you will need when you go is a hefty dose of patience. An earlier thread on the subject mentioned how they can put you through the wringer when you apply or renew...good luck...Mike45

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike45 View Post
    DGG9, One more thing you will need when you go is a hefty dose of patience. An earlier thread on the subject mentioned how they can put you through the wringer when you apply or renew...good luck...Mike45
    And I was the one who wrote it! I remember my last renewal all too well.

(Bucks County)

Renewal finally transpired. It had been over 2 months (if I hadn't applied a few days before the 60 day limit, I'd have been expired by now). I called for status and of crouse they won't give status over the phone -- you have to make a trip there.

I drove over during lunch today and it was approved -- they either were just about to, or just had, mailed the "it's here" postcard. So if I didn't go in ahead of the postcard, on spec, I would also have been expired.

Official elapsed time = 9 weeks.

So: you're not allowed to renew before 60 days before expiration date, and my renewal took just over that time.

But, I'm set until July 2012...

(Philadelphia County)

My permit expired in December of last year. I was lazy, and finally went down to renew last month. I had all my paperwork in order, and had to wait 25 minutes to be interviewed.

After that it was breeze. The female cop and I talked about everything under the sun for a while (she was cute!), and it helped that I'm a city firefighter. She said it would take 6-8 weeks (!). She also said I'd get a call from a detective to pick up my license at my leisure, which was cool.

I picked it up last Friday.

(Philadelphia County)

I'm sitting here reading all these delays with people getting their CCW permit in Philadelphia and I feel like I need to point out that I understand Pennsylvania law to state that the police authorities (including Philadelphia) are required to issue or deny a permit within 45 days of application; if they do not, the permit is considered to have been legally issued effective 45 days after the date of application/renewal.
    Last edited by tussocky; October 18th, 2007 at 04:13 AM.

(Snyder County)

Quote Originally Posted by tussocky View Post
    if they do not, the permit is considered to have been legally issued effective 45 days after the date of application/renewal.
    I have not seen in the PA laws and statues where it says this. It does say that the LTCF shall be issued within 45 days. But it does not say, that I can find, that the LTCF will be issued if the 45 days expires.

I am not sure what happens, but I don't think the laws says anything about automatically issuing the license.

(Venango County)

Sooo...what about these counties that do the 15 minute renewals....you could drive to said county ang get your permit renewed.....it's a state license, correct? does not have to be issued by YOUR county? or am I wrong on this?

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(Philadelphia County)

you must get your permit from the county you reside in. I live in philly so I have to go to 10th and spring garden to get it. If you are out of state, you can go to any county youd like.

(Philadelphia County)

Post Re: City residents -- CCW renewal

New City Resident I have CCW permit out of Lackawanna (very pro second amendment county) that is expring soon and I know the renewal process it a nightmare in Philadelphia County. What are the fees associated with my renewal and the length of the overall process before I have my CCW in hand?

Joe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast