Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Tommy, bought another one

I took my G23c with all the extra goodies and an unfired CZ P-01 into Tanners today. I ended up trading the two pistols in for a Remington 5R rifle. The 5R's are suppose to be the cat's meow and I passed on a couple, but this was too good of a deal to pass up. In the past 3 weeks I have bought a DPMS 24" SS, Steyr SBS Tactical, FAL and now a 5R...I need to take a break from buying. BTW, I received my Nikon Tactical mil dot scope today...man that thing is sweet. I am hoping to pick up my Steyr and 5R rifle next Wednesday...talk about a long wait.

Lol, dang, you bought another one. I noticed this as soon as I got on, lol. Man, I wish I could afford your purchasing habits with firearms. Glad that you got your scope, and soon a new rifle to put it on. Tell me how it shoots, and if it really is the cat's meow.

Well the scope had a price tag of $899 on it...my friend has one, but not the mil dot version...the mil dot is like $300 more...I paid $550, so I feel I got a good deal on it...I find it hard to spend over $400 on a scope, but I'm thinking my next scope will be $1,000+...I"m going to sell that Savage rifle...just because I have 7 308 rifles and that's more than I need.

(Philadelphia County)

Aubie,

whats a good inexpensive bolt-action rifle out there that can handle Nato Surplus in .308?

Somewhere I got the idea that you are not supposed to shoot Milsurp ammo in a non-military rifle. Something to do with pressure and brass thickness and whatnot.

By inexpensive I mean, $300 or $400 including a scope.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

Diego,

I heard of guys shooting surplus ammo through a Remington 700P...which I don't understand...the rifle is a sub MOA shooter and people use cheap ammo. IMO, I would avoid shooting surplus ammo through a good bolt action rifle. I would however shoot surplus through your Cetme because it is designed for surplus ammo. Why don't you buy my Savage rifle? It is a little more than what you want to pay, but it's a sub MOA rifle. I have pictures of it posted on the classified section. In your $400 price range that's a package deal there is only two choices...Howa or Savage...I never owned a Howa, but they are suppose to be very accurate. I like the action on the Howa a lot better than on the Savage. I owned a few Savages and they all shoot very well.

If you are interested in my Savage...I have extra scopes that I can add to make it a package deal.

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01
    Aubie,

whats a good inexpensive bolt-action rifle out there that can handle Nato Surplus in .308?

Somewhere I got the idea that you are not supposed to shoot Milsurp ammo in a non-military rifle. Something to do with pressure and brass thickness and whatnot.

By inexpensive I mean, $300 or $400 including a scope.
    Lordiego, I'm not 100% sure on this, but I have an idea where you might have gotten this idea. As aubie said, I personally wouldn't shoot surplus in a bolt gun, or a sub moa rifle, just because it won't perform how the gun is supposed to. I know in the .223 there are some problems in 5.56mm rifles. The 5.56mm and .223 aren't exactly the same size, and the .223 is a higher pressure round. If you shoot .223 in a military rifle designed to shoot 5.56, the pressures could be too high and could mess up the rifle. Also, surplus has a harder primer, so when shooting normal .223 in a 5.56mm rifle, you could have a higher change of getting a slamfire, or so I'm told. Anyway, I'm not sure if this carries over in .308 and 7.62mm rounds, but I figured that might be how you got that idea. Anyway, hope that helps.