Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Help me pick a new scope for my AR.

I'm looking for a better scope for my 18" Larue Stealh uppered AR. The optics forum is usually pretty dead, so I'm posting here. I want a scope with enough power to let me see .223 holes at 100 yards and hit steel plates at 200 yards. I want something with nice clear gas and something that will hold zero and be reliable. What do you guys recommend? I was considering an ACOG but I'm pretty sure that's enough enough magnification to see the holes at 100, and I don't know if I can justify that kind of cost anyway.

So, what do you guys think?

(Chester County)

Default Re: Help me pick a new scope for my AR.

I use a Leupold VX-I riflescope in 4 - 12 x 40 mm on my Colt LE 6920 (law enforcement carbine) and on my Armalite AR-10 (.308/7.62 x 51 carbine). I am by no means an experienced rifle scope user. I purchased my first scope just a few months ago.

I also have Leupold Rifleman riflescope in 3 - 9 x 40 mm on my Weatherby Vanguard SUB-MOA 300 WSM and similar 3 - 9 power Leupold riflescope on my Savagebolt action 12 gauge slug gun.

I often shoot at the 100 yard range at State Game Land 43 near Warwick, PA. At 9 x magnification, I cannot see the marks made by my bullets in a plastic target (I use targets that are black paint on a bright fluorescent background--the bullet strike creates a high contrast halo). At 12 x magnification, I can easily see the target bullet halo. Of course your eyes may be better than mine (but they could be worse).

The Trijicon website www.trijicon.com lists optics between 1.5 - 6 x magnification. The MSRPs for the advanced combat optical gunsights (ACOG) in 6 x are between $2,000 and $2600.

I recommend you change your selection criteria or your choice of optics.

If I were spending $2-2.6K on a riflescope (the MSRP for the Leupold VX-I 4-12 x 40 I bought is $299) I would consider purchasing a Leupold Mark 4, Schmidt and Bender, or a NightForce tactical riflescope with enough power to see the target at 100 yards.

As a result of experiences at 100 yards, my next riflescope will definitely have variable magnification with maximum power greater than 12.

As an aside, I also own more than one EOTech holographic weapons sight (another combat optic). In my estimation, the genius (and fun for us non-military users) of the low power (1 x stand alone or 3 or 4 x with additional components from EOTech or 1.5 - 6 x stand alone with Trijicon) illuminated combat weapons sight is an intuitive sight picture (e.g both eyes open) and the resultant high speed of target acquisition (I also shoot higher power conventional optical sights with my eyes open, but it doesn't come naturally, and consequently, it isn't nearly as much fun). Combat sights are not (like the unmagnified iron sights they have largely replaced) inherently precise. As in in most endeavors, speed and precision are mutually exclusive (to have one you must sacrifice the other--you can't have it both ways). My EOTech sights, not surprisingly, don't really shine when I'm shooting 8 inch targets at 100 yards.

Beginner
    Downingtown
    Chester County, PA

On my AR I've got an original Colt scope. I just bought a scope for my PTR91. I was going to get a $500 leatherwood but ended up ordering this one instead. Middle row second from left.

http://leapers.com/pages/optics/accushot_scope.htm

I orded it from here http://www.m1surplus.com/contact.htm from diago. Very informative person, no bs.

(Lawrence County)

The internet gods may strike me down.....but I run a Cheapo BSA with illuminated reticle on my one AR and it shoots under .5 moa. I run a brake so the gun has little to no recoil anyhow.

My father has run a 8x32 BSA on his 7STW for 3 years without failure......and that gun will eat scopes. I've seen him drop deer beyond 400 yards with it.

I've heard horror stories about some brand of cheap scopes, but the BSA variables have treated me well.

Lycannotanopticsnobthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by TheLAW View Post
    On my AR I've got an original Colt scope.
    Is this the scope that clamps on the carry handle?
    How do you like it?

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    The internet gods may strike me down.....but I run a Cheapo BSA with illuminated reticle on my one AR and it shoots under .5 moa. I run a brake so the gun has little to no recoil anyhow.

My father has run a 8x32 BSA on his 7STW for 3 years without failure......and that gun will eat scopes. I've seen him drop deer beyond 400 yards with it.

I've heard horror stories about some brand of cheap scopes, but the BSA variables have treated me well.

Lycannotanopticsnobthrope
    We'll compare notes, I was considering getting one with the lockable turrets - their tactical series.

