Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Transfer of a firearm

Ok guys. I usually know the answers and maybe i'm thinking a little too hard on this one. Here's the situation:

The father lives in NJ and the son lives in PA. The father wants to give the son a handgun. Now i know under PA law if both were residents of PA he could hand it over to him and have a nice day. But my mind is thinking about the interstate commerce and how NJ laws work into this since the seller is a NJ resident and the firearm is registered in NJ. Oh and before anyone asks, the son is over 21.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Transfer of a firearm

Quote Originally Posted by jsmithxd View Post
    Ok guys. I usually know the answers and maybe i'm thinking a little too hard on this one. Here's the situation:

The father lives in NJ and the son lives in PA. The father wants to give the son a handgun. Now i know under PA law if both were residents of PA he could hand it over to him and have a nice day. But my mind is thinking about the interstate commerce and how NJ laws work into this since the seller is a NJ resident and the firearm is registered in NJ. Oh and before anyone asks, the son is over 21.
    All interstate transfers of firearms must go through an FFL in the recipient party's state.

The son will have to find a local FFL who will receive the firearm and then transfer it to the son through the normal procedure.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by danp View Post
    All interstate transfers of firearms must go through an FFL in the recipient party's state.

The son will have to find a local FFL who will receive the firearm and then transfer it to the son through the normal procedure.
    They could also do it at the local Sheriff's department, couldn't they?
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by billamj View Post
    They could also do it at the local Sheriff's department, couldn't they?

Ya know, we dont do transfers here and i never dawned on me to question it. hmmm. My guess would be that we're too busy so as it is to be tied up with the excess paperwork besides the issue of finding room to store it all.<already stole space in 3 offices for my files>

(Centre County)

Centre County Sheriff's Dept will NOT do transfers. They will refer you to a gunshop. I called to ask them this question in response to a thread a while ago na dthe deputy said the same thing they really don't have the time to do things like that. They are very good though when renewing a LTCP, go in fill out the paperwork, pay, get permit, walk out.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Monroe County)

Most gunshops I've found will do it. Basically if the recipient is right over the PA border, it should be a simple matter. However the giver in NJ may have to notify local police that the firearm was transfered and ask what paperwork, or copies they require.

Now if it's the other way around...good luck.