Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Schuylkill County)

Default Two hand versus one hand stance

My father-in-law is into NRA hangun compeitions, he goes to Camp Perry and other shoots.

He always says that you should only shoot one handed. He shoots right handed, standing perpindicular to the target. He usually puts his left hand slightly in his pants pocket. He is very good and was an alternate for the Olympic team years ago.

When I shoot weaver style he always rags on me. What is the primary difference in the two styles?

(Tioga County)

Default Re: Two hand versus one hand stance

The primary difference is that shooting one handed is required in the competitions your father in law shoots in. Go watch a IDPA or IPSC or a Bianchi cup match. They use two hands except when one hand is called for.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock17 View Post
    My father-in-law is into NRA hangun compeitions, he goes to Camp Perry and other shoots.

He always says that you should only shoot one handed. He shoots right handed, standing perpindicular to the target. He usually puts his left hand slightly in his pants pocket. He is very good and was an alternate for the Olympic team years ago.

When I shoot weaver style he always rags on me. What is the primary difference in the two styles?

As rwilson said the types of competitions your father shoots in require one hand.

As for combat shooting Jeff Cooper once said something to the effect that when man became serious about hitting something with a handgun he started using 2 hands.

You should include some weak hand strong hand shooting in your practice though.

(Berks County)

im not sure about all the rules and regs of competition....but for me as i got better at shooting, i started practicing one handed then weak hand shooting....just for the reason that u never know what will happen, such as your weak hand injured so u cant shoot two handed or your strong hand injured then u must shoot weak handed......id rather practice that at the range then being in a situation where my right hand is injured and i cant shoot worht a crap when my life depends on it.....practice all three but a perfect situation im shooting with two hands

billy

(Westmoreland County)

Competition is one thing, fighting with a handgun is quite another.

There is overlap in certain of the techiques to be sure, but we do not want to employ those particular competition techniques on the street or in the home or we'd be at an extreme disadvantage. I state this believing full well he is an excellent shot.

(Delaware County)

You NEED to learn all three "positions" - 2 hand or freestyle, strong hand only and weak hand only. Learning amd conquering weak hamd will make your freestyle and strong hand better.

The one hand technique comes from earlier times when warriors were equipped with other stuff. The "Stuff" was a horse, or a tomahawk, or a rifle, always a knife, sometimes aspear/pike/club.

Some competitors are phenomenal with their skill level whether it be the pure side seen at Camp Perry / Olympics or speed and precision at a big IPSC / IDPA venue.

Best regards,
    chalmitch
    "If you believe the term "militia" means the National Guard then you must believe that freedom of speech is reserved for the Government Printing Office." - Some guy, 2/2007