Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Do you stockpile ammo?

I do not "rotate" my ammo. If ammo is properly stored it has an indefinate shelf life. I've shot personal handloads that were over 30+ years old. I'm confident the ammo now in my possession will out live me, and kill anyone I intend to kill. Bill T.

(Blair County)

stock piling large amounts for me is not pratical and from my view is kind of crazy.
    I guess if you reload and have enough components it might not be practical, but to me it makes sense to buy all that you can now so that when the prices continue to climb you're not forced to pay double what you could have had you stocked up a bit. Call me crazy if you will, but now that I ahve over 3000 rds for my SKS I can be a little picky about what I buy, I'm not forced to pay $4-$5 a box for it now beacuse I bought all I could when it was $3-$4 per box over the last 2 years.

-Joe-
    Magnum en parvo!

(Luzerne County)

Default stockpile ammo? Enough mags to hold it all??

Buy ammo every chance you get. Get enough mags to hold ALL of it.

The prices of both keep going up.

3000 rounds of .22, 223, or 762x39 and 3 mags doesn't cut it.

(Berks County)

Get enough mags to hold ALL of it.
    I will disagree there, I have 2 FAL rifles and about 5,000 rounds (right now) I would need 250, 20 round mags...

I have about 30 and thats plenty. SHTF purists recommend 10 magazines minimum per rifle.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

Quote Originally Posted by ironhorse View Post
    My main concern is having what I need to hunt with. .... stock piling large amounts for me is not pratical and from my view is kind of crazy.
    Ironhorse: Not crazy if you've ever had a foreign gun and also had trouble finding ammunition.

Few of the posters in this thread are hunters. the context of this discussion is stockpiling in anticipation of either shortages or an emergency, both of which have already happened in the U.S.

I had Communist Bloc weapons in the 1970s, and back then the ammunition was somewhat binary: unavailable anywhere or very expensive and in limited quantities. 7.62x54R (Mosin fodder) was usually $1 per round, as the only brand available back then was Norma. And only a few stores carried it, at that. AK ammunition didn't start appearing outside of collector circles until the very early 1980s.

Not to mention some of the looks from people wondering why someone would actually want communist ammunition...

When the surplus market tanked a few years ago, I bought 3.7x10E+5 rounds of AK ammo, and almost as much 7.62x54R. By the early 1990s, I was paying a little under 7 cents a round for ammunition that was previously a dollar a round. While 7.62x39 has gone up, it's still cheap compared to what it was 25 years ago. 7.62x54R seems totally unaffected by the ruckus over in the middle east, and remains a true ammunition bargain.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA Rifleman View Post
    Ironhorse: Not crazy if you've ever had a foreign gun and also had trouble finding ammunition.

Few of the posters in this thread are hunters. the context of this discussion is stockpiling in anticipation of either shortages or an emergency, both of which have already happened in the U.S.

I had Communist Bloc weapons in the 1970s, and back then the ammunition was somewhat binary: unavailable anywhere or very expensive and in limited quantities. 7.62x54R (Mosin fodder) was usually $1 per round, as the only brand available back then was Norma. And only a few stores carried it, at that. AK ammunition didn't start appearing outside of collector circles until the very early 1980s.

Not to mention some of the looks from people wondering why someone would actually want communist ammunition...

When the surplus market tanked a few years ago, I bought 3.7x10E+5 rounds of AK ammo, and almost as much 7.62x54R. By the early 1990s, I was paying a little under 7 cents a round for ammunition that was previously a dollar a round. While 7.62x39 has gone up, it's still cheap compared to what it was 25 years ago. 7.62x54R seems totally unaffected by the ruckus over in the middle east, and remains a true ammunition bargain.
    Now is that 3.7x10^5 ? As in 370,000 rounds of 7.62x 39... or 37,000?

Either way thats stockpiling Border line on hording from the rest of us! :P
    Freedom is paid with the blood of those who understand what being free really means. (Me)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - 1775 Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Kenshin View Post
    Now is that 3.7x10^5 ? As in 370,000 rounds of 7.62x 39... or 37,000?
    3.7x10^5=The former. The posted number is an exaggeration, in reallity it was probably just south of 25k...but much less remains today. Probably under 10k by now. Most of my friends with AKs routinely had 2-4k rounds each.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenshin View Post
    Either way thats stockpiling Border line on hording [sic] from the rest of us! :P
    I'm still burning the stuff I bought circa 1991-92. I bought as much as I could when it was cheap, not when I needed it. The market has long since recovered, as I haven't needed any since.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA Rifleman View Post
    7.62x54R seems totally unaffected by the ruckus over in the middle east, and remains a true ammunition bargain.
    7.5 Swiss is unaffected by the actions around the world, but I'm getting raped for it! LOL

(Bucks County)

I have enough loaded cartridges, but I am stockpiling powder, primers, and bullets.
    Buying what I need when a deal comes along.
    Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by billt View Post
    I do not "rotate" my ammo. If ammo is properly stored it has an indefinite shelf life. I've shot personal handloads that were over 30+ years old. I'm confident the ammo now in my possession will out live me, and kill anyone I intend to kill. Bill T.
    Funny memory here...
    During the Johnstown flood in '77 our basement filled with about 4' of water(just from rainwater... we lived on a mountain)and my father's ammo/reloading stuff spent a day or so underwater.

About a year or two later, I took a paper bag(that had been in the floodwater)with about 500 rounds of CCI, .22 long rifle ammo out back and only three of them failed to fire.

I also date my ammo when I purchase it, but mainly to see the price increase when I buy my next box. I don't really worry about using the older stuff first.

Actually, the way the quality of every other product on the market keeps declining, I have to wonder if the older ammo isn't actually the BETTER ammo?
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast