Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

(Monroe County)

Default What is your training regimen like?

How often do you go shooting? What do you try to accomplish when you hit the range? What types of drills are you running? How much ammo do you go through in each session?

starting to warm up, looking for some new ideas.

Default Re: What is your training regimen like?

pistol or rifle?

depends on what im looking @ working on.

Pistol I go center of mass on silhouettes or just shoot steel...no more than 50 rounds at a time normally.

Rifle is generally center of mass, but when your aimpoint is always dead on, headshots are easy as cake.

CMP shooting I really run 10+ rounds in each position for practicing that.

Then there's days like today when you toss $20-30 worth of lead down first time at the line because...well...just because. I should have kept that target, I bet all 60 rounds I shot were on that thing.

I made it out today with a brand new pistol. I fired slow five shot strings at a 3" bull at 7 yards. I was satisfied with the point of impact there. I moved over to 25 yards and fired on a 6 inch Shoot NC target. I probably spent 20 rounds at each of these two distances. I then went to the 15 yard line and fired the remaining rounds that I had with me at a 6 inch bull. Some slow and others rapid. Both two handed and dominant hand only. 100 rounds was plenty for today. I have yet to purchase a holster for this pistol. I suppose when I do, I will practice drawing and dry firing quite a bit at home before doing any real drawing and firing at the range. I will be shooting silhouette targets then. I always glue or staple a hand gun onto the targets. I don't like shooting at non-threatening targets when drilling. 100-150 is my usual max for any given pistol during a range day. I try to shoot anything that I carry at LEAST once a month. It is usually more.
    Jules

I warm up by shooting center for the first few rounds...
    After that, I do 3 shot rapid fire to see how my location is...
    After that I do upholstering drills from my CC position with a shirt over my gun.
    After that I shoot just to make noise

(Berks County)

When able, I do untimed El Presidente drills. Got defense shooting practice drill that works well for revolvers. Dont bother with stopwatches because I dont care if its 4 seconds or 40, I go as fast as I can to make each shot count.

If I cant do those, COM strings from holster or low ready.

At home I try to wear out my snap caps with lots of dry fire drills.

Wheelgunner Tip: I always practice my reloads with spent shells in the gun, and snappers in the loader. Try for having the loader engaged (bullets into chambers) before the last shell hits the floor.

I do 12 to 30 rounds double action at 15 yards then 12 to 30 rounds single action. Then 30 rounds of double taps at 7 yards. 50 round at 25 yards mixing single and double action. I like to shoot some at 50 and 100 yards, all single action just to see if I can do it. It was nice this weekend and between the .32 Mag., .38/.357, 9MM and .40 S&W I shot over 800 rounds.

(Montgomery County)

At home I try to wear out my snap caps with lots of dry fire drills.
    Snap caps are the shit. Lots of different types of practice you can do with these, from unholstering and firing, to reloading, to shooting with your weak hand, etc. Not as fun as shooting live rounds, but cheap, and can be done at home any time.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

(Philadelphia County)

Mine's something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJE2GpF9Ohc
    "When law becomes despotic, morals are relaxed, and vice versa."-- Honore de Balzac, The Wild Ass's Skin...huh, huh..Balzac...Wild Ass...huh, huh

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene V. Debs View Post
    Mine's something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJE2GpF9Ohc
    I hope you do not have the same flinch as he does when he fires

As for drills, yesterday we did retreat, off hand and some transition to carbine.

Retreat started with a strike at contact distance out to about 12 - 15 mtrs., depending on how fast one retreats/shoots, engaging 2 or 3 targets (varied). Also, we started facing up range, turned and retreated while engaging the targets.

Off hand consisted of the El Presidente and some quick double taps. This was just to remind everybody how much we should work on off hand shooting

Carbine was engaging, with handgun, targets randomly arrayed out to 15 mtrs., maybe a little further (if it ain't IDPA, we don't measure ) Then transition to the carbine for targets further out.

All the above while being distracted. Yesterday consisted of being hit with snowballs, being yelled at and clanging shovels.

It is very important to be dynamic in the training. Shooting on the move. Shooting at moving targets/threats.

Just like the folks I get to shoot with, our regimen is varied. The main benefit is the exchange of ideas. Any given weekend, I am shooting with Soldiers just back from SW Asia, Municipal Police Officers, PSP TPRs/NCOs, Corrections Officers (Co., State and Federal). Rumor tell, this upcoming weekend there may be several subguns present. One from 1928 (hint) and the others manufactured last year, both of the same caliber (hint) . Won't even have to pay for the ammo. Man, I love having my own range!

Be safe (and varied).

Scott

(Lawrence County)

Anymore, I just do some random dry fire a few times a week.

Then.....if I have time and money....I go shooting. Doesn't matter what it is or what type....trigger time always teaches me something.

The best thing you can do? Pay attention. Try everything....and be honest if it worked for you. Keep score of your hits and use a timer. Math doesn't lie.

Lycanalwaysbemindfulwhenshootingthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast