Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Dot Powder

Default Red Dot Powder

Does anyone have any experience using Red Dot powder with .357 158 grain LSWC's. I see 6 grains max for 158 JSP but nothing on websites or manuals for LSWC. I was told by the shop to just start 10-15% less than the JSP and it should be ok. Any thoughts?

Default Re: Red Dot Powder

Lee's Modern Reloading Second Edition has the following info for a 158 gr lead bullet, type not specified. I've never used Red Dot, so I don't know how this load works. Use at your own risk:

Red Dot Powder
    Starting load = 5 grains for a supposed 1115 fps
    Max load = 5.5 grains for a supposed 1215 fps and 34,000 lbs psi pressure
    Their listed Min OAL is 1.580"
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Centre County)

I used to use Red Dot a lot for competition loads that were very accurate. Now these loads were low power and that helped keep the leading down.
    148 LHBWC, Federal #100 primers, 2.7 grains of RedDot, .38 Spec cases. Very accurate and next to no recoil.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

I have an old Hercules (late 90's) manufacturers powder manual that has a .357 LSWC load showing 5.5 grains max load with 1,215 fps, 34,000 psi.
    That's all I can find, other than the already related Modern Reloading 2nd edition specs.

Thanks everyone. I did locate some info on "handloads.com" that supports what was posted. I'm looking for something like xring was describing. Maybe a little hotter, since a little recoil is fun. Thanks again.

(Lackawanna County)

I've tinkered with Red Dot in .357 quite a bit with a variety of bullets. With 158gr LSWCs, I started with 3 grains and standard primers and went as high as 5.6 grains with mag. primers (though I would consider this to probably be unsafe and above SAMMI pressure specs).

For 158gr LSWC, I found that 4.2 grains of Red Dot with standard small pistol primers is darned accurate and 'feels' about what would be right to me for 'plinking'.

Personally, I prefer 5.1 grains of Red Dot and CCI mag primers with hard-cast 158gr. LSWC, but this might be just a little too *hot* for many people.
    Cogito, ergo armatus sum.
    ...Say that to my face.

Is there a rule of thumb concerning loads for JSP & LSWC. Hogdon's manual only list the XTP & JHP in the 158 gr .357 section. I have a supply of Hodgdon's Universal powder & I before I buy more powder I would like to finish what I have using LSWC. How much should I adjust down (or up) from the XTP & JHP's to be safe? Thanks for any help

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Sights View Post
    Is there a rule of thumb concerning loads for JSP & LSWC. Hogdon's manual only list the XTP & JHP in the 158 gr .357 section. I have a supply of Hodgdon's Universal powder & I before I buy more powder I would like to finish what I have using LSWC. How much should I adjust down (or up) from the XTP & JHP's to be safe? Thanks for any help
    You should try to keep cast bullets under 1000fps to avoid leading. If they have gas checks then they can be loaded to that of jacketed bullets. One recomendation I have is to get a cast bullet reloading book. Since I have Lyman moulds I use a Lyman book.
    ““Liberty is the right to choose. Freedom is the result of the right choice.””

-Anonymous

Jeff

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by shooter357 View Post
    You should try to keep cast bullets under 1000fps to avoid leading. If they have gas checks then they can be loaded to that of jacketed bullets. One recomendation I have is to get a cast bullet reloading book. Since I have Lyman moulds I use a Lyman book.
    From what I have learned, when it comes to leading (lead coated in the barrel), my personal research has found that it has to do with overall bullet design (different styles of casting) - mostly, it has to do with the bullet diameter (356/357/358) vs. the barrel and design of your particular firearm.

Gas checks are known to greatly improve accuracy and achieve more consistent velocities.

If .357 is leading your barrel, try .358 or .356 diameter - when you find the right bullet design/diameter for your gun, high velocity (within safe pressures) shouldn't lead the barrel.

If you really don't mind removing thick coatings of lead from your barrel - it isn't all that much of an issue.
    Cogito, ergo armatus sum.
    ...Say that to my face.

I was more concerned with a saftey issue. I didn't know if the LSWC would build up preasure to an unsafe level because they would expand faster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast