Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Some Observations About Classified Ads

Over the past few months I've noticed a lot of guys trying to sell their firearms in the classified section at prices that are either the same price as what you could buy the merchandise new or, once you factor in transfer fees and shipping or travel to a mutual point FFL for a FTF transfer, would actually make the used firearm more expensive than just going to a local dealer and buying new.

And then numerous bumps to bring the ad back to the top after it doesn't seem to be selling for several weeks.

Well, DUH!

If I may make a suggestion: if you're not willing to sell your firearm for about 2/3 to 3/4 (at the most!) of what a new one will go for, the Classified section and interminable 'bumping' (with commensurate lowering in price anyway!) might not be such a good idea.

Unless of course one has a rare item and/or is willing to do some horse-trading for other merchandise (especially at the local dealer or gun show), the sad fact remains that you're likely not going to get back what you paid for a gun... even if you only put one box of ammo through it.

(recent Obama run-on-the-gun-shops notwithstanding)

/jes' sayin'...
    Last edited by Robert Kayland; February 12th, 2009 at 12:29 PM.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Some Observations About Classified Ads

Amen. Hate to pick on people, but I've seen some craziness going on in there.

A very rare Century Arms underfolder AK, $1500! Well, I was born yesterday, lemme get my checkbook.

I know, if we don't like it, we're free to not buy it.

(Lawrence County)

100% behind you on this one!

(Now, does anyone want to buy a S&W Sigma sw9ve for 350 bucks? C'MON! I only put three thousand rounds through her last year!)
    "Do not use K-9 advantix on cats"

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bmarshall91 View Post
    (Now, does anyone want to buy a S&W Sigma sw9ve for 350 bucks? C'MON! I only put three thousand rounds through her last year!)
    Will you take a trade for a Bushmaster AR lower parts kit? They're very rare now, you know.

/I'll throw in a 40 round box of Federal Arms .22LR! Well, I did shoot 7 of the rounds, but the other 33 are still there, pristine!

(Montgomery County)

While i understand what you are saying, it is still up to the seller to set the price. Maybe they are patient and don't mind waiting weeks to sell / not sell an item. Maybe they don't need the money or don't really want to sell.

Maybe their wife told them it had to go and they keep bumping the ad so they can tell their wife---look honey, i'm trying but no one wants it .

One however would assume that if it has been several weeks with no bites that maybe it is time to lower the price---but nothing says you have to---unless you need to sell it.

(Allegheny County)

+1

Since we are talking about "pet peeves" regarding the classifides...

1. How in the hell do you expect anyone to consider your firearm without posting pics! Even if you don't have a digital camera at least post a "stock" pic so we know what gun you are talking about! If you don't know how to post a pic, don't post period!

2. If you are not a dealer don't ever post that the gun is NIB, it's not NIB if you bought it and are reselling it!

3. Don't list the firearm if your not going to list the selling price! And don't make me search 4 lines into the description for the price! It appears to me that you are ashamed of the price if you try to hide it in the text of a paragraph and don't use a dollar sign ($).

4. And most importantly. Reply in a timely manner to PM's and emails. Nothing will sour a potential buyer than no or slow responses.
    Toujours pręt

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kayland View Post
    Over the past few months I've noticed a lot of guys trying to sell their firearms in the classified section at prices that are either the same price as what you could buy the merchandise new or, once you factor in transfer fees and shipping or travel to a mutual point FFL for a FTF transfer, would actually make the used firearm more expensive than just going to a local dealer and buying new.

And then numerous bumps to bring the ad back to the top after it doesn't seem to be selling for several weeks.

Well, DUH!

If I may make a suggestion: if you're not willing to sell your firearm for about 2/3 to 3/4 (at the most!) of what a new one will go for, the Classified section and interminable 'bumping' (with commensurate lowering in price anyway!) might not be such a good idea.

Unless of course one has a rare item and/or is willing to do some horse-trading for other merchandise (especially at the local dealer or gun show), the sad fact remains that you're likely not going to get back what you paid for a gun... even if you only put one box of ammo through it.

(recent Obama run-on-the-gun-shops notwithstanding)

/jes' sayin'...

I've been noticing this quite a bit as well, I think a lot has to do with people not really wanting to sell their guns or not willing to take a loss over what they paid.

Keep in mind for the average gun purchased online you need to add 30.00 - 50.00 on top of the listed price. For purchases from instate stores add 6% and fees... people just aren't willing to eat the losses associated with buying handguns.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

like the folks who sell hi point 9 carbines (160 on sale retail) with the ATI stock (60 online) for over 300?

(Lehigh County)

... people just aren't willing to eat the losses associated with buying handguns.
    True enough, but that's my point... resale of guns is just one of those things where you usually have to resign yourself to taking a bit of a bath in order to get rid of something you don't want/can't use... and chalking up the loss to "the price of an education".

At least that's how I rationalize it when I have to take a skinning. Plus I figure I'm getting good karma by giving the next guy a deal.

But I'm the type who would rather cut my losses and put whatever I can recover towards a firearm I'll actually use... or at least am curious about.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    like the folks who sell hi point 9 carbines (160 on sale retail) with the ATI stock (60 online) for over 300?
    That's a good example of what I'm talking about... guys decide they don't like a firearm, and then try to recover all of the original price, including the shipping on the accessories!

Well, they DID have to work a few screws to put on the new stock, I guess. But in his defense, I see now that there is also a red-dot scope in on the deal.

Maybe they don't need the money or don't really want to sell.
    I know there's that game that goes on... and that was one of the points of my initial post, because it's kind of rude, then, to take up forum bandwidth... let's along other peoples' time.
    Last edited by Robert Kayland; February 12th, 2009 at 02:27 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast