Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Mercer County)

Default Nikon Monarch gold vs Leupold VXIII vs Bushnell 4200????

I just bought a 308 action and some great people on here pointed me in the right direction for a stock and now Im calling on the help of the forum once more. I need a scope. 4-16 at least a 40mm. 42 and 44 preferred. Im looking at the Monarch Gold, the Leupold VXIII and the Bushnell 4200. Any recomendations would be helpful. thanks
    14OO N. HERMITAGE RD, HERMITAGE,PA 724-962-1776......STOP BY AND SEE US SOME TIME

(Berks County)

Default Re: Nikon Monarch gold vs Leupold VXIII vs Bushnell 4200????

All three have same warranty, but Leupold & Bushnell (formerly Bausch & Lomb) have far superior after the sale Customer Service.

Optically all pretty close but edge goes to Leupold for durability over the Monarch, and the Bushnell 4200 over the Leupold for design intent, resolution, and inner construction is even much stronger.
    The new Storm Coat is nice for hunting applications.

I know from experience that Bushnell has great customer service, as well as personal experience with Leupold. I'm still disappointed in Leupold several years back for the Premier Reticle fiascco, but whatever. That's kind of a BIG hole in their customer service, but that's old news I supposed, just don't EVER have someone else do work on a Leupold scope; even if it's an APPROVED and AUTHORIZED Leupold repair center, send it off. I have heard good things about Nikon's customer service, but I don't have any experience with them.

I have not looked through a Nikon Monarch Gold, so I can't say anything about their scopes. I will say that the Leupold VXIII doesn't even come CLOSE to comparing to the Bushnell Elite 4200 in terms of optical clarity. I've had them side by side, and it's not even funny how much brighter, more colorful and better the resolution is on the Bushnell Elite 4200. As I said, I haven't looked through a Nikon Monarch Gold, but I would be surprised if the glass was even on the same level, much less better. This might not be the case though, so we'll see if someone who has looked through both side by side can comment. The Bushnell Elite 4200's are durable scopes, I've put hundreds of rounds down them in .300 winmag, 7 STW, 7mm Mag, and other calibers without any loss of zero or problems with the scope. As Guns & Glass said, the "rainguard" on the Bushnell Elite's does work and is nice.

For the money, I don't think the Leupold's should really be considered in best glass/dollar, compared to the Bushnell Elite 4200. They don't even necessarily have as many features. The one thing that they will have just a bit more over the Bushnell Elite is travel, which can be remedied by a 20 moa base if you just have to have the travel. This will depend on your shooting and distances, but most .308's need a 20 moa base anyway to take them long distance. So this pretty much puts you in the same place as the Bushnell elite with travel.

When comparing the Bushnell Elite to the Nikon Monarch Gold, the Nikon Monarch Gold has the side focus, which you can get on the Elite 4200. On the Nikon Monarch Gold you can only go to 10x, which may not be enough magnification for you. With the Bushnell Elite 4200 Tactical (which is still less money), you would have 6-24x with nice glass. You'd have the side focus and even have the tactical turrets; both have a 50mm objective. I doubt you'd want to go to the 56mm objective because it's getting big. I have one, they're awesome in terms of light gathering, but people have alot of problems with properly sight picture because of the height, and finding rings, etc. If you had your heart set on a BDC reticle, they're way over rated, and not gonna work with all loads. I'd take a mil-dot reticle over the BDC reticle every day, all the time, all my life. Basically, in my humble opinion, and I'll agree without looking through a Nikon Monarch Gold; you need to go with the Bushnell Elite 4200.

(Bucks County)

The new line of Leupold VX III's blows the others out of the water. Actually I have a Bushnell 4200 and a couple or three Nikons and the "old" Leupold VX III's blow them away too.

Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

(Venango County)

For what it's worth, I have a 4200 Elite 6-24 mill dot. I absolutely love this scope. I think it is much clearer than a VXIII. I have no experience with the Monarch.

(Bucks County)

As I said, check out the new line of VX III's. The only thing I own that is better is a Nightforce.

Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

I guess that I need to Pukingdog, because I didn't even think the old ones compared. Not that they weren't a good scope, and durable as hell, I just didn't think the optics were quite up to par. I'll have to go check one out and break out the charts to see.

(Berks County)

Leupold for a long time has been like US auto makers that have finally woke up and are making better products....almost.

New VX III has gone thru three (3) morphs (VXIII, VXIII w/MC4) and now being the VX 3.

Improvements are:
    Dual (2) erector springs> Burris has had that for over 15 years.

Extended Twighlight Lens> Burris & 4000/4200 series has has for years.

Diamond Coat 2> Used because they went to lead & arsenic free lenses that are softer so it's easier to damage & break. Europen makers wnet to this becuase of regulations concerning lead & arsenic. Wow, more "lets go green".

Argon/Krypton Gas> Molecules are bigger than Nitrogen so it's harder for the gas to leak thru the seals, butT it's riding the marketing backside of advertising on better windows which don't act or work like rifle scopes.

Burris & 4200 have had better glass and the 7 layer coating (not 4 like Leupold) is a hard coating not as hard as Diamond 2 but it's more resolute.

Now, if one compares the new VX 7 which I saw at a meeting 3 years ago, it has far surpasses the VXIII/Mark 4 (same glass), and the older LPS (an Amercianized Leica). It is equal to almost anything that's come out of Europe.

(Mercer County)

I got a chance last weekend to look through a Bushnell 4200 and a Leupold VXIII. The Leupold seemed to be a little darker at high power which is a bad thing for me since I'm gonna be using this gun for coyote every once and a while. I dont want to go any bigger than 44mm cause I might be taking this gun through the woods and brush sometimes and the 50mm is too big for that. I appericate everyones input on this topic. It's a very hard choice. I do have a bench rifle in 308 already so im trying not to go to "tactical" on this gun. I'm leaning towards the Nikon because it is clearer than the other 2 and I like the design better. I will post what I get whenever I decide. Thank you. Keep the opinions coming though!!
    14OO N. HERMITAGE RD, HERMITAGE,PA 724-962-1776......STOP BY AND SEE US SOME TIME

(Berks County)

Good to compare side by side!!! Not surprised with your observation.

FYI, some must food for thought when comparing to help quickly eliminate lesser optics.

1. Compare models in the 'same family'. IE Monarch=4200=VXIII=Signature.
    Also applies to 22 RF vs. shotgun vs. rifle scopes.

2. Use same magnification. If not then brightness, and clarity will be affected.

3. New & just out of the box most makers set eyepiece for 20/20. If it's a sample that's been 'sampled' the Occular will usually be changed which absolutely will affect viewing experience. MUST adjust Occular CORRECTLY only one basic way with a short cut but they must all be done the same way.

4. If an adjustable Objective or Side Focus set at Infinity (I call it the "Lazy 8" because it's laying down). While not perfect it helps level the playing field.

If not an adjustable Objective or Side Focus most makers already have them set @ 100 yards/meters it's equal.

5. Observe objects w/both vertical & horizontal lines in BLACK which is the
    abscence (or absorbion) of any/all colors so it again helps to level the playing field.

Ever wonder why poor--low quality priced scopes 'look good' almost as good as higher priced optics? Some makers have been coating scopes for certain color bandwidths...EVEN knowing that most viewed will be in a building w/artifical light.

Alot more can be written hope this helps if not already known.

FWIW: 4200's & Burris Signatures have much stronger lens cell construction, stronger erector tubes (hardened brass vs aluminum/nylon), stronger erector spring-springs.

PS: Scopes that look good are like a great looking woman who can't cook, clean, gerat Mother, romantic, and great married partner