Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northampton County)

Default Vacuum sealing ammo

Are there any issues/problems with vacuum sealing shotgun, handgun and rifle ammo for long term storage? Saw a few threads but no definitive answer.
    Thanks

But as long as the nation is obsessed with historic milestones, is no one going to remark on what a great country it is where a mentally retarded woman can become speaker of the house? - Ann Coulter

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Vacuum sealing ammo

I can't imagine that there'd be any problems. Modern smokeless powder is designed to provide its own oxidant, so it doesn't need the air in the cartridge to burn.

What could go wrong?
    Kevin Singleton, Potawatomi - {ZRT - Sector 4}

Quote Originally Posted by caddy527 View Post
    Are there any issues/problems with vacuum sealing shotgun, handgun and rifle ammo for long term storage? Saw a few threads but no definitive answer.
    Thanks
    Just get a good ammo can, the seal on them is pretty good.

I cant see any issues with vacuum sealing other then possibly the pressure in the cartridge to be affected and pulling out the projectile. But wonder why go through it as you would break the seal should you need a few bullets...

If you did decide to do this, make sure you do it on a dry day not a day where the humidity is high as what ever you seal in there will also include the local humidity factor for that day.

Come to think of it, if your bullets example 12 guage shells, are not crimped well, the air will try to escape from within the bullet and in some ammo such as 9mm, maybe the seating would change some what in time.. All depends on the vacuum of course.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Jefferson County)

The only issues I can see is maybe breaking the seat/seal of a bullet or primer if you put it under too much negative pressure..

As kevindsingleton said, the chemistry of the explosion provides its own oxygen.

(Centre County)

I agree with Frenchy on the ammo can. If you get them with good seals (or put new seals in, load them up and latch them down and keep the cans in a cool dry place, whatever is in there will last for years with no degradation. What powder doesn't like is temperature extremes (such as stored in an attic - very hot in summer, very cold in winter) as this can lead to the powder changing chemically and then you don't know what is going to happen when you pull the trigger.

I just don't see a need to vacuum pack.......unless you are going to bury them in case they get banned/SHTF, then the vacuum pack may help.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Lehigh County)

Vacuum packing will work, but it's overkill unless you intend on storing your ammo in a jungle environment (or underwater)...
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

(Northampton County)

I was looking at ammo cans but I already have a vacuum sealer so I figured why not. I just don't want to do any damage.

But as long as the nation is obsessed with historic milestones, is no one going to remark on what a great country it is where a mentally retarded woman can become speaker of the house? - Ann Coulter

I wonder how the vacuum canisters would work? Anyone tried that? I sealed about 20 rounds of handgun ammo to keep on my fishing boat in a ditch bag along with the rest of the "in case the boat sinks" stuff. Time will tell on how well it keeps, but I can't imagine a more humid environment than right over the water.