Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default LEO's pulling people over..

Hey all, this has irritated me for a long time and thought I would say something. When you pull someone over on a tight shouldered road or a 2 lane highway both lanes going the same way... move the pulled over car move to a safer area where you don't block traffic. I mean no disrespect to the officer who recently died in Bucks county either as that is a real tragedy with the family and all. But I mean come on guys those lights draw attention and we all know some drivers who are easily distracted. Also when you block both lanes of traffic you cause drivers to make fast lane changes and they slam on the brakes. Don't take offense to this just think about it.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: LEO's pulling people over..

Its not all the LEO's fault.. Drivers need to think some too and pick better places. There aren't many officers that will give you crap if you turn on your blinkers, give them a friendly wave, then drive slowly to a safer spot to pull off.

(Schuylkill County)

I look at it this way.. if a car/semi hits the police car... I have a better than average chance of getting hit also. I'll pull off to a safe area because *I* don't want to get killed.

Sometimes its good to be just a little selfish.

(Lackawanna County)

It's really the fault of the person who's getting pulled over. They don't have to stop in a horrible spot. That's up to them. Would you prefer if the cop pushed peoples' cars with their own into a safer spot? Doubt it. The cop is following them at that point, where the person who is getting pulled over stops isn't really up to the cop. I do like was said before if it's a bad spot. It's real simple. If someone just stops in a bad area, that's up to them and they're being a douche-bag for risking the officers life like that.

(Chester County)

I disagree, when most people get flashing lights behind them they panic and think if they don't pull over right away they're gonna be in more trouble. The LEO is supposed to be the one in charge of the situation, get on your mega phone and tell them to move. You can't generalize and say that people should know to pull to a safer area. LEO's responsibility in my opinion, and why do they allow people to stay in a place where they know its not safe. I dunno it just makes me angry.

(Adams County)

From the LEO point of view: Nothing says that a vehicle stop has to be in that one spot. It's really simple:

After the cop gets the driver's license, registration, and insurance papers and tells the violator why he stopped them, he/she can just say, "Just for our safety, I'd like you to pull your car... (over there, down to the next pull-off, into that parking lot, whatever.) and I'll be with you shortly. I do that all the time, and I've never had a problem with it.

Good points either way...

BUT, in almost every case a COP pulls someone over, it is because that person did something wrong. Sooooo, it can be said that ANYTHING that happens during the course of the stop could potentially be blamed on the person being stopped, because if they did nothing wrong, there would be no car stop to have created a situation to have danger present...

Just a thought...

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by VTLO910 View Post
    Good points either way...

BUT, in almost every case a COP pulls someone over, it is because that person did something wrong. Sooooo, it can be said that ANYTHING that happens during the course of the stop could potentially be blamed on the person being stopped, because if they did nothing wrong, there would be no car stop to have created a situation to have danger present...

Just a thought...
    Guilty until proven innocent huh?
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by VTLO910 View Post
    Just a thought...

Nope!

People do dumb shit, thats why we need cops. Following your logic, its the cops fault for going to the academy, and his parents fault for having kids, and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Spishack357 View Post
    I disagree, when most people get flashing lights behind them they panic and think if they don't pull over right away they're gonna be in more trouble. The LEO is supposed to be the one in charge of the situation, get on your mega phone and tell them to move. You can't generalize and say that people should know to pull to a safer area. LEO's responsibility in my opinion, and why do they allow people to stay in a place where they know its not safe. I dunno it just makes me angry.

Ummm, I don't carry a megaphone around with me . However if the stop would be in a dangerous place, I always have the person move to a safer location. Plus I always use the passenger side of the vehicle...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast