Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Remington SPS Varmint vs. SPS Tactical

Looking at getting either a tactical or a varmint in .308. Seems like the only difference is that the tactical has a 20" barrel, "dual pillar point" bedding & X-Mark Pro trigger where as the varmint has a 26" barrel.

I'd rather get the Tactical, but know that the regular price on the varmint w/ a scope (OK, so it's a cheap scope) is $599 at Dick's, and that every couple of months it drops down to $499. I have not seen a Tactical anywhere and would expect it to be more $$$. How much more is the Tactical worth?

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Remington SPS Varmint vs. SPS Tactical

Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    Looking at getting either a tactical or a varmint in .308. Seems like the only difference is that the tactical has a 20" barrel, "dual pillar point" bedding & X-Mark Pro trigger where as the varmint has a 26" barrel.

I'd rather get the Tactical, but know that the regular price on the varmint w/ a scope (OK, so it's a cheap scope) is $599 at Dick's, and that every couple of months it drops down to $499. I have not seen a Tactical anywhere and would expect it to be more $$$. How much more is the Tactical worth?
    Handled a tactical. The stock seems alot nicer. The trigger seemed VERY NICE to me, but I have heard good & bad from others on the new X-Mark Pro trigger (harder to adjust, rework, etc.). Also, although the stock is nicer (Hogue overmold) and free floated, if a bipod is used or the forward part of the stock is on a sandbag, the stock will contact the barrel.

Here is a link for a review on the tactical SPS:
    http://www.snipercentral.com/spstactical.htm

Overall, I guess that I prefer the Tactical, but am not sure if it's worth the extra money over the SPS Varmint. Also, wish that the barrel was a little longer (maybe not 26, but at least 22 or 24).

If anyone has any comments on these two rifles, please comment!

(Jefferson County)

I am picking up an SPS Tactical in .223 pretty quick here. Only $520 on gunbroker and it's a dealer in PA to boot. Should settle in nicely next too the LTR in 308 already in the safe. The X marks are junk in my opinion. Better off replacing it with an old style trigger since you can pick them up pretty cheap. The flex of the hogue stock can be fixed by bedding the stock to make it more rigid, or by removing some material to free float the barrel even with the added force of the stock upward once a bipod is installed... And through different tests I have seen, and my own experience with my LTR, the 20" is the optimum length for 308. You lose a little bit of velocity but not alot over the longer barrels

(Lehigh County)

I have the SPS Tactical in .308 and love it. I have heard a few people complain about the X-Mark trigger but mine is flawless. Breaks clean at about 3lbs. I have shot .5 MOA groups at 100 and 200 yds with match ammo and .75 MOA groups with Federal Powershock hunting loads at these ranges as well. I know guys with custom made $2-3000 rifles that shoot only as well but for a whole lot more money.

You will loose @ 100-200 fps in velocity from the 26" bbl with the 20" bbl. This being said by shooting heavier bullets can compensate for the slightly slower MV.

I paid $600.00 (tax, PICS, etc..)for my SPS Tactical in December 2008. (my christmas present) The MSRP from Remington.com is $681.00. I have not had the chance to shoot the SPS Varmint in anything but .223 and I shot 1 MOA at 100yds with match ammo, which is the minimum standard for LEO and Military sniper rifles.

IMHO depending on what you wanted the rifle for... you could not go wrong with either choice. I puchased mine to build a sniper system, thinking I would have to do some work on it... turns out all I had to do was add a 6-24x50 scope and a 20 MOA mount and have been drivin' tacks ever since.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
    I have the SPS Tactical in .308 and love it. I have heard a few people complain about the X-Mark trigger but mine is flawless. Breaks clean at about 3lbs. I have shot .5 MOA groups at 100 and 200 yds with match ammo and .75 MOA groups with Federal Powershock hunting loads at these ranges as well. I know guys with custom made $2-3000 rifles that shoot only as well but for a whole lot more money.

You will loose @ 100-200 fps in velocity from the 26" bbl with the 20" bbl. This being said by shooting heavier bullets can compensate for the slightly slower MV.

I paid $600.00 (tax, PICS, etc..)for my SPS Tactical in December 2008. (my christmas present) The MSRP from Remington.com is $681.00. I have not had the chance to shoot the SPS Varmint in anything but .223 and I shot 1 MOA at 100yds with match ammo, which is the minimum standard for LEO and Military sniper rifles.

IMHO depending on what you wanted the rifle for... you could not go wrong with either choice. I puchased mine to build a sniper system, thinking I would have to do some work on it... turns out all I had to do was add a 6-24x50 scope and a 20 MOA mount and have been drivin' tacks ever since.
    We'll, that's good to hear. I guess I'll have to 'pull the trigger' & get one. BTW, what is a 20 MOA mount?

From my research I found the SPS varmint is the only SPS with a heavy barrel and it even has the same barrel and action as the 700p(still has a diff stock, and finish) so your most likely gonna get the most out of the SPS varmint when it comes to the SPS line of 700's.

If you want a 20", i'd check into the 700 LTR 20" fluted barrel w/ a better stock. Thinking about it for my next bolt action

ETA: must have been mistaken on the tactical, seems it does have a very heavy barrel. sorry about that
    Last edited by XD45; February 21st, 2009 at 10:54 PM.

(Lehigh County)

xd45: The SPS Tactical has a Heavy Barrel as well.

MMH: A 20 MOA mount is a tapered scope mount that allows you to have better use of the elevation capabilties of your scope. Example - My scope has 60 MOA of adjustment windage and elevation. When I zeroed at 100 yds I ended up using @ 30 MOA to get the zero which means I only have 30 MOA left to adjust for long range shots. It takes about 40 MOA (+/-) of adjustment to get from 100yds to 1000 yds leaving me 10 MOA short of my goal. With out the 20 MOA mount my rifle/scope combo would be limited point of aim = point of impact to about 800yds (estimated). I want to shoot out to 1000yds so I can either "hold off" or aim a little higher to get the extra range or add 20 MOA to the base which would allow me to adjust the scope so point of aim = point of impact at 1000yds. I have not shot this rilfle at ranges further than 200yds yet but am currently planning a trip to a 1000yd range this spring/summer. I have been trying to talk my dad into letting me set up to 600yds at his place but he is worried about not having a suitable back stop should I miss.

Hope I answered your question.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by XD45 View Post
    From my research I found the SPS varmint is the only SPS with a heavy barrel and it even has the same barrel and action as the 700p(still has a diff stock, and finish) so your most likely gonna get the most out of the SPS varmint when it comes to the SPS line of 700's.

If you want a 20", i'd check into the 700 LTR 20" fluted barrel w/ a better stock. Thinking about it for my next bolt action

ETA: must have been mistaken on the tactical, seems it does have a very heavy barrel. sorry about that
    I have an LTR in 308 and this would be the results.. 3 Shot group using $20 a box Remington premier match factory loads. 180rds down the pipe and love it. The holes and the splatter of the shoot-n-see can all be covered using a dime(quarter used for reference) Hopefully the SPS tactical I am getting in .223 will be as impressive Checked dealerprice on one the other day and was $517.95
    Last edited by Mxrider346; February 22nd, 2009 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mxrider346 View Post
    I have an LTR in 308 and this would be the results.. 3 Shot group using $20 a box Remington premier match factory loads. 180rds down the pipe and love it. The holes and the splatter of the shoot-n-see can all be covered using a dime(quarter used for reference) Hopefully the SPS tactical I am getting in .223 will be as impressive Checked dealerprice on one the other day and was $517.95

Well done sir, nice shooting. Now where did the other 2 bullets go? Lol, I'm just giving you heck because some of us prefer to measure with 5 shot groups about consistency. Just giving you a bit of heck, nice shooting.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    Well done sir, nice shooting. Now where did the other 2 bullets go? Lol, I'm just giving you heck because some of us prefer to measure with 5 shot groups about consistency. Just giving you a bit of heck, nice shooting.

Geez can't catch a break these days... A buddy and me were out shot three shot groups(ammo is expensive you know) that day. He had his XCT Tactical in 300winmag and me and my LTR in 308. The LTR showed him up that day haha

Anyway back to the thread. If I were you and wanted a nice, less expensive, tactical rifle. I would go with the SPS Tactical if you don't mind the shorter barrel. If not get the SPS varmint and try out that injection molded stock. If you don't like it you can always hit up ebay or Gunbroker and pick up a 700 police take off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast