Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Is it worth it?

(Lancaster County)

Default Is it worth it?

I was reading another thread about 1st responders or the police finding you were carrying after a traffic accident and it raises a question for me. Is it worth making and laminating a small word doc. for your wallet stating something along the lines of "I have a LTCF and am carrying...If pistol is not on my person PLEASE look around and secure it!"

God forbid anyone is in an accident but if you were, and were knocked out or unable to speak, is there any valid reasons you would not want to alert 1st responders to find your weapon??

What ya think?

Default Re: Is it worth it?

I've wondered about that too...I've read the stories where folks have lost property after an accident where they were taken to the hospital. Good luck figuring out which of the 20-30 odd people who had access to the car from the time of the crash to when someone gets to the impound or towing company to go through the car.

You gotta figure the cop will check the glove box...but what if there is a weapon in another place in the car? Good question...

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Is it worth it?

Cards in the wallet won't be seen until you get to the ER.

Medics and EMT's have higher priorities than rooting through a wallet on the scene, and in addition it looks bad.

Medics might look for a medic alert bracelet, but that is about it.

If you are unconscious, the weapon will be found during the initial survey looking for injuries, and handed to a police officer. I've only had this happen a couple times and it is not an issue with us. If quickness is an issue, your belt will be cut and the weapon and holster will be removed as a unit so the medic doesn't have to mess with it.

I remove police belts too as they are bulky and impede treatment. I have had another officer secure the injured officer's weapon.

This is important especially when the cop is dead or wounded, since the weapon is part of the chain of evidence and I try and stay out of that, believe it or not I have sadly had to deal with this situation more than once.

The entire car is secured by the police at the scene.

Weapons are property and are treated with respect and safety.
    Last edited by Whiskey Delta; February 18th, 2009 at 07:36 PM.
    He was one of God’s own prototypes—a high-powered mutant of some kind who was never even considered for mass production. He was too weird to live and too rare to die....