Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Gun Registry

(Allegheny County)

Default Gun Registry

I have a question on the gun registery. It is being brought up agaiin with HB760. I know the State law forbids any registry but the State Supreme court ruled that the one the state police have is legal and can stand. If this was ruled legal how can any registry be forbidden. I understand that the government can break the laws and be exempted but how to make them accountable is the question also. Government feels they are wiser than the regular people. They seem to think they live by a different set of rules, do as I say not as I do mentality. They say their decisions on how to spend your money is far superior to ours. In reality how do we get them to listen. Voting them out? Who would replace them? Is there a serious way we can get them to listen.
    I am not just saying all of this to spout off. I would really like to see an answer to these questions. Or have we gone down that slippery slope to far to climb back up? Frustrated? You bet I am. But still have a grain of hope.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Gun Registery

Quote Originally Posted by jwg View Post
    I know the State law forbids any registry but the State Supreme court ruled that the one the state police have is legal and can stand. If this was ruled legal how can any registry be forbidden.
    Technically, the law forbids a registry of firearm ownership, while the police database is a registry of sales. Little practical difference, but apparently enough for Pennsylvania Supreme Court to make excuses.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg View Post
    In reality how do we get them to listen. Voting them out? Who would replace them?
    Well, apparently gun-owners are ticked off enough about HB 760 that legistors are beginning to notice.
    Cf.
    www.pafoa.org/forum/news-123/4270-house-bill-760-firearms-registration-act-page-7.html#post48423
    Last edited by awkx; April 12th, 2007 at 07:42 AM. Reason: clarification

(Allegheny County)

As I understand it the sales log is just kept because of the way the PICS system works, and I'm ok with that. I am all for keeping criminals away from guns. But if this act were to go into effect I would not abide by it that is for certain.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Gun Registry

§ 6111.4. Registration of firearms.

Notwithstanding any section of this chapter to the contrary, nothing in this chapter shall be construed to allow any government or law enforcement agency or any agent thereof to create, maintain or operate any registry of firearm ownership within this Commonwealth. For the purposes of this section only, the term "firearm" shall include any weapon that is designed to or may readily be converted to expel any projectile by the action of an explosive or the frame or receiver of any such weapon.
    The bolded text is why HB760 could establish a registry. The law only prohibits registries not created by the legislature.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Allegheny County)

Im sorry i was talking about i'm ok with the state police registry. that i'm ok with. The new one i'm not.

(Allegheny County)

If I read the post right the part stating any government does not include the legislation?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Skuggi View Post
    As I understand it the sales log is just kept because of the way the PICS system works, and I'm ok with that. I am all for keeping criminals away from guns. But if this act were to go into effect I would not abide by it that is for certain.

I never understood the logic of this. Why do they need to retain sales information AFTER the background check has been completed? If the purpose is to ensure that a prohibited person cannot take posession of a firearm, why is it necessary to keep a record of the sale after the LEGAL, NON-CRIMINAL purchaser has taken posession of a firearm?

Again, a person goes through a background check, which proves that he is not prohibited from owning a firearm. Firearm is transferred. He has to go through another background check if he buys another firearm anyway, so why then do they keep a record of the sale? How is a record of the make/model/barrel length/etc. relavent in any way to the background check?

About 5-6 years ago my apartment was robbed and some guns were stolen. The police took me to the station to go over some information. Within 5 minutes, they had a fax in their office with a list of ALL the firearms I have ever owned, past and present. I was shocked that they could do that so easily!

(Lycoming County)

MorganB,

With that same capability they will have their list to know each person who does not comply with the new law should it pass.

Its a given that the criminals will not go through the process, about the only thing the law will aid in preventing is the illegal sale to those who are prohibited. The law will not lower gun related crimes, nor will it prevent criminals from stealing firearms from valid owners.

The law will also increase the underground business of unregistered firearms.
    It seems that the higher degree of education some people receive that there is a tremendous loss of common sense.
    Jack