Ok, lets start by all agreeing that you do not have to have a nice high dollar scope. In my opinion a quality scope is one of my necessities. With that being said you do not need to spend $2000+ on a scope for your purposes. In fact the only way i would spend more than $1200 on a scope is if i was in the military as a sniper go to guy. Three names come to mind when i think SUPERB scopes. 1) Leupold 2) Zeizz 3) Swarotzski. Leupold is my first option when considering bang for your buck, they are nice quality scopes especially for hunting when those last few minutes before dark are critical. Second is Zeiss they are every bit of good as a Leupold and some. In fact they might even capture light better than a Leupold with my experience using them. Last is Swarotski, i havent used them or dealt with them but i know by price tag and by reviews they are nice. Thats all i can really say about them but i wouldnt spend $1500 on it when i can get a $1000 Zeiss Tactical Scope which you can get at least up to 20X magnification and 40-50mm field of view. The Zeiss not only has great quality and zoom capabilities but it also being a tactical brand has the "clickers" i do not how to speicifically call them but its the elevation and windage knobs. Your basically able to do what the military snipers do if you want to adjust all that stuff to be able to make a 600+ yard shot etc. The Zeiss is on a Sako .270 WSM.
    CIMG0803.jpg CIMG0804.jpg CIMG0805.jpg
    Reputation is what I strive for.

(Allegheny County)

The biggest mistake people make with optics is they over power the scope.
    If your shooting your AR under 200 yards you really don't need more than a 3-9 scope.

Like others have said get a good quality scope. For the ranges you are shooting at a good Leupold, Nikon, or Bushnell Elite series should be all you need. I would put a $500 ceiling on the price tag for any scope. Plus a quality mount is something worth spending money on.

The high buck scopes are really needed at extended ranges over 400 yards where you need the best quality glass you can afford. You build that gun up and plan on shooting out past 400 yards then it would be time to bump up to a $1000 dollar plus Leupold or Night Force.

On my Bushmaster M77 (Bullpup) I have a Redfield 3X9 and it is all I need on the gun since I don't shoot it over 200 yards. I probably didn't pay more than $200 for the scope 20 years ago.

I bought a used Armalite SASS and the previous owner put a Leupold 8.5-25 X 50 mil dot on the gun. It is a really nice scope but I will probably this summer replace it with a Mark IV 4.5-14 X 50 mm Mildot. The 8.5-25 scope is way over powered for the gun. The 8.5-25 is more of a 800 plus yard scope. The SASS is more of a 600 yard gun.

I run a Nikon Buckmaster series on my AR. I have gotten great results from it and it didn't break the bank.

-burnsie

Quote Originally Posted by ALS View Post
    The biggest mistake people make with optics is they over power the scope.
    If your shooting your AR under 200 yards you really don't need more than a 3-9 scope.

Like others have said get a good quality scope. For the ranges you are shooting at a good Leupold, Nikon, or Bushnell Elite series should be all you need. I would put a $500 ceiling on the price tag for any scope. Plus a quality mount is something worth spending money on.

The high buck scopes are really needed at extended ranges over 400 yards where you need the best quality glass you can afford. You build that gun up and plan on shooting out past 400 yards then it would be time to bump up to a $1000 dollar plus Leupold or Night Force.

On my Bushmaster M77 (Bullpup) I have a Redfield 3X9 and it is all I need on the gun since I don't shoot it over 200 yards. I probably didn't pay more than $200 for the scope 20 years ago.

I bought a used Armalite SASS and the previous owner put a Leupold 8.5-25 X 50 mil dot on the gun. It is a really nice scope but I will probably this summer replace it with a Mark IV 4.5-14 X 50 mm Mildot. The 8.5-25 scope is way over powered for the gun. The 8.5-25 is more of a 800 plus yard scope. The SASS is more of a 600 yard gun.
    I dont understand the bold statement. How can you overpower a scope? The whole purpose is to be able to magnify objects. I agree that if it was set on one setting permanently the 20X magnification is way to much however its not like you cant decrease it to a smaller magnification and adjust where needed. ive found while using these type of scopes that i enjoy having a high magnification. Its very practical, imo, you start at the lowest setting find your object adjust the magnification until you can see your object perfectly. Simple as that, the OP said he wanted a scope that he can look through and see his holes he had punched through at 100 yards with his .223 well if you can see your holes with a 8X scope on it be my guest but i know i can not. Oh yea by the way i have a Simmons
    6.5-20X50 on my 7mm-08 and its all i need for my shots out to 300 yards. If i had the choice between a Simmons and the brands mentioned above i definately wouldnt have a Simmons. Well i take that back i would keep the Simmons on my 7mm-08 because its an excellent varmint/deer rifle and i would put the above scope on a bigger gun like a sniper rifle because of the quality of optics.
    Reputation is what I strive for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast