Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default gun bought at a bar?

Ok a guy at work was asking me about a 357 that his dad had bought off a guy in a bar about 10-12 years ago.His dad left it to him or gave it not exactly sure but he was asking me what to do with it?Could he have the serial numbers checked?What if it came back hot or was used in a crime?I didn't know were to start trying to answer so thought this would be the best place to ask

(Delaware County)

Default Re: gun bought at a bar?

There is not much to do at this point. There is no "registration" in PA with the PIC. Keep it, shoot it.

Best regards,
    chalmitch
    "If you believe the term "militia" means the National Guard then you must believe that freedom of speech is reserved for the Government Printing Office." - Some guy, 2/2007

(Allegheny County)

10-12 years ago the registration number wasnt even used, and I dont believe that all the transfer laws were in place. Basically I'm pretty sure your free to do whatever with it and not worry. If it's been shot for 10-12 years, the balistics wouldnt even match up.

(Luzerne County)

The serial number will show the last "registered" owner of the handgun. If his dad bought the gun at a bar I'm willing to bet the handgun was never transfered legally.

Issuing Authority Guest

Hey Craig,

There is a registration law requirement in PA, but only for the "sale or transfer" of a firearm...
    It was & is in effect both then, (10-12 years ago,) and now...
    (So the "sale" at a bar was most likely illegal... has to be done at/by a licensed dealer or County Sheriff.)

The registration of sale or transfer does not apply to firearms left to offspring (grandfather > father > son, etc..) such as upon death, or in a will, or such.

As another poster said... a current check of the S/N would show the last known registered owner, &/or if it was lost/stolen/wanted...
    (In this case, not likely to show your bud, or his dad, or even likely the "seller".)

Like the other posts have said... he could have an LEO run the S/N...
    but it might come up lost/stolen/wanted, and he would risk losing it. <or not>
    (In any of those events... he seems to be "clean" under the circumstances.)

And last, but not least, as others have said, he could just keep/use it, (as is,) with not much else happening... unless/until it somehow might possibly come to the attention of law enforcement, whereupon it's 'history' might raise some issues.

Hope that might help.
    Be safe!

Quote Originally Posted by craigc View Post
    Ok a guy at work was asking me about a 357 that his dad had bought off a guy in a bar about 10-12 years ago.His dad left it to him or gave it not exactly sure but he was asking me what to do with it?Could he have the serial numbers checked?What if it came back hot or was used in a crime?I didn't know were to start trying to answer so thought this would be the best place to ask

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    The serial number will show the last "registered" owner of the handgun. If his dad bought the gun at a bar I'm willing to bet the handgun was never transfered legally.

Exactly Steve I believe he said at the time his dad bought it a smith 357 for 50.00. I think he was just worried as he said it is the only pistol he owns and uses it as a home defense gun and was worried about pending reprecissions might arise if he ever had to use it in self defense,He is not a CCW holder

(York County)

Anytime you can possess a gun the government don't know about, thats a good thing.
    " The Seeds of Oppression Will One Day Bear The Fruit of Rebellion."