Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default Interstate travel question- saw the sticky, still confused!

Forgive me if I'm overlooking a direct answer already posted (checked these forums and Google, still unclear), but I just want to make sure I have the right info. I am driving with wife and kids to the wedding of a college buddy in Wilmington, NC. I know NC and VA have CCW reciprocity agreements with us, so I'm good there. Where I am unclear is how to legally get through the miserable states of Delaware, Maryland, and D.C. (beltway). Do I keep firearm and magazine (loaded/unloaded?) in seperate luggage bags locked in the trunk until we hit VA? Can I keep my pistol on my hip the whole time and simply remove mag and lock in trunk between PA and VA? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.
    "Things have taken a turn for the surreal." - Capt. John Miller

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Interstate travel question- saw the sticky, still confused!

Pistol and ammo must be stored in separate containers, and both locked in the truck. There is rumor that a loaded magazine might be a problem in MD, but no statutory requirement to unload mags under federal transport regulations.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Chester County)

Here's the Federal law on transport, pretty self explanatory:

18 USC § 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms
    Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
    There is no definition of 'unloaded' in the US Code so its interpretation would fall to contemporaneous usage. Just for safety I would suggest that all mags be cartridgeless but other than that gray area its fairly straight forward.

Another issue may arise is when you are stopped in a non-friendly state overnight and whether you can remove the firearm from the vehicle into you hotel room, for example. That may subject you to local/state laws which could complicate the matter. IANAL but I would guess that if you leave the firearms in the vehicle (flames expected) you are OK.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    Here's the Federal law on transport, pretty self explanatory:

There is no definition of 'unloaded' in the US Code so its interpretation would fall to contemporaneous usage. Just for safety I would suggest that all mags be cartridgeless but other than that gray area its fairly straight forward.

Another issue may arise is when you are stopped in a non-friendly state overnight and whether you can remove the firearm from the vehicle into you hotel room, for example. That may subject you to local/state laws which could complicate the matter. IANAL but I would guess that if you leave the firearms in the vehicle (flames expected) you are OK.

Thanks, appreciate the info. I have had my LTCF for 5+ years now but never traveled with a weapon.
    "Things have taken a turn for the surreal." - Capt. John Miller

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    Better idea, plan your trip so you're NOT staying overnight in a non-friendly state, then it's not an issue. Give your travel $$ to states that respect our rights.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by IV_Warrior View Post
    Better idea, plan your trip so you're NOT staying overnight in a non-friendly state, then it's not an issue. Give your travel $$ to states that respect our rights.
    +1. That's what I do. I would never leave my guns unattended in the car overnight no matter where I was.