Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Traffic Stop RT 80 1.8 miles from 115

Quote Originally Posted by lprgcFrank View Post
    Here's another positive LEO experience.

I got a speeding ticket the other day heading up Rt 322 about 16 miles outside of State College - Corporal was from the Mifflin PD.

He pulled me over - I thought I was in a 65 - it was 55 - My fault for not paying enough attention to the signs. Juniata county is all 55.

I was OC'ing my 1911 and 2 spare mags. I had to go past my mags to get my wallet - he noticed but said nothing. Only after he came back and gave me my ticket did he ask if I was carrying - I said yes - 1911 in .45 - he said good gun. I asked if he needed to see my LTCF - he said no need - just slow down.

The officer was very professional
    Nice report. Come to think about it... I haven't heard a "LEO hassled me for carrying" report in a while.... this is a good thing!!!
    The 2nd amendment is the RESET BUTTON on the constitution.
    Faith, Fun, and Firearms.
    Grace Life Church member

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon118 View Post
    Nice report. Come to think about it... I haven't heard a "LEO hassled me for carrying" report in a while.... this is a good thing!!!
    Considering incidents like Dickson City and SFN's revocation being overturned, along with it being rumored that LEOs are now receiving "open carry" briefings in MPOTEC and legal updates, this may be the reason.

Typically, as long as we respect them (both in person and here on the forum - I'm sure there's a few LEOs who read this, especially when we give them our flyers) they will typically respect us.

-38SnubFan

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 38SnubFan View Post
    Considering incidents like Dickson City and SFN's revocation being overturned, along with it being rumored that LEOs are now receiving "open carry" briefings in MPOTEC and legal updates, this may be the reason.

Typically, as long as we respect them (both in person and here on the forum - I'm sure there's a few LEOs who read this, especially when we give them our flyers) they will typically respect us.

-38SnubFan
    Agreed. I have had 2 incidents within the past 30 days myself that have both been very positive. I am very pleased with the turnaround from just last year in how gun owners in PA are being treated. Granted that we have a long way to go until we reach the founding fathers ideas of "shall not be infringed" but I can't say that I'm dissapointed in the way PA is heading as far as LEO understading, and general population awareness of gun rights.
    The 2nd amendment is the RESET BUTTON on the constitution.
    Faith, Fun, and Firearms.
    Grace Life Church member

(Allegheny County)

(2)Why didn't you just verbalize that you were carrying, if you felt the need to notify him.
    That's fine, but you want to choose your words carefully so as to not cause any alarm.

There was a video posted here awhile back about how to handle LEO stops. One possibility they mentioned was a second trooper coming around the side of the vehicle without you noticing him, while the first trooper talks to you and takes your information. They can only half hear the conversation, and all they hear is the word "gun". If it's an inexperienced trooper, or even an experienced one who gets a little too excited, things could get ugly.

The video suggested saying something along the lines of "I have a concealed carry permit, and I am carrying today." as a way of conveying that you are carrying without causing any alarm. I don't particularly care for that since I won't refer to a PA LTCF as a "concealed carry permit", but also because it's still a somewhat ambiguous statement.

The term "firearm" however has a much more neutral connotation to it than the word "gun" for whatever reason, so I'd probably go with that.

+1 for the C&R... little bit goes a long way

now slow the hell down.....
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

Quote Originally Posted by 38SnubFan View Post
    -38SnubFan
    Agreed. We are all better off for those few who have chosen to bear the burden and fight for their rights. Thank you.

i dont cc but i do respect the police in that when they do pull u they dont know what they are up against and although i am not a particular friend of the police i do aknowledge the danger factor they are up against. i learned along time ago when a cop pulls you over turn on you inside light, keep you hands visible and as with anyone treat them with the respect and dignity they deserve. until a tree jumped out in front of me and the cops locked me up for abuse of the fauna i have never had a bad exp with a cop. in fact i have never been pulled for something i did not deserve . in philly.
    gbppd
    To err is human, to be prepared divine

(Monroe County)

Good report but I have to ask. Fl to IML, Jonas Pa what the heck were you doing on 80??

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

You guys do what you want but IMHO being courteous and respectful is NOT the same thing is giving up information that could get you slammed up against a vehicle, disarmed (at best) and possibly have to fight to get your gun back or have guns pointed at you (at worst but has happened) when you can just as easily just keep your mouth shut.

I get pulled over much more than most people. I drive faster than all of you on a regular basis and I am ALWAYS polite and courteous but that does not mean I tell the officer where 'm going, if I have a gun, what's in my trunk, or if I like to wear womans underwear on Wednesdays and Fridays (I do) because it's none of his business.

Plus it rarely hurts to not tell him (with the rare exception that he might be able to see a gun on you) and sometimes it can make a simple traffic stop turn very ugly very quickly for no good reason.

My 2

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by eXceLon View Post
    they mentioned was a second trooper coming around the side of the vehicle without you noticing him
    And considering I had it muzzle down in the d/s front door he would have to be blind not to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post
    Good report but I have to ask. Fl to IML, Jonas Pa what the heck were you doing on 80??
    81 to 80 to 115 to 534. I could get off 81 on 209 or 54 but it takes longer due to slower speed limit and stops

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast