Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Blair County)

Default 10/22 cycling issues

Alright I've looked around some for this answer(s) but I can't seem to find what I need.

I have a carbine model 10/22 that I bought used a few years ago. It has always needed hot or higher velocity ammo to run correctly. With the stock barrel and Remington High Velocity it runs like a scaled dog. It would cycle Agulia SSS rounds about 95% of the time.

The issue comes in when I bought my suppressor and purchased a new Tactical Solutions threaded barrel. To maximize the "fun" factor with the suppressor I try to run subsonics through the gun. CCI subsonic won't fit, Remington Subsonics jam every round and the Agulia SSS jam usually 1 outta 3 on average.

The jams seem to be the action short cycling? So I'm not sure if a new recoil spring would help or hinder my problem. I'm debating about finding a friend with a 10/22 and try my threaded barrel on their gun and see if the problem duplicates itself.

Either way I'm kinda stumped, anybody got ideas/or point me in the direction of someplace better to ask?
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

(Centre County)

Default Re: 10/22 cycling issues

Very well could be the ammo/spring combo. Subsonic rounds are a lot less powerful and you may need to go to a lighter spring for it to cycle correctly. It appears that the spring is fairly stiff if you get good action with the high velocity rounds but not the lower velocity stuff.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Luzerne County)

Try a good cleaning and possibly working on the trigger group.

I use the Volquartsen hammers in mine. Smoother set up helping the bolt take less resistance.

You can aslo round the bottom side of the bolt as well.

Try www.rimfirecentral.com lost of good stuff on there for the 10-22

(Lebanon County)

I have a Ruger Charger. It's a 10/22 that hasn't grown up. I have similar cycling issues with it. I've found that Eley Sport and CCI Blazer ammo seem to run better than most of the others. Some brands fail about 50% of the time.
    The Eley is lower powered than Blazer so that takes a little bit away from the spring theory but there are so many other factors that could be involved. I've considered polishing the chamber but I want to try a few other things first.
    I'll be following this thread looking for suggestions.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Blair County)

Good cleaning I've done, tried running it with a little oil and with no oil. Factory mag and butler creek hot lips

I think the chamber on the Tactical Solutions barrel is a little tighter than the factory one in the ruger and since the CCI seems to have a waxy coating on it, that is the reason that it won't "fit" in the barrel (yes i'm sure its .22 not .22 mag )

I was thinking a lighter recoil spring might be the best thing to try next, before playing around with the FCG too much.
    The resident Saiga snob

(Susquehanna County)

Like all recoil or blowback operated semi-auto firearms the 10/22 needs a certain level of "impulse" from its' ammo to operate.

Typically semi-auto rifles need high speed ammo to operate correctly. Standard velocity or subsonic stuff just doesn't have enough juice to make the bolt operate correctly.

You might be able to get the low-vel stuff to function with a weaker recoil spring. Just make sure you switch back to the standard spring when you want to shoot high vel stuff or you'll batter the action.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Blair County)

Update

Got down to a local smith/gun guru/dealer. Took my stock Ruger barrel and my Tactical Solutions barrel. The chamber on the Tactical Solutions barrel was in fact smaller than the chamber on the Ruger barrel. Opened it up ever so slightly and things got better.

Not completely done with it yet, but a whole heck of alot better than what it was.
    The resident Saiga snob