Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Lehigh County)

Default Re: Remington SPS Varmint vs. SPS Tactical

Quote Originally Posted by Mxrider346 View Post
    I have an LTR in 308 and this would be the results.. 3 Shot group using $20 a box Remington premier match factory loads. 180rds down the pipe and love it. The holes and the splatter of the shoot-n-see can all be covered using a dime(quarter used for reference) Hopefully the SPS tactical I am getting in .223 will be as impressive Checked dealerprice on one the other day and was $517.95
    Hey MXrider you missed the quarter....WTF

BTW where did you find Rem Premier Match for $20.00 its almost $40.00 at cabellas.
    Last edited by ReconLdr; February 22nd, 2009 at 05:59 PM. Reason: wanted to ask a question
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Lebanon County)

I bought the SPS Varmint in .308. Right away ditched the stock....Put on the John Plaster ultimate sniper stock.(inexpensive but GREAT). Then I bought a Nikon Mil-dot scope...Right now its just sighted in at 200...Haven't grouped it yet, waiting for spring!!! I bought the original gun for 445.00 basically dealer cost as I "know someone"...

The X trigger is crisp and breaks clean, at the range I was grouping the size of a quarter (technical term, as I didn't bother to take my micrometer) at 200yds..I probably could go out and actually measure the paper...OK, hold on I'll go measure.... 0.153 group..I really wish my gun room was in the house!

The stock that comes with the gun is not bedded and the stock is definately not free floating. The Choate stock is bedded and free floated..

I still want to have some smithy work done to her, but that has to wait till after my daughter is here...

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
    Hey MXrider you missed the quarter....WTF

BTW where did you find Rem Premier Match for $20.00 its almost $40.00 at cabellas.
    Grice Gun Shop in Clearfield, Pa

Smile Re: Remington SPS Varmint vs. SPS Tactical

Hey everyone i Just bought a Brand new Remington 700 SPS Varmint in .223Rem I honestly didnt know how the stock would hold up in the MN winter while hunting coyotes but so far it has been doing great and also i just shot it two days ago with some remington UMC ammo i think it was somethin in 50GRNS and FMJ for $10 and got .5 In groups at 200YDS!!!!!! so if anyone says that there SPS Tactical is beter than my sps varmint can come over and we can have a contest. Plus all i have that didnt come with it is a Gander Mountain Sling I Dont even have a bipod And the scope that is on it is the factory remington scope with 4-12X40mm scope.

The Hogue Pillar bedded over mold stock can be churched up if you want to take the time. You can hog out the barrel channel and bed it. It will still flex, but with some devcon it will make it a little more rigid where the action is actually making contact. Otherwise, it's junk (not to be confused with the other Hogue stock that has an aluminum chassis and two sling studs). My SPS tactical is nice and it's what I use as a test mule for load development (I don't load specifically for each 223 rifle because I shoot manly ARs, if it shoots good through my SPS, then it's good enough for an AR). It is no where near where my Badger Ordnance build is though, as far as accuracy and consistency. It's easier to find a load that my SPS likes then it is to find a load that my Badger build doesn't like.

As far as the SPS Varmint goes, XD45 is correct; it's the same barrel and action as the 700P. I good friend and colleague of mine and ReconLdr's has one. It too shoots very well for a rack grade rifle.

Where allot of people fail with these rifles is with the optics. Cheap optics will do for now, but once you really start punching out and guess work is not really viable, you need a quality optic. There is no getting around it. Sticker shock is what really gets people. It's kinda like buying a rolling chasis of (insert favorite late 60s muscle car) and putting a straight 6 in it or 13" rims.

There is a guy on gunbroker who sells barreled actions with your choice of stock(usually HS precision and Bell & Carlson. Scroll down and you'll see it;
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Sel...px?User=112897
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
    xd45: The SPS Tactical has a Heavy Barrel as well.

MMH: A 20 MOA mount is a tapered scope mount that allows you to have better use of the elevation capabilties of your scope. Example - My scope has 60 MOA of adjustment windage and elevation. When I zeroed at 100 yds I ended up using @ 30 MOA to get the zero which means I only have 30 MOA left to adjust for long range shots. It takes about 40 MOA (+/-) of adjustment to get from 100yds to 1000 yds leaving me 10 MOA short of my goal. With out the 20 MOA mount my rifle/scope combo would be limited point of aim = point of impact to about 800yds (estimated). I want to shoot out to 1000yds so I can either "hold off" or aim a little higher to get the extra range or add 20 MOA to the base which would allow me to adjust the scope so point of aim = point of impact at 1000yds. I have not shot this rilfle at ranges further than 200yds yet but am currently planning a trip to a 1000yd range this spring/summer. I have been trying to talk my dad into letting me set up to 600yds at his place but he is worried about not having a suitable back stop should I miss.

Hope I answered your question.
    Tell him you WONT miss!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12