Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default A Question about Pennsylvania Law

Once again here in Maryland we're attempting to change our CCCs from "May Issue" to "Shall Issue".

Hearing Date - 2/24/09
    HB 470

http://mlis.state.md.us/2009rs/billfile/HB0470.htm
    - Handgun Permits - Repeal of Finding Requirement -House Judiciary- Strongly Support
    Another of our sponsored pieces of legislation for this session and we've given you the plan of action in previous updates. This bill will remove the necessity for a finding of a "good and substantial" reason for the issuance of a handgun permit and would make Maryland join the ranks of other shall-issue states. If you have not contacted the House Judiciary Committee and urged their support, please do so now. Be sure to contact Chairman Vallario and insist on a vote on this common sense bill that would bring Maryland into alignment with the majority of the United States.

In addition we want the responsibility of issuing redirected to the County Sheriff from the State Police.
    I understand in Pa. it is the Sheriff who issues? Is there a Link to the Pa. Law or Statuet in reference?

(Mifflin County)

(Beaver County)

Default Re: A Question about Pennsylvania Law

18 Pa.C.S. § 6109: Licenses

(a) Purpose of license.--A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle throughout this Commonwealth.
    (b) Place of application.--
    An individual who is 21 years of age or older may apply to a sheriff for a license to carry a firearm concealed on or about his person or in a vehicle within this Commonwealth. If the applicant is a resident of this Commonwealth, he shall make application with the sheriff of the county in which he resides or, if a resident of a city of the first class, with the chief of police of that city.
    (c) Form of application and content.--
    The application for a license to carry a firearm shall be uniform throughout this Commonwealth and shall be on a form prescribed by the Pennsylvania State Police. The form may contain provisions, not exceeding one page, to assure compliance with this section. Issuing authorities shall use only the application form prescribed by the Pennsylvania State Police. One of the following reasons for obtaining a firearm license shall be set forth in the application: self-defense, employment, hunting and fishing, target shooting, gun collecting or another proper reason. The application form shall be dated and signed by the applicant and shall contain the following statement: I have never been convicted of a crime that prohibits me from possessing or acquiring a firearm under Federal or State law. I am of sound mind and have never been committed to a mental institution. I hereby certify that the statements contained herein are true and correct to the best of my knowledge and belief. I understand that, if I knowingly make any false statements herein, I am subject to penalties prescribed by law. I authorize the sheriff, or his designee, or, in the case of first class cities, the chief or head of the police department, or his designee, to inspect only those records or documents relevant to information required for this application. If I am issued a license and knowingly become ineligible to legally possess or acquire firearms, I will promptly notify the sheriff of the county in which I reside or, if I reside in a city of the first class, the chief of police of that city.
    (d) Sheriff to conduct investigation.--
    The sheriff to whom the application is made shall:
    (1) investigate the applicant's record of criminal conviction;
    (2)
    investigate whether or not the applicant is under indictment for or has ever been convicted of a crime punishable by imprisonment exceeding one year;
    (3) investigate whether the applicant's character and reputation are such that the applicant will not be likely to act in a manner dangerous to public safety;
    (4)
    investigate whether the applicant would be precluded from receiving a license under subsection (e)(1) or section 6105(h) (relating to persons not to possess, use, manufacture, control, sell or transfer firearms); and
    (5) conduct a criminal background, juvenile delinquency and mental health check following the procedures set forth in section 6111 (relating to sale or transfer of firearms), receive a unique approval number for that inquiry and record the date and number on the application. <snip>
    This is the section of the UFA that deals with licensing.

http://reference.pafoa.org/statutes/...6109/licenses/