Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Susquehanna County)

Default FARM KID in Marines

FARM KID in Marines

(NOW AT San Diego MARINE CORPS RECRUIT TRAINING)

Dear Ma and Pa,
    I am well. Hope you are. Tell Brother Walt and Brother Elmer the Marine Corps beats working for old man Minch by a mile. Tell them to join up quick before all of the places are filled.

I was restless at first because you get to stay in bed till nearly 6 a..m. But I am getting so I like to sleep late. Tell Walt and Elmer all you do before breakfast is smooth your cot, and shine some things. No hogs to slop, feed to pitch, mash to mix, wood to split, fire to lay. Practically nothing.

Men got to shave but it is not so bad, there's warm water. Breakfast is strong on trimmings like fruit juice, cereal, eggs, bacon, etc., but kind of weak on chops, potatoes, ham, steak, fried eggplant, pie and other regular food, but tell Walt and Elmer you can always sit by the two city boys that live on coffee. Their food, plus yours, holds you until noon when you get fed=2 0again. It's no wonder these city boys can't walk much.

We go on 'route marches,' which the platoon sergeant says are long walks to harden us. If he thinks so, it's not my place to tell him different. A 'route march' is about as far as to our mailbox at home. Then the city guys get sore feet and we all ride back in trucks.

The sergeant is like a school teacher. He nags a lot. The Captain is like the school board. Majors and colonels just ride around and frown. They don't bother you none.

This next will kill Walt and Elmer with laughing. I keep getting medals for shooting. I don't know why. The bulls-eye is near as big as a chipmunk head and don't move, and it ain't shooting at you like the Higgett boys at home. All you got to do is lie there all comfortable and hit it. You don't even load your own cartridges They come in boxes.

Then we have what they call hand-to-hand combat training. You get to wrestle with them city boys. I have to be real careful though, they break real easy. It ain't like fighting with that ole bull at home. I'm about the best they got in this except for that Tug Jordan from over in Silver Lake . I only beat him once.. He joined up the same time as me, but I'm only 5'6' and 130 pounds and he's 6'8' and near 300 pounds dry.

Be sure to tell Walt and Elmer to hurry and join before other fellers get onto this setup and come stampeding in.

Your loving daughter,
    Alice

(Clarion County)

Default Re: FARM KID in Marines

I find it hard to keep faith these days.What to believe in these days is becomeing some-what unclear.Don't get me wrong,I love my country and it's still the greatest place to live on this planet.
    We have all been victims of greed and criminal acts above anything seen before.Crimes with-out accountibility and crimes with world-wide repercussions.These people are above the laws as we understand basics of right and wrong.They are still out right stealing the bailout money.
    How do I look my son and grandchildren in the eye and explain the meaning of patriotism and loyalty ? What are they fighting for.Who actually benefits from what we,our children,and our grand-children are asked to do? What,some CEO's bonus.
    The way things are ,I can't look my own son in the eye and pass on the pride
    when we have been so Betrayed? It is a criminal act of the highest kind,traitors,criminals of the highest kind ! What do I tell the young people
    in my life,how do I restore the faith with-out lying to them??
    Heads should roll,prisons should be over-run,make a place for these "White Collar Bastards",Restore my faith so I can pass on the pride and loyalty again!
    It would appear to be a patriot today would involve being quite the fool !Only my opinion !!!!!!!!!!