Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default convicted felon owning a handgun

after so many years can a convicted felon eventually own a handgun? a friend of mine from way back got into trouble lives in georgia now actually and told me hes interested in becoming a leo, told me that 7yrs after the felony he can became a leo any truth to all of this?

(Centre County)

Default Re: convicted felon owning a handgun

Most likely if its even possible he would have to hire a good lawyer and get his record expunged.

However, i think i'll wait for one of our law gurus to chime in here.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
    Oh yes, thats how it starts. The road from legitimate suspicion to rampant paranoia is very much shorter than we think.

I used to work with a guy that was a convicted felon. He committed a crime about 25-30 yrs ago and he still can't vote or buy a firearm. I don't think he ever tried to have his record cleared. Maybe after 7 yrs you can try to have your record cleared, I really don't know.

(Lancaster County)

A friend of mine lives down in a southern state. He had committed an explosives crime back in about 1950-51. The judge sentanced him to either go to jail, or to join the Army and go to Korea, and he chose Korea. Ironically, of course only our Army would do this, they assigned him to explosives work... Anyway, after the war, he went to college, then went into the CIA and served overseas for 30 years with involvement in several major issues over the years that could most honestly lead to the conclusion that this is a real Patriot who is one of the guys who really did fight the Communists and win freedom for people all over the world. Now retired, openly (they give agents a choice to retire openly and get awards for their service, or retire clandestinely), and had been awarded multiple high honors by the agency. Never has been allowed to buy a gun due to his past legal issue from 1950, although his work over the years led to a large collection, and vast knowledge of firearms. He's one of these guys who knows-it-all, about most any firearms topic, and when you do your independent research and look stuff up, you find EXACTLY what he told you. He never tried to clear his name. I think he deserves a Presidential pardon. He's an older man now, and arthritis makes it hard for him to assume a shooting stance, and to handle the recoil of the big guns he once fired. But it would be nice at some point if he could legally walk into a gun store and purchase a gun.
    Last edited by ursavus.elemensis; April 16th, 2007 at 02:27 PM.

Pennsylvania convictions never go stale. The only way to remove a conviction is through a Governor's pardon, followed by an expungement. Some folks age 70 and above may be able to get relief, for what that's worth.

For some older crimes, there's a shortcut to having your gun rights restored without a pardon, especially for petty theft, DUI and drag racing from before the early 1970's. Crimes that are currently non-prohibiting, but USED to be punishable by more than 2 years in jail, are eligible for this treatment.

The state were the conviction occured is the state that can restore rights, regardless of where the person lives today.

(Clinton County)

In TN after release from prison and parole in 7 years all rights are restored for property crimes and paper crimes but not for violent crimes like rape armed robbery and murder. Also crimes in other states are trated as the same degree of crime that they would be if committed in TN, for example carrying a gun in NJ is a felony but in TN it is a misdomeanor.

(Lycoming County)

The only way is if the convictions get expunged. Read the form when purchasing a handgun. It asks have you ever. Not have you in the last 7 years.
    “It's not a gun control problem; it's a cultural control problem.” Bob Barr

"I have a love interest in every one of my films - a gun." Arnold Schwarzenegger

(Cambria County)

Unhappy Re: convicted felon owning a handgun

To the person listed above that felons never deserve guns again is just stupid. I am a convicted felon. I have 24 mistermeaners and 7 felonies from when I was 18 young and stupid and give a false id and bounced my own checking. The judge chose that each check was its own misdemeanor and everytime I showed my id to cash my own checks was an additional charge as an automatic felony. (I couldn't afford a good lawyer either so I didn't know that they could have got them clumped together) I never hurt anybody and I payed for my time & paid all cost and fines. I am now a much wiser 32 year old female who went to college, raised a family, and I haved worked endlessly and pay my taxes. I cannot afford to have my record expunged. I am a very good with guns especially since I grew up on a farm. Even have a 99.8% accuracy with a m 16 on a Navy base at the age of 13. I love and respect guns. The idiot above is saying that I basically don't ever deserve a chance because I screwed up once when I was young. That is rediculous! I wish that people like him would be forced to walk a mile in my shoes to see how hurtful it is not to be able to ever own a gun again and I wish he would know how wrong he is!!!!
    As for the correct answer..some of you got it right. You must have it expunged then do the proper court paperwork to be officially available to own a firearm. In Pennsylvania and Indiana it cost about $5,000 for each charge to be expunged. My cost would be around (24+7x $5,000) $155,000 which is not including cost for the lawyer leg work since an individual cannot expunge records on their own. I misplaced my money tree and I don't think they'll except a check from me ( ha ha just a joke!) Anyways, the law needs to go back to the 7 year rule like it use to be which endend for Pa around 1983-1985. I hope that the law changes, and that I enlighted people who felt that felons are monster and don't deserve to own a gun.(PS: Its the same rule for stunguns & tasers as firearms) Thanks for taking time to see things from a differeny side/view.

Quote Originally Posted by Montell C. Williams View Post
    In TN after release from prison and parole in 7 years all rights are restored for property crimes and paper crimes but not for violent crimes like rape armed robbery and murder. Also crimes in other states are treated as the same degree of crime that they would be if committed in TN, for example carrying a gun in NJ is a felony but in TN it is a misdemeanor.
    But you'd still be Federally prohibited due to the NJ conviction, no?

Hmmm College education and cant use spell check? Anyway, yes every time that you commit a crime it is another offense.
    Sorry but that's the way it should work for any crime. If I go out and rob 14 gas stations is it just lumped into one charge? And how do you think that committing check fraud is not hurting anyone? Do you think that makes it Ok? No. And a crime is a crime, you broke the law. Part of making bad choices is the fact that you have to live with them the rest of your life. The Lord may forgive past sins but Society does not. it stays with you for the rest of your life, that is why they call it your "permanent record". It is something that they should engrave on the foreheads of every kid in school, committing a crime stays with you forever. And its not just paying some money to clear your name, its still up to a judge to decide.
    And under the penalties for repeatedly committing the crime you give up some of your rights because the judicial system has judged that you have a proclivity for criminal behavior. This is how it works for everyone
    So as a penalty, to KEEP you honest and PREVENT you from ever owning any instrument that can be used against any of your law abiding neighbors who never made bad decisions as a youth, you are prevented from owning them.
    Furthermore, if you are found with one in your possession you will go back to prison. It is a deterrent designed to keep guns away from people who have shown that in the past they have shown bad decision making.
    Last edited by bigandy1966; January 2nd, 2012 at 05:56 PM.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast