Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default rifle range near penn state main

i am taking my nephew bac to main to collect some of his things have time ti kill and would like to shoot
    anything close by or in between philly/state college?
    thanks ia
    To err is human, to be prepared divine

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: rifle range near penn state main

Scotia range is off Rt 322. Go to the end of College Ave, right on 26. Follow straight. Couple miles on the left.
    "Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription... is more cowbell!"

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by DCChris View Post
    Scotia range is off Rt 322. Go to the end of College Ave, right on 26. Follow straight. Couple miles on the left.

INCORRECT. Close though.

I will use the centralized location of W College Ave and Atherton St for both ways to get to the range. This is where the MinitMart, Kinkos and Arbys is located.

From the intersection of Atherton St and W College Ave. Take College Ave West bound for aprox 2.8 miles until you reach W Whitehall Rd. Turn Right on W. Whitehall Rd and travel west bound for aprox 3.8 miles until you reach Tadpole Rd. Turn Right onto Tadpole Rd and travel another 2 miles or so untill you come to a sharp curve to the left, tadpole road continues to the left and W Gatesburg road is striaght ahead, continue onto W Gatesburg rd. for aprox a mile until you come to Scotia Range Rd. (there is a wooden sign on a stone peditsal here). Turn Right onto Scotia Range Rd and travel for about another mile, when you come up to a chainlink fence with a gate you've made it to the range.

That is my prefered route of travel to get to the range, the dirt road is much nicer this way, the road on the way I'm about to write is in HORRIBLE condition. I would not drive it with my car unless I HAD to, if I had a truck or SUV it would be a different story.

The second way (and more common I would bet)

From the intersection of Atherton St and W College head North on N Atherton St for aprox 4 miles, continue straight taking the ramp onto I99/US322/US220, continue and take the Grays Woods Exit, loop around onto Grays Woods Blvd. Once on Grays Woods Blvd continues to Scotia Rd. Turn Left onto Scotia Rd then continue for aprox 1 mile until you come to the intersection with Scotia Range Rd on the left (Wooden Sign) Scotia Range Rd is another dirt/gravel rd Travel aprox 3miles until you reach the range.

Hope this helps.
    Cheers!
    Josh
    Last edited by ithinkimamedic; February 11th, 2009 at 09:54 AM. Reason: mixed up road names
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Centre County)

Ruggerio, when will you be doing this? It might be a chance for some of the other members to get together and do a bit of shooting.

Josh - In your first part I think you meant W. College not W. Beaver. Remember Beaver is one way east, College one way west (until you get to the split at Houts).

Also, when taking the first way described, (which is the easiest I think) to find W.Whitehall Rd, look for the stoplight that has a Large Uni-Mart on the left, A car dealer catty corner to the left and a farm store (Harners) on the right. That is where you turn to the right.
    Last edited by Xringshooter; February 11th, 2009 at 09:31 AM. Reason: added some stuff
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Centre County)

yeah Ron, you got me! I fixed my first post and it should now read correctly. Sorry man.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

i was at the range on wendsday nice range. all i did was shoot my 92f about 200 rounds. had a problem with a used p-mag i purchased from our classified but i am not concerned about it i believe they provide a lifetime warranty. had one other issue that is a first for me. when i got to the last round the slide remained open a few times and did not push the 5th, final round into the chamber. it was not a ftf but acted just as it does when the mag is empty wierd any thoughts?

and thanks for the directions. i wish i had them in time.
    Last edited by ruggerio; February 12th, 2009 at 01:21 PM.
    To err is human, to be prepared divine