Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Chosing a .22lr varmint rifle...

Hello everyone. I am currently in the market for a .22lr plinker/small animal dispatcher. Normally I would just go .223 so I could vaporize whatever animal was standing in my way, however, I would like to be able to savage pelts/meat with this rifle (no varmint grenades).

My price range (new/used) is 100-200 dollars, the gun must be either a bolt or lever action and must be sturdy (its going into the woods with me). Also as far as preferences are concerned: I would like a rifle which has iron sights already installed with the ability to easily throw a scope on top real quick like.

Also while I am on the subject of .22lr, I am also going to be looking for some ammo. Some ammo for hunting and some for accurate plinking.

Thank you all in advance for your advise...

TO SENECA ARMS IN THE MORNING!

Default Re: Chosing a .22lr varmint rifle...

I was a .22 guy until i got my hands on a .17 HMR and i can never go back to regular .22 lr again. Well i can when i get tired of paying 12 bucks for 50 rounds of .17 HMR, thats the only bad thing. I know i havent been able to go past probably 75 yards with a .22 and know where its going to hit but with that .17 HMR man it makes me look good with the groups i get with it. At 200 yards i am still within 3 inches and if i got a nice scope put on it with a larger than 9X i could do better than that. I do not know of any regular joe schmoe cheap .22's or .17's for 100-200 bucks except if you dont mind going the used route. I'd probably pick up a Savage they really are nice guns and accurate as well. My advice is go to a gun dealer that carries new and used stuff and check all the stuff in your price range.
    Reputation is what I strive for.

My .22LR that I use for varmints is a Henry. Its lever action, and when I bought it a few years ago I think it was around 250 new. But that was way back when walmarts still sold guns over here in NJ, so it was a while ago. Not sure what the price new is now, but a quick check on gunbroker shows a few used in your price range. My henry has a small scope on it right now, which is real easy to get on and off with the rail system on the top. Iron sights don't get in the way and are also accurate. Good luck!

They're just like small children, Its an EGO thing, " well if I can't have it this way, then I want it this way"..WAAAAAH - BrownBear (speaking of liberals)

(Allegheny County)

get yourself a good Marlin model 925, should be able to get one for under $200 or one of the savage bolts. both are exxtremely accurate for what you need. i am partial to the Marlin 925 myself.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

(Luzerne County)

I just bought a Savage Mark II for the same purpose. Shoots great, accu-trigger is awesome. I paid just over $200 for a Stainless/Synthetic model.

(Philadelphia County)

Well I am going to use my Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x42mm scope while I am not using it for deer season, so the scope will be awesome for it

I keep going back and forth between 17 and .22 but I REALLY want to keep the ammo cost down.. however with a bolt action rifle, I never really go through ammo very quickly... except with my K31 :P

Thank you all for the advise. Hopefully I can find something good by next weekend.

(Cambria County)

Hi I have two Marlin 25's and one 25n plus a couple of winchester pumps. Using the .22lr for varmits is doable, rabbits in the garden, crows, smaller ground hogs, ferel cats. Now something larger, coyote, ferel dogs, big ground hogs a .22 mag or .17 is better wanting a quick clean kill. Now a racoon or possum good shot placement or .223 or even 12 guage may be better

i forget the name of it... but its the bolt version of the 10/22...

anything and everything you can get for a 10/22 you can get for it (obviously minus the semi auto parts)
    This Space For Rent

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Seventy4Blazer View Post
    i forget the name of it... but its the bolt version of the 10/22...

anything and everything you can get for a 10/22 you can get for it (obviously minus the semi auto parts)
    it's called the 77/22
    Μολὼν λαβέ

(Philadelphia County)

I ended up getting a Zastava MP22 (which is now the Remington Model 5 after Rem bought the design). I am taking it shooting this Tuesday and will be posting pictures

Its great for a milsurp collector like me because the action looks like a miniature mauser action.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast