Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Winchester Model 69

Here's my latest oldie but goodie, a Winchester Model 69. This was a gun my Dad and I picked up at a Flea Market when I was a kid for something like $10. We fixed it up together, and this was the gun I had my first shooting experiences with. It's been in a closet in my Dad's house for about 15 years, occasionally cleaned and oiled but not shot since it was put away.

Can't wait to take this to the range!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Berks County)

Default Re: Winchester Model 69

Some more pics...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."

-John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Northumberland County)

Thumbs up Re: Winchester Model 69

Nice model 69, did you put the peep on it or is it a target model. I have a collection of the 47/60/67/68 and 69 models, they are great guns. Mount an old Weaver KV on them and groundhogs beware!
    "You never lived till you almost died, for those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know"

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by EODguy View Post
    Nice model 69, did you put the peep on it or is it a target model. I have a collection of the 47/60/67/68 and 69 models, they are great guns. Mount an old Weaver KV on them and groundhogs beware!
    It's a standard Model 69, not the 69-A. My dad and I didn't install the peep sight, it was there when we bought the rifle. Not sure if it came from the factory that way or if it was an aftermarket modification by a previous owner.

And yes, with a sight installed I think she'll be a shooter.
    -Charlton Heston

-John Quincy Adams

-Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    It's a standard Model 69, not the 69-A. My dad and I didn't install the peep sight, it was there when we bought the rifle. Not sure if it came from the factory that way or if it was an aftermarket modification by a previous owner.

And yes, with a sight installed I think she'll be a shooter.
    I am pretty sure you have a 69 Target due to the bolt and that peep, they were factory installed on Target models. 69 and 69A's differ on when they cock, I believe (bolt opening/bolt closing) Buy all the factory mags you can but don't bid against me on Ebay please! ha ha There are also parts for them on Ebay too.
    "You never lived till you almost died, for those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know"

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by EODguy View Post
    I am pretty sure you have a 69 Target due to the bolt and that peep, they were factory installed on Target models. 69 and 69A's differ on when they cock, I believe (bolt opening/bolt closing) Buy all the factory mags you can but don't bid against me on Ebay please! ha ha There are also parts for them on Ebay too.
    I might have a 69-A, I'm not really 100% sure of anything about this rifle. You likely know more about it than I do at this point. Did the 69's and 69-A's differ in the barrel stamping? Are the 69-A's stamped as such?

As for the firing pin, it's cocked when the bolt is closed.
    -Charlton Heston

-John Quincy Adams

-Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Northumberland County)

They are marked with the model they are, 69A's will say 69A, at least my 2 do. And my 69 says 69 only. I don't have a target model (wish I did) but they made a few variants along the 69 line and a rare model 697 which had no sights at all. But you do have a nice rifle there, congrats.

Other then a pellet gun, my first rifle was a .22 cooey. Other then a rifle, my first shotgun was a 12G 2 trigger O/E. or as it I remember it, the gun that makes you do backflips.... I was bugging my dad and brother to let me shoot it, my brother was pretty bad when it came to cruel jokes, he loved to put blanks in the .22 when my sister shot it just to show her she could not hit the a piece of wood on the lake, come to think of it, she couldnt hit the lake!

Well it should have come to no surprise had i known there was such a thing as buck shot that he would put some in the 12G for me to try at around 7 years old.
    I was so small, I shot with my middle finger, some thign I still did till i shot a .38 snubbie not so many years ago.
    Problem was, the trigger guard on a 12G 2 trigger gun is in reality a second trigger, the real trigger guard is quite a bit further down... You guessed it, I shot both barrels at the same time... Took me over 25 years to ever want to shoot a 12 G again! I did a few back flips and landed on my butt against a birch tree... As I remember it was the first time i seen one of my dad's guns hit the ground. My Brother was no longer allowed to touch my dad's guns.

Did some shooting later with a .22/410 but always made sire there was nothing in the .410 chamber, I was still so afraid of shotguns.
    Dad was an RCMP weights and measures guy, he was away most of the time on the road. I can't remember ever seeing him with a pistol/revolver, but I do know he had a pistol in .32 in his room. I never saw that thing shoot, it was in a drawer like a lighter might have been.
    First pistolrevolver I ever shot was a .38 S&W. I had a small cleaning company at the time, and the owner of the gun club was looking for a cleaner... I would have never known you could shoot a handgun in Canada had it not been for that day.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly