Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Newbie looking for some old rifle advice

Hey folks, names Chris. Started target shooting this past Thanksgiving and I'm hooked. Picked up a Marlin .22 to start off a few weeks ago but I've been looking for something bigger lately. I've always really liked WWII era rifles, M1, 303's, Kar98K etc but most are just a step out of my budget of $200-300. So I came across these two that piqued my interest:

Mosin Nagant M-38 $150. I've looked around and I've heard a lot of very good things about them, and it doesn't sound like ammo is that outrageous to find. Or:

1891 Argentine Mauser for $260. Friend of mine spoke highly of the Mausers but I haven't seen a whole lot on them. I'm quite interested in both these, but I'm not sure on either. I would primarily be using this at the range every now and again along with the .22, but I might also take it hunting. So does anyone have any opinions on these two?

Default Re: Newbie looking for some old rifle advice

I don't think you could go wrong with either of those choices. I have a Mosin Nagant 91/30 and a Yugoslavian Mauser. Both great to shoot.
    Jules

(Monroe County)

The Guns you mentioned are sweet, the big surpise is the Argentine 1891, the best Gun Mauser ever make in my opinion, wait untill you work the action on one and the 7.62x53 is one hot round , can kill anything in North America.

Nyman

(Bucks County)

Welcome Chris, not only to the forum but also to shooting!

You are young and new at shooting so the best advice would be to continue with the .22 for a few more months until you can save your money towards something you may want more instead of just buying based on your current budget.

I would suggest forgoing what's on your list and saving for something such as a Savage 111 in 30-06. They should go for a little under $400, come with a scope and will allow you to hunt anything North America has to shoot. Another option to consider would be a shotgun such as a Rem 870

That said, if you are anything like me at 19 I would ignore any practical advice from old farts....so, if you must then get the M38.

(Luzerne County)

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you might have been bitten by the bug. I would just choose one. Then go and get the other later.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
    Welcome Chris, not only to the forum but also to shooting!

You are young and new at shooting so the best advice would be to continue with the .22 for a few more months until you can save your money towards something you may want more instead of just buying based on your current budget.

I would suggest forgoing what's on your list and saving for something such as a Savage 111 in 30-06. They should go for a little under $400, come with a scope and will allow you to hunt anything North America has to shoot. Another option to consider would be a shotgun such as a Rem 870

That said, if you are anything like me at 19 I would ignore any practical advice from old farts....so, if you must then get the M38.
    I may actually follow that advice, I'm always hearing good stuff about Savage rifles. Truth be told I haven't been looking that hard for a new gun, and these two are just a couple I spotted in the local paper shop. I think a Savage would definitely be more practical and easier to live with. I just like looking for the older rifles as a kind of historical/rare piece that's also nice to fire.

One thing for sure, I need to hit the range tomorrow with my new spotter scope and targets

(York County)

welcome to the world of shooting! the mosin you have listed is not really the best choice for a new shooter. try a mosin nagant 91/30. they often times go on sale from distributers for around $70. ammo is easily found and there are many different kinds available to find what shoots the best from your rifle. they also make soft point 7.62x54r ammo so you could hunt with the rifle as well, should you ever decide to. they are a fairly strong rifle and will take down any large sized game.....and no you dont need a scope to see any deer. the sights are very easy to use on these rifles as well.

the argentine mauser might not be a very wise choice. reliable ammo sources are hard to come by, unless you are into reloading. its a mauser design which is good, but there are better rifles out there for the money. argentine mausers are not as popular with collectors, and for the same money, you can get an RC german WWII K98 rifle that has been arsenal refinished to like new. plus 8mm mauser ammo is much more readily available!

you may also want to consider a Japanese T-99 arisaka rifle. some people laugh at them, but most folks have no idea what they truly are. the fact is, they are the strongest WWII rifle made, they fire a 7.7 caliber round which is much like a .308 and they are very simple to take down and clean unlike mausers. prices in this area for such a rifle are pretty low as they havent caught on very much here in PA. but rest assured, folks are going crazy over them on the internet. the early type 99 rifles even had chrome lined bores! almost all of the other military rifles of that era did not feature that....even US rifles like the 1917 or 1903 or M1 garand.

since you are a starter collector/shooter i would recommend a Japanese T-99 rifle, a yugo M48, a Mosin nagant 91/30, or a RC german K98. all of those rifles are collectable except the mosin which are being imported by the millions which is a main reason why they are so cheap. its up to you though, so buy something you want. one word of advise is: buy a rifle that isnt being made anymore! you can buy a savage today, tomorrow, or ten years from now. they are out there, all over the place and are still being cranked out. german mausers and japanese arisakas havent been made since 1945 which is why they retain value and still offer shooters lots of fun, while being able to gain value! if you buy a newly made rifle, and try to resell it later.....you are going to lose money on it.

(Philadelphia County)

I have shot many that are available, Both mine and others, I would encourage you to look at anything 30-06. Ammo is reasonable still, and not too much kick.
    I saw a Springfield 30-06 bolt action that has been someones target gun. Had a nice scope on at and the price was 3 bills.
    Sat in shop 2 months before it sold.
    I picked up an A303 with a Weaver K10 scope for 3 last year
    I prefer bolt action guns myself.
    You can find them around, Just keep looking.
    And BTW, I still shoot .22 more than anything else! they never grow old for me!
    Peter.

(Butler County)

Welcome to the forum and what can be an expensive habit. When buying a gun, look into the price and availability of the ammo. 30-06 @ 34 cents a shot vs. .50mgb @ 5 bucks a shot. I think the nagant will be a lot cheaper to shoot and the ammo is easily found. Argentine ammo is not as common and will be more expensive. +1 on the 91/30 instead of the m38. The 38 kicks like a mule. A 91 is longer and heavier and can be found in almost new condition for around $100. A H&R .22 revolver is a lot of fun and can be found for around $100. The list goes on and on. Wait till you get garanditis or even worse the dreaded black rifle disease, you're going to need a second job. Good luck and shoot safe.

(Berks County)

The Argie Mauser is a work of art, but ammo is very expensive and not usually available at local stores. The Mosin Nagaqnt is a tough sturdy rifle, but I'd recommend what was said before - save up a few more dollars and get a Savage in .30-06. They are the best bargain out there, come in a "package rifle" deal with scope and are very accurate, reliable rifles.
    .30-06 is the classic US centerfire cartridge, and there are more differents loadings for that cartridge available over the counter than for any other cartridge. And it is available anywhere that sells ammo, even Walmart.

I love the old mil surplus rifles, but I'd hold off till you are a little more afmiliar with shooting and rifles in general. They have been around this long, and they will be around when you are ready for them.

Enjoy yourself.

mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast