Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Dauphin County)

Default allergies to rabbits

OK so the other weekend I went hunting with my father in law for some cold rabbit hunting. Ended up shooting the only rabbit out of the group, only one we saw in their defense. So afterward I proceeded to clean the rabbit of course.

Not even a day later my hands, in between my fingers most of all, broke out like crazy with a poison ivy type reaction. Growing up along the mountains and rivers of PA I know that it usually takes me about 2 or 3 days to get poison ivy if I somehow missed a spot while cleaning up. So I had pretty eliminated that out of what was going on.

So this leads me to my real reason for posting, as silly as it seems does anyone else have this reaction to rabbits or deer or anything? I did do some googling and found some people saying it can be from the proteins in the blood.

I ended going to the doctor over one stupid rabbit because the reaction was so bad my fingers got all puffy and were super itchy. In the end no more rabbit hunting or going to have to wear gloves.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: allergies to rabbits

That "poison-ivy type reaction" is exactly that. Rabbits will crawl through and eat the stuff, and you can in turn become exposed when you clean your kill. Happened to a guy I knew when I was younger.

Wear some latex/nitrile gloves the next time you handle or clean a rabbit you've harvested.
    Last edited by gnbrotz; February 8th, 2009 at 09:50 PM.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Jefferson County)

Allergies is very possible.

I wouldn't rule out poison ivy or oak though. Tolerances to such things change throughout the course of a lifetime. My brother and I could roll in poison ivy and oak growing up and not be effected. But today, I'm still not effected but my brother will break out almost right away.

One way to find out is once you clear up go to a pet store and handle a wabbit.

(Dauphin County)

Ya, my wife suggested that she would rub some rabbit hair on my body somewhere other than my hands, but I wasn't falling for that. I don't ever want to have to deal with this again.

I'm just really surprised if it was poison ivy or oak, because I thoroughly washed my hands with soap and hot water and that always does the trick. dunno.

(York County)

You definatley had a localized allergic reaction to something the fur, oils, or something the animal itself came into contact with. Some things you just can't wash off, espescially once it is absorbed into the skin. Just be thankful that it was sever enough to cause analphylaxis.

Dave W.
    3%