Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: open carry

Default open carry

If open carry is legal in Pa. why are there issues with it? Such as you can carry in one county but get bothered in another. There are threads that ask where have you oc'd without problems. I see arrests for excercising 2A rights. Is it a problem or a big hassle to open carry? Or is it still a testing ground? Just a bit confused, please enlighten me.

Default Re: open carry

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.- George Washington

"I thought Lycan was a she"-dragonofpa

Quote Originally Posted by axmdr40 View Post
    oh oh.....a popcorn situation. Just really want to know.

(Jefferson County)

We are making progress in Pennsylvania. Culture, citizen/LEO education, and personal opinions still hamper folks in several places. They are slowly coming around though. LEO's are now being instructed in their refresher course that its legal. Regular folks are still needing of education, but there is no refresher course for citizenry. So you end up with "man with gun" calls, which the police will roll on to see if things are ok or not. With a properly educated officer, it wont be a hassle. But with a uneducated officer or an officer with personal opinions weighing his/her judgment - we get what has happened with a few of our friends.

It will depend alot in the area. Here in Jefferson, Clarion, Elk, Clearfield, and Forest counties you might get a few weird looks by sheeple or tourists. I've only once been asked to have a talk by a LEO, and that was several years ago. I gave him a very courteous education, he radioed in to confirm it, and he then deeply apologized, offered a handshake, and said he'd never do that again. That officer still today gives me a nod and sometimes asks what I'm carrying today to make friendly conversation. The only other event was some attitude while checking in my piece at the Clearfield courthouse by an older guy, the deputies and the other taller old guy at the door have always been friendly.

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

I guess the problem is that the police and some of the public just aren't used to seeing OC, and they assume the wrong things, then the few OCers now and then get heckled or harrassed or worst. Looks like it is getting better overall. I was however dispointed earlier at the Ruby Tuesdays to not spot any OCers, and it was pretty crowded with men who looked like they owned guns( they looked like my hunter customers- its a "feel" thing). Probably a bunch of CC going on LOL, but until I see some OCers regularly in this area ( Shrewsbury,etc), I just won't have the "balls" to do it solo. As I have stated before, I have this phobia of cops.
    LOL, I am a woman...

(Franklin County)

While I won't speculate on the ratio, I believe it's a combination of genuine ignorance (as in, lack of knowledge of the law), and arrogance - often combined with contempt for a citizen who 'dares' to exercise their rights.

Hopefully, as training increases, and civil rights suits have a chance to play out, things will continue to improve. However, there is no way to guarantee that we will ever see the complete disappearance of these types of situations state-wide.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Somerset County)

It's kind of like driving . Some days you catch every light green , others you run into red lights.
    Don't blame me ; I voted for an American .

(Luzerne County)

I don't see this as a popcorn situation at all. If your outside (Pa.) looking in, these are logical questions. Heck, even if your from Pa. and OC is new to you they are logical questions...

Anyway, I'll address them as best I can, from my perspective.

Q: If open carry is legal in Pa. why are there issues with it?

A: Open carry has always been legal in Pa. but due to a number of reasons fell out of favor. Additionally, the removal of OC as a common occurrence enabled the propagation of legal folklore to propagate. Of course, this was prior to the age of citizen legal enlightenment (AKA: the internet )
    So when OC began to become of interest to people again, there were hurdles in the form of ignorance on the part of citizens and law enforcement alike. Years of folklore about how OC was illegal is not easy to overcome and doesn't happen overnight.

Q: Such as you can carry in one county but get bothered in another.

A: The issues enumerated in the above answer will vary from area to area based on a number of factors.

Q: There are threads that ask where have you oc'd without problems.
    A: Yes, these are/were common particularly when OC first started a resurgence in popularity in Pa. mainly as a reassurance that OC is not a big deal. People were unsure if OC would solicit "trouble" and others were flat out claiming it would or that they figure "OC wont be tolerated around here". The non-incident OC logs are more of a testament that more the most part, OC is really a non-issue and negative incidents are the exception rather than the expected.

Q: I see arrests for excercising 2A rights. Is it a problem or a big hassle to open carry?

A: Again, arrests are an example of a more severe hassle/incident that can happen due to ignorance about OC. But how common is it? Of all the members here that OC, I and Mtn Jackare the only ones that I recall that have been "arrested". And in fact I was released at the scene (not booked) when the responding officers realized/were told of the error.
    There have been other arrests, of course, but they are few and very far between. So to answer if OC is too much hassle, first one must analyze exactly how much of a potential to be hassled there actually is and then make a personal decision re: the likelihood (or unlikelihood) of being hassled.

Q: Or is it still a testing ground? Just a bit confused, please enlighten me.
    A: Not really a testing ground in terms of legality. OC is legal. Call it a testing ground if you want in regard to the fact that a small percentage of firearms carriers OC and as they continue to do so without incident others continue to join the ranks that may not have previously one so. So yes, in terms of people being comfortable doing it it is a testing ground, IMO.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(York County)

Oh its leagal alright. Some PD's just don't feel that way. Most "Problems" that I have read about have been between an OC'er and another person who is not aware that this is legal. They in turn call the cops who may or may not be aware of its legality, or in some rare cases just plain old don't care and don't like OC so they're gonna give the guy some shit to chew on for awhile.
    3%

(Philadelphia County)

Pretty much what Pa. Patriot said.

It's legal, some people are just slower at learning and more resistant to that fact than others. As a result guys like Pa. Patriot and gnbrotz have to help bring them up to speed now and then.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast