Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Ohio & West Virginia Carry

Noticed on a thread that the reason Ohio doesn't recognize PA LTCF is because of lack of training in PA. So it begs the question, does Ohio recognize all state's that require training? When getting my CC permit in Texas a while back we had classroom training (1 day) and range qualifying (1/2 day) plus fingerprinting. So my guess is Ohio would be OK with that, but are they good with all other states that require training? What level of training is enough? Inquiring minds want to know.
    Also since I pretty much never OC I hadn't thought to ask before, I know OC is legal in PA, but I work in WV. The clerk at my favorite gun shop in WV OC's, but haven't seen anyone on the street, so what say all you experts? Is OC legal in WV?

On a funny training side note, in Texas when applying for a Concealed Carry permit (Yes that is what they call it there) if you do your range qualifying with a revolver you only get a license to carry a revolver. If however you qualify with a semi you can carry either. Understanding the legislative mind is something I will never be capable of.

Default Re: Ohio & West Virginia Carry

Quote Originally Posted by indianjack View Post
    Noticed on a thread that the reason Ohio doesn't recognize PA LTCF is because of lack of training in PA. So it begs the question, does Ohio recognize all state's that require training? When getting my CC permit in Texas a while back we had classroom training (1 day) and range qualifying (1/2 day) plus fingerprinting. So my guess is Ohio would be OK with that, but are they good with all other states that require training? What level of training is enough? Inquiring minds want to know.
    Also since I pretty much never OC I hadn't thought to ask before, I know OC is legal in PA, but I work in WV. The clerk at my favorite gun shop in WV OC's, but haven't seen anyone on the street, so what say all you experts? Is OC legal in WV?

On a funny training side note, in Texas when applying for a Concealed Carry permit (Yes that is what they call it there) if you do your range qualifying with a revolver you only get a license to carry a revolver. If however you qualify with a semi you can carry either. Understanding the legislative mind is something I will never be capable of.
    What's strange too is that WV requires training for its residents to get a carry permit...but PA has reciprocity with WV and of course we have no required training.

(Venango County)

those would more be questions for an Ohio, or WV board.....

check opencarry.org for the WV Question, and probably Ohio Attorney General site for their requirements.....I'd hate to steer you wrong....

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(Jefferson County)

I've OC'd all over West By God.. OC is legal in WV except in a couple cities. WV would be a "Gold State" at opencarry.org, in fact it was at one time, however a couple municipalities' local gun laws were grandfathered from preemption. WIth a recent law revision, open carrying in a car without a license is in a gray area where once it was known as legal so long as it wasn't a hunting pistol.

OH doesn't recognize all that require training by default, they still require agreements. OH's requirements for it's own licensee's is limited to their own licenses. OH's reciprocal requirement just requires "training". If you have a FL or VA license, both accept DD214's and Hunter Safety course cards as training. And both licenses are good in OH.

You all have to realize that some of these agreements are signed with a wink and a nudge.. Just about all the states that we've signed with require training, but some things have been overlooked for the common good. With WV+PA's agreement, expect it to get challenged someday and vacated. There are a couple hardasses in both PA and WV that wants that agreement voided and they are going to use WV's training requirement against us.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    What's strange too is that WV requires training for its residents to get a carry permit...but PA has reciprocity with WV and of course we have no required training.
    I knew that, which is why when I first moved here I didn't bother getting a LTCFP because I spend most of my time in WV. But when I heard they had added PA reciprocity and that combined with reading on this forum how good the service was in Greene country got me to make the leap.

knight0334 pretty much hit the nail on the head when it comes to Ohio's standard for reciprocity.

We are required to have 12 hours of training, (10 hours in the classroom, and 2 hours range time) , by a certified instructor. Many of the states we have agreements with do not meet those standards, so your guess is as good as mine.

Open carry in Ohio is legal while on foot, but you must have an Ohio CHL
    ( Concealed Handgun Licence ) , or a permit from a reciprocal state to carry in a vehicle.

Also, be aware that no gun signs do carry weight of law in Ohio weather you are OC or CC. You can be charged with trespass for ignoring a no gun sign, without being asked to leave first.

This link, http://www.ohioccw.org/content/view/3990/83/ , sheds more light on changes in our law as of September 08 , including some changes on vehicle transport without a CHL.

While open carry in most parts of WV is not unlawful, there are some municipalities with regulations that were grandfathered in when the state preemption passed. To date the only known municipalities are Charleston and Dunbar.

WVCDL is currently working to introduce and pass legislation that would strengthen state preemption and do away with the hassle of trying to figure out if Town A has a grandfathered ordinance or not.

Other than those two known places, Open Carry is legal in WV including in a vehicle without a permit. It is critical here to know the legal definition of "concealed". §61-7-2-10 spells it out. If your are going to OC in a vehicle, it must be plainly visible. However to conceal in a vehicle, you must have a valid concealed handgun license or one from a state WV has reciprocity with. WV does not honor any type of non-resident permit, regardless of reciprocity agreement(s).

For more information, or further discussion you are welcome to come to WVCDL's website and message board.
    Last edited by WVneighbor; February 17th, 2009 at 01:23 AM.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.