Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default ar15 build parts?

ok guys i plan on buying a gun next month. i figure to have around 500$ to spend. maybe more. i thought about buying a cx4 or a saiga and making it a long range gun. but then i thought, ya know what, i really want an AR15 more then anything. i just never thought of it as a reality because of the high price tag, but im thinking that spending the extra money would be worth it. my question is how hard is it to build one? what tools do i need, what parts do i need, and how much know how do i need? i love to build things but i dont know how much trouble id be getting my self into trying to build one of these.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: ar15 build parts?

I think Lycanthrope is assisting TheHighChild in a build that should end up around $500. Try doing a search or PM'ing one of them.
    "Ya only need legs to kick ass baby boy" - Bartender in Feast III

(Bucks County)

Start here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=3&f=4

All the info you need is there.

I built an AR pistol right after the AWB sunsetted using the directions in that link. It took me about two hours to put the first one together. I'm about to start my third AR build soon and I'm pretty sure I can put the whole thing together in about 20 minutes.

You can build a decent gun from new parts for about $500 but you have more flexibility and you can build a better gun if you buy stuff that's slightly used.

One thing that is absolutely manditory in my opinion is to buy a good lower parts kit. I prefer Rock River Arms or Bushmaster but DPMS will work.

I've had a hell of a time finding stripped AR-15 lower receivers lately. I just bought a Stag lower for my next build. I've heard good things about them but I've never used them before. I won't pick up my lower for a couple of weeks so I can't comment on them. My previous builds were on Bushmaster and DPMS lowers, but I think they are hard to come by these days because guys are panic buying because of HR 1022 and other bills that have been introduced in congress.

Feel free to PM me for more info.

(Bedford County)

As stated, $500 would build you a entry level AR last year...but people are now rushing to buy up parts and ammo before the next "Assault Weapons Ban".

Stripped lowers were going as low as $85 last year. Now they are hard to find at $125.

Stag, Double Star and Ameetec all make a nice and cheap stripped lower. I have been using Double Star lowers as of late.

Buying a complete upper is the way to go unless you have the skills and tools needed to build your own.

Last I heard, RRA is on a 7 week waiting period for uppers while Stag/CMT is 14 days.

To build a entry level AR rifle with the sights installed and ready to shoot...you are now looking at closer to $700 and 2 weeks wait for parts. However, I won't rule out building one closer to $500.

The nice thing about putting an AR together is the fact that you have plenty of time to shop around for parts and find the best prices.

Other than myself, there are a few guys here that have built AR's and are more than willing to help with info. Don't be afraid to ask about a part before buying.

Good luck.

(Montgomery County)

also, dont be afraid to SEARCH THE FORUMS here, many many many posts have been made about building ARs...
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Fulton County)

www.ameetecarms.com

you can get complete lowers for $200 +S&H plus registration

thats a good start keep keep your eye out for used uppers on ar15.com and at gun shows and you can get one put together some what cheep

(Lawrence County)

Tell me what you want and I can get you in for under $570.

All you'll need are punches and an hour. The upper will already be assembled.

I've built my own from kits, bought shlef and semi custom and built them from the ground up.......

You can have a reliable AR for about $550 these days.

Lycanbeentheredonethatthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Centre County)

Get the AR. You won't regret it. You can build one pretty inexpensively and upgrade later as needs/budget allows.

(Chester County)

thanks for the replies guys. i think im gunna do this, but im going to shop around and spread it out over a few months. that way the wallet doesnt get it all at once.

(Centre County)

Good Decision!! You'll like the AR and you won't regret spending the money on it.

Go over to AR15.com or M4carbine.net and do some research. They have a build it yourself section as well. tools are pretty simple. If you build the upper yourself get a decent barrel nut wrench. By building it yourself you'll be able to get exactly what you want. If you have a little wiggle room in your budget and you can spend a little extra, don't skimp out. If you get a kit gun, try and make sure it has a chrome bore and chamber.

Good luck with your build. Have fun with it. Post pics when your finished.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast