Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Walther P1

(Lancaster County)

Default Walther P1

[FONT="Lucida Console"][SIZE="4"

Need info on Walther P1 9mm luger.
    Like advantages and drawbacks.
    How about mags-are they readily available?

Thanks
    Peter

Default Re: Walther P1

My experiences are with the wartime model, the P-38. I recall the biggest difference is the wartime models have a steel frame and a round firing pin.

Pros:
    Decent accuracy
    Most are reliable
    Single & double action
    Loaded chamber indicator on wartime P-38s, P-1s likely have this as well.

Cons:
    Limited to 8 rds
    Full size 9mm handgun
    Can be troublesome if witness numbers are mismatched
    No night sight option
    Mags are a little expensive
    Not many accessories

I have been checking a few P-38 and P-1 my my area. After doing some researches, this article says some nasty things about the P-38 firing pin

http://teapot.usask.ca/cdn-firearms/...99/v01n902.txt

I don't know if they have installed a spring load firing pin safety on the P-1 but for the P-38, it is like playing Russian roulette. Stay safe.

1FingrCHan

I noticed this, too. In the case of the P-38 example I examined, the safety lever shaft also positively blocks firing pin movement. Had they disassembled one, they would have caught that detail.

While I have no intention of trying to discharge it under these conditions, I suspect unintentional discharges from using the safety aren't isn't as prevalent as the link implies.

The article referenced about breaking firing pins doesn't tell the whole story. The problem was late in WWII quality control in Germany pretty much went downhill big time. What would happen on these late war pistols is the lugs on the firing pin would break when you drop the hammer. If these broke there was nothing to stop the firng pin from going forward and that would result in an accidental discharge. No problem with early war pistols or post war pistols (I believe there was a redesign of the firing pin anyway to prevent this). This was what gave P38s the rep for being dangerous. This only happens with late war P38s. I don't know about WWII P38s but my P1 has a spring loaded firing pin. The P1 was the standard sidearm of the West German Armed Forces from 1955 to adoption of the (I think) P88. Germans would not use a pistol that was dangerous. Shooting a post war (and most WWII) P38/P1 is not playing Russian Roulette.

I agree with PA Rifleman's evaluation of the P1/P38. I have a lead bullet reload that works well in my S&W and Taurus but fails to function the P1 100%. Keep in mind most European 9mm is loaded a little hotter (like to +P or NATO specs) and my P1 has been 100% reliable (abot 1500 rds) with any factory load including US ammo made to SAAMI specs.

Magazines are expensive compared to many pistols ($30-$40).

http://www.dansammo.com/p38.asp

is where I got my P1 about 15 months ago. If you want a shooter the P1 is a better idea as there are only so many WWII pistols and they command a premium price. Dan's is in Apollo,PA which I believe is in Western PA. If you want a really nice looking pistol get the P1 in unissued condition. That's what I got and it was brand new. It was made in October 1986 and bagged up with a military holster, 3 magazines, a cleaning kit, and a manual in German it was $300 at the time and was the best deal on P1s. I would guess they figured this out and the price is likely to be higher.

Hope this helps you make your decision.
    Last edited by GRIZ; April 13th, 2007 at 12:21 AM. Reason: sp

Smile Re: Walther P1

Quote Originally Posted by 1FingrCHan View Post
    I have been checking a few P-38 and P-1 my my area. After doing some researches, this article says some nasty things about the P-38 firing pin

http://teapot.usask.ca/cdn-firearms/...99/v01n902.txt

I don't know if they have installed a spring load firing pin safety on the P-1 but for the P-38, it is like playing Russian roulette. Stay safe.

1FingrCHan
    Interesting theory, I have never heard of this happening to anyone. Of course the old stories about wartime P38's with poor metallurgy in the safeties probably hold true, though I don't know anyone who has ever encountered this either.

Personally I always felt uncomfortable dropping a hammer on a live round as a means of placing a firearm on SAFE. Of course allot of modern firearms have followed this practice and I don't hear many stories of accidental discharges, Perhaps a topic for another Thread?

The P1 is a Very Good weapon while some may feel that the limited 8rd magazine isn't to their liking, the only other fault I can find with it would be the European style mag release. Other than that I can't see much else wrong with it and if I felt the need to carry a large frame auto for CCW, I'd have no problems with the P1/P38

Besides it has that Cool factor in looks and styling.

TJB