Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Does Montgomery County (no, Chester! see my edit)keep gun purchase records?

I recently bought a gun at large dealer, and they had me fill out a small 4x6 form, which included my name, address, and height, weight and appearance. I forget the exact name of the form, but I remember it was for the county. I asked about it, and the dealer said they keep it for their records, and will give up the info if the county requests it. Is this legal?
    Last edited by tobor; February 7th, 2009 at 02:40 AM.
    Every person is created equal and is entitled to an opinion, but not all opinions are created equal.

-Wise Man, circa early 21st century.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Does Montgomery County keep gun purchase records?

Legal or illegal? I'm not a lawyer, so I have no credentials to make that call.

But I'm pretty good at spotting Bullshit. Sounds like some marketing ploy

where employees get attaboys for demographic information.

I purchased a handgun yesterday at a local shop in Willow Grove, Montgomery

County, no 4x6 card, just the standard forms.

Just curious, what do you fill in for "appearance"?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by gold cup 26 View Post
    Legal or illegal? I'm not a lawyer, so I have no credentials to make that call.

But I'm pretty good at spotting Bullshit. Sounds like some marketing ploy

where employees get attaboys for demographic information.

I purchased a handgun yesterday at a local shop in Willow Grove, Montgomery

County, no 4x6 card, just the standard forms.

Just curious, what do you fill in for "appearance"?
    I meant appearance generally, like eye color, hair color. Similar questions as the instant background check. If it was bullshit, it was pretty official looking bullshit. Dealer was in Pheonixville. Great service, nice indoor range.
    Every person is created equal and is entitled to an opinion, but not all opinions are created equal.

(Montgomery County)

I would have had to ask if refusal to fill out the "form" would terminate the transaction.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by gold cup 26 View Post
    I would have had to ask if refusal to fill out the "form" would terminate the transaction.
    Maybe next time I will. It's not the first gun I've bought there, and not the first time I've filled out the form. I've never filled out that form at any other dealer in Montco, and I've bought from two other dealers.

(Montgomery County)

The dealer you are talking about is probably French Creek Outfitters, which is in CHESTER county, not Montco.

the form you filled out says right on it that its for the Chester County Sheriff Office.

Montco does not use this form, but Chester Co FFLS fill this out and mail it to the CCSO.

I recently transferred a gun to another user on this forum, and we used French CreeK Outfitters

I myself was questioning this form, as its similar to the very old Brady Act forms, apparently this is required by CCSO, no idea why.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Berks County)

I find this very unusual, and disturbing, especially, since the Sheriff touts herself as a 2A supporter. There can't be any legal weight forcing you to fill out this form. If presented with it, I'd take my business elsewhere. And this must be a fairly recent thing...I had an AR-15 lower transferred to me through a Chester County dealer about a year and a half ago, and this form was never presented to me. Perhaps it's time to send some letters to Sheriff Bunny and find out if this is from her office or not. Also, I know there's atleast one member here who works for French Creek...they need to weigh in here and let us know if this is a County thing or if it's just their store requiring this crap.
    Last edited by Ramtuff; February 7th, 2009 at 02:54 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    The dealer you are talking about is probably French Creek Outfitters, which is in CHESTER county, not Montco.

the form you filled out says right on it that its for the Chester County Sheriff Office.

Montco does not use this form, but Chester Co FFLS fill this out and mail it to the CCSO.

I recently transferred a gun to another user on this forum, and we used French CreeK Outfitters

I myself was questioning this form, as its similar to the very old Brady Act forms, apparently this is required by CCSO, no idea why.
    Yes, of course you are correct. I have no idea why I thought the form came from Montco county. Please pardon me! I'll edit the title. My experience was also at French Creek Outfitters, just thought maybe I shouldn't name them, for whatever reason.

Anyway, it looks like Chester is keeping gun ownership records. Is that legal?
    Last edited by tobor; February 7th, 2009 at 02:41 AM.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by tobor View Post
    Anyway, it looks like Chester is keeping gun ownership records. Is that legal?

No.

(10 characters)

(Chester County)

Default Re: Does Montgomery County (no, Chester! see my edit)keep gun purchase records?

I live in ChesCo, and have bought many guns in the county, but never at FCO, and I've never had to fill out anything other than the 4473. If FCO is sending some other form to the CCSO, my guess is that they're doing so voluntarily. I've never been treated well there so I've never made a purchase, and if they're sending gun purchase records to the Sheriff's office, that's just one more reason for me not to reconsider going there in the future.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast