Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default What is your training regimen like?

How often do you go shooting? What do you try to accomplish when you hit the range? What types of drills are you running? How much ammo do you go through in each session?

starting to warm up, looking for some new ideas.

Default Re: What is your training regimen like?

pistol or rifle?

depends on what im looking @ working on.

Pistol I go center of mass on silhouettes or just shoot steel...no more than 50 rounds at a time normally.

Rifle is generally center of mass, but when your aimpoint is always dead on, headshots are easy as cake.

CMP shooting I really run 10+ rounds in each position for practicing that.

Then there's days like today when you toss $20-30 worth of lead down first time at the line because...well...just because. I should have kept that target, I bet all 60 rounds I shot were on that thing.

I made it out today with a brand new pistol. I fired slow five shot strings at a 3" bull at 7 yards. I was satisfied with the point of impact there. I moved over to 25 yards and fired on a 6 inch Shoot NC target. I probably spent 20 rounds at each of these two distances. I then went to the 15 yard line and fired the remaining rounds that I had with me at a 6 inch bull. Some slow and others rapid. Both two handed and dominant hand only. 100 rounds was plenty for today. I have yet to purchase a holster for this pistol. I suppose when I do, I will practice drawing and dry firing quite a bit at home before doing any real drawing and firing at the range. I will be shooting silhouette targets then. I always glue or staple a hand gun onto the targets. I don't like shooting at non-threatening targets when drilling. 100-150 is my usual max for any given pistol during a range day. I try to shoot anything that I carry at LEAST once a month. It is usually more.
    Jules

I warm up by shooting center for the first few rounds...
    After that, I do 3 shot rapid fire to see how my location is...
    After that I do upholstering drills from my CC position with a shirt over my gun.
    After that I shoot just to make noise

(Berks County)

When able, I do untimed El Presidente drills. Got defense shooting practice drill that works well for revolvers. Dont bother with stopwatches because I dont care if its 4 seconds or 40, I go as fast as I can to make each shot count.

If I cant do those, COM strings from holster or low ready.

At home I try to wear out my snap caps with lots of dry fire drills.

Wheelgunner Tip: I always practice my reloads with spent shells in the gun, and snappers in the loader. Try for having the loader engaged (bullets into chambers) before the last shell hits the floor.

I do 12 to 30 rounds double action at 15 yards then 12 to 30 rounds single action. Then 30 rounds of double taps at 7 yards. 50 round at 25 yards mixing single and double action. I like to shoot some at 50 and 100 yards, all single action just to see if I can do it. It was nice this weekend and between the .32 Mag., .38/.357, 9MM and .40 S&W I shot over 800 rounds.

(Montgomery County)

At home I try to wear out my snap caps with lots of dry fire drills.
    Snap caps are the shit. Lots of different types of practice you can do with these, from unholstering and firing, to reloading, to shooting with your weak hand, etc. Not as fun as shooting live rounds, but cheap, and can be done at home any time.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

(Bucks County)

I just joined a nice local club and started participating in their Practical (Cough..Tactical) Rifle program and found it challenging to say the least. I plan on going out to practise doing the usual buy will throw in a twist every now and then. Shooting when your rested and comfortable is good practise for when your rested and comfortable, get your heart pumping and get sweaty and tired and things change a bit. This I learned in these rifle courses.

I plan on going out and setting up as spot for my gear and running some trails every now and then, then shooting to simulate real workd stress. They have nice Archery trails there which are looped near the ranges so I can start out by setting up, hit the trail and wind up back where I started and begin practising before cooling down and getting my breath.

Ive done this before by doing Jump/Jacks, but its boring and people look at you funny, plus it takes forever to get your heart rate up. Ive even given thought to gogging with a loaded pack full of my gear to make it a lil harder if need be depending on the length of the trail and so forth.

Shooting a rifle prone at 100yrds while your chest is heaving is a bitch and adds a whole new layer to your training.

(Dauphin County)

I shoot at cans and bowling pins until I'm out of ammo.

Then I run/hike/simple exercises(crunches, sit ups, pull ups, push ups). Hiking with a large pack and weapon is good too.

I need to start shooting on paper, but my range is so improvised.

(Chester County)

When I first started shooting, I would go through half my available ammo at a controlled pace, and then have fun with the other half. Usually at 7-10 yards at an indoor range, perfect temperature, no problems.

I then went through a 3 month dry spell where I really couldn't afford to get to the range. Every time I tried to schedule it in, something else would crop up.

This past weekend, I hit the range with a few members of this site and discovered just how crappy I have gotten. I could go out of my way to blame it on the fact that it was cold, I was shivering like crazy, wearing new uncomfortable boots, firing ammo that I wasn't used to in my gun, shooting targets that were the size of letter paper at 15 yards, targets that I couldn't even train my eyes to focus on, with dirty sights on my carry pistol and a very new to me sight kit on my XD. But honestly, I'm willing to man up and admit that I just suck. I need to get out more. I need to bribe more people for rides to the range.
    KnightZero - Zombie Killing Mercenary Watchman for hire. Will work for food.

http://kn1ght-z3r0.livejournal.com/tag/firearms - My firearms, and my ramblings on the Open Carry Movement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast