Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Ammo prices are still up, why??

People are panic buying and stockpiling ammunition, over fears that the Obama administration may move to severely curtail gun rights. That is keeping prices high, even though they otherwise would be coming down due to the dropping price of the commodities used to manufacture ammunition.

Remember that ammunition wasn't exactly cheap before the election, either. The global boom in metals, and demand from wars, had pushed ammunition prices way up.

On the flip side if the panic buying ever diminishes, you could potentially see prices drop drastically as the market corrects from both the over-demand and the cheaper metal prices. The price of most things drops during a recession, after all.

I guess all we can do is wait and see. I'm personally hoping that the panic buying wears off soon. I don't really feel the need to stockpile too much, but I shoot frequently and I'm starting to get a little low and it's damned hard to find anything at a reasonable price anymore.

(Lehigh County)

I cant believe that 7.62x39 would ever catch up with the cheaper 223 ammo. I think ammo will go up until everyone who just bought guns in the last month stockpiles then it should slow up im thinking june.

i bought my stuff when it was cheap. i refuse to pay those ridiculous prices.
    FJB

(Lancaster County)

I've cut back on my shooting, and continue to buy when I find adequate deals.
    In these uncertain days, this seems to be the best course of action.

(Bucks County)

i cant even find blanks for my m44 anywhere online.
    i got shot, you should buy my stuff

(Beaver County)

Bogey1,

These may be the cheapest ammo prices that you'll ever see again in your life. What if that is true...? You quit shooting guns and start looking at them on Sundays?

I'm taking the opposite approach... I'm buying the shit out of ammo now becauser I'm thinking it is only getting worse from here!!

The idiot in charge of the country isn't about to do an ammo tax rebate.... Ponder for a moment what he will do if anything...

And even if he doesn't do what you just pondered..... new prices have been carved into the headstones of ammo, AK's, SKS's, AR-15's, and many others. The gun dealers are LOVING LIFE! They are not eager to go back to 8-12% profit margins after sucking up 40-80% profit margins..... they want to keep this shit going on FOREVER! (I would to if it was my business! Money was good...last time I checked...)

So by setting out... you may be screwing yourself... hard.... in the poop shute!

North Carolina, formerly from PA, North Carolina

Prices went up in 08 due to metal prices. They've stayed high due to extraordinary Obama-related demand. There is no reason for manufacturers or retailers to drop prices if people are buying. I was just thinking this morning that ammo makers and sellers must be making a ton of money, since metal costs have gone down so much.

I think prices will come back down later this year as people reduce buying. After all, how much ammo are most people going to buy?

I've bought very little ammo over the past 10 months, and I don't really need to buy any more at this time. I'm waiting to see if prices come down, which I think will happen.

larry0071, what i have done is started reloading (pistol). im sure i'll buy some ammo when i get a good deal but for now i dont have the extra money. i have a pretty good stash for a rainy day. what i am going to buy is another case or two of .22 lr those you can never have enough of..
    FJB

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    larry0071, what i have done is started reloading (pistol). im sure i'll buy some ammo when i get a good deal but for now i dont have the extra money. i have a pretty good stash for a rainy day. what i am going to buy is another case or two of .22 lr those you can never have enough of..
    Reloading... thats something I never honestly pondered to hard on. It sounds like something that takes a lot of equipment ($$),time and energy... both are things I only have so much of. Days are short..... There is only so much free time!

I have a buddy that is starting to buy reloading stuff. Maybe I'll convince him to reload for me...lol... that saves me time, money and energy!

well i lucked out on the pistol side of reloading, my friend gave me a brand new unopened dillon xl 650 with four different caliber dies, and all the bells and whistles except the auto case feeder. as for the VERY HIGH caliber rounds, i started reloading them about five years ago, @ 3.00-7.00 per bullet (to buy) it was a wise decision to purchase the reloader and components while they were still affordable.
    FJB

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast