Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default If I have to go to Jersey???

I live in Florida and have a FL. Carry Permit. I visit family in Pa. and need to go into Jersey. I understand I can transport in a case, not loaded and not in my reach. Is that about right? Now, what about the JHP ammo in my mags?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: If I have to go to Jersey???

You can only transport a firearm (and ammunition) through NJ (Under FOPA, 18 USCS § 926A) if both the firearm and ammo are legal at both your origin and destination.

It is my understanding that to posses a pistol in NJ, you need to have a NJ Firearm Owners ID card. If you do not, then you cannot legally posess the firearm in NJ

Also, JHP ammo is a BIG no-no in NJ. Even possessing that, without the firearm, can land you in hot water.

In short, if you are going to NJ, leave the gun at home.

Quote Originally Posted by ZO6Vettever View Post
    I live in Florida and have a FL. Carry Permit. I visit family in Pa. and need to go into Jersey. I understand I can transport in a case, not loaded and not in my reach. Is that about right? Now, what about the JHP ammo in my mags?

Traveling through or with a NJ destination? It matters.

The firearm must be in a secure case (not necessarily locked) and in the trunk or rear area of the vehicle if no trunk. The back seat won't hack it even if out of your reach. Magazines should be unloaded and ammo secured in an area away from the gun. Hollow point ammo is prohibited.

Great place to live - not!

(Northampton County)

It is my understanding that to posses a pistol in NJ, you need to have a NJ Firearm Owners ID card.
    No...not true. A NJ FID allows a person to BUY a long gun & I believe handgun ammo/any ammo.?? The law recently changed. A pistol purchase permit is required to buy a handgun.

But at the same time you can't just go about your business with a handgun in your vehicle in NJ. The laws there are very restrictive.

(Pike County)

Howdy ZO6.
    IANAL, but as I understand this you are going to Pa from Fla. If NJ was between the two then you can transport through NJ going to Pa. I do not think that you can make a case that NJ is between the two.
    If you are driving around after reaching your destination in Pa then I think that you will have a problem if you get stopped in NJ.
    The whole HP ammo thing is highly discussed and cussed. Bottom line is do you want to be the case to make case law, and do you have the $$$ to fight the charge.
    As an escapee of the PRNJ, let me assure you that almost every cop in NJ will arrest and let the court sort it out. Don't matter if it's the gun or the ammo. Yes, you may get off, after a legal bill for five or six digits. Then you get to sue to get your gun back.
    Also, remember that NJ has a mag limit, 15, and possession of a mag, even without a gun is a felony.
    BTW, your Fla permit means nothing in NJ.
    I know that people like to push the issues, but stay out of NJ with guns, ammo, or mags.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
    Traveling through or with a NJ destination? It matters.

The firearm must be in a secure case (not necessarily locked) and in the trunk or rear area of the vehicle if no trunk. The back seat won't hack it even if out of your reach. Magazines should be unloaded and ammo secured in an area away from the gun. Hollow point ammo is prohibited.

Great place to live - not!
    Laws may suck, but at least you can easily get a job, and there's a chinese food store on nearly every block. There's also a bunch of other convenience stores everywhere.

I'm so screwed here in the sticks, and god knows how I'll get out of my jobless jam, but hey! I got guns.

Tip for carrying firearms in NJ:
    A) buy a small safe, medium size safe, and a large safe one for ammo another for guns. Put the gun/ammo into the small safe. Put the small safe into the medium size safe, and then put the medium size safe into the large safe.

B) If you get pulled over be very afraid, but keeps your hand out in front of you.

The only people who I ever say with guns in NJ, were rich multimillionaires.

Watch out when traveling in my hometown passaic, nj, because the last thing I can remember seeing there is a douche thug flashing me with his pistol that he had tucked in his pants not to mention that on july 4th people can be seen shooting guns in the streets.
    I always get lost in writing sorry.

Just call the new jersey state police and ask for the firearms div.
    and talk to them you might get a high strung a hole or some one that will talk to you get there name and keep it
    Dont have the HP ammo or high cap mags the HP ammo is ok to and from the range but why bother with it.
    I have a pick up with a tool box I put guns in lockable cases in the tool box and lock the box, if I get pulled over they have no need to go in the locked tool box I wouldnt even tell them unless they ask and I wouldnt try and stop them.
    If they lock you up they will find something to stick so you couldnt press charges other wize its like winning the lottery.

Heres a message I sent my Assemblyman yesterday

I cant figure out why law abiding firearm owners are being treated like
    criminals, every time we buy a firearm we pass a background check so
    that
    means we are not alcoholic's or drug user's and never committed a crime
    or
    assaulted anyone So that should mean we are good law abiding people!
    By passing laws like this only hurts law-abiding citizens!

Thanks you for taking the time to read this
    Ted

OK time to repost what I do.

First you don’t need a firearms id card. They are for purchasing long arms.

I do not recommend anyone bring a firearm into NJ unless it's unavoidable.
    If you have family in NJ to visit and you are spending the night IMO legally transporting a handgun (which is legal to possess in NJ) is legal. I do it, have done it and will continue to do it. Just out of an abundance of caution I have my unloaded gun disabled, i.e. slide removed, or cable lock with the mag. removed and empty, locked in a secure box. The ammo is locked in a separate secure box. You cannot secure your gun as mentioned and drive into NJ for the afternoon to visit grandma and then hop back across the border.

The jhp thing IMO is also a myth. It’s up to you. I read the law as possessing Jhp’s in a loaded firearm outside private property to be illegal, not the legal transport of them.

Of course this doesn’t mean you won’t get screwed we are talking about NJ here. This is just how I handle the situation when I have no other alternative due to long travel distances.
    FUCK BIDEN

Well thanks for all the replies. I would be more illegal than a child molester at Chucky Cheese. Hollow points in 16 round mags, oh my God, 3 hots and a cot in Trenton State! I'll leave the evil weapon at the in-laws if I should have to go to Jersey. Driving up I'm legal in all but Maryland and will lock er' up while driving through there. One of the reasons I got a permit was a couple trips ago I had 5 gangsta types at an I 95 motel doing what looked like sizing my wife and I up. When we got the 2 dogs out of the car they vanished like a fart in the wind. That's when I realized I needed more than my revolver and went to a 16+1 9mm. I should feel comfortable in Jersey un-armed because surely they have no crime without guys like us carrying them evil guns!

See NJSP.org for answers. You do not need a firearms ID but you can't drive around aimlessly and the 16 round magazines will get you in trobule.

Hollow point ammo is prohibited.

Also, JHP ammo is a BIG no-no in NJ. Even possessing that, without the firearm, can land you in hot water.

Hollow point ammo is legal to possess in NJ see NJSP.org for info.

The only people who I ever say with guns in NJ, were rich multimillionaires.

I know a lot of people in NJwho are not millionaires and own guns. Get away from the cities and most of the land area of NJ is conservative. The cities have the population (ergo votes) to keep trenton staffed with liberals.

Do not take any of what I say here as a defense of NJ gun laws which are overly restrictive and have no effect on crime.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast