Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default New to Philadelphia

Hey everyone. My name is Mike and I'm a 22 year old student at Temple University. I have never actually fired a gun but I am extremely interested in doing so. In my younger days I was obsessed with paint ball and air soft, but my friends and I have grown out of that now.

I am looking for a range close to Temple that I can get to by the subway. I would also like to take some lessons from an instructor. I eventually plan on getting a CC permit (the form is on my desk) but I want to be comfortable with using a gun first before I even consider filling it out.

I would like to try a range of different hand guns to see which one I like best. The glock is my favorite pistol just based off everything I know about it/how it looks and feels. Would I be able to do this at a range or would someone need to let me use their guns? If it's the latter, would anyone attest to meeting up and shooting with me?

Thanks in advance - this forum seems awesome - I look forward to hanging out with you guys (and gals) on here.

- Mike

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: New to Philadelphia

Welcome...I'm a TU student as well. We should go shooting some time.

Don't know about any ranges in subway distance, but I shoot at Classic Pistol in Southampton, and they rent out Glocks. I have a Beretta 92FS.

(Philadelphia County)

Welcome to the forum!

I'm pretty new here as well, and have checked out a few ranges, and must say that the BEST one in my experiences is South Philadelphia Archery and Gun Range. To get there you can hop on the Broad St Line, take that to the Ellsworth-Federal stop, then its like 3 or 4 blocks east on Ellsworth.
    SPAG/

I'm not sure if they do rentals, but I would be willing to meet up with ya one day and let ya try out my Glock. They also have a "Glock Day" there every April where they have awesome deals on glocks, and you can test fire all the different Glock models. Something you should def check out if your a Glock lover like myself.

Again, welcome to the boards!!

Quote Originally Posted by xxflyboixx View Post
    I'm not sure if they do rentals, but I would be willing to meet up with ya one day and let ya try out my Glock. They also have a "Glock Day" there every April where they have awesome deals on glocks, and you can test fire all the different Glock models. Something you should def check out if your a Glock lover like myself.
    Do they bring the G18?

(Philadelphia County)

To my knowledge, the Glock reps bring every model of Glock available...

Quote Originally Posted by uniballin View Post
    I would also like to take some lessons from an instructor.
    Welcome to the Forum! I think it's great that you're holding off on the LTCF until you're comfortable with a gun, and I think the best way to get that comfort is to start off with a class, as you mention above. IMHO, your best bet is to start off with the NRA's Basic Pistol Safety class. I know Classic Pistol in Southampton runs these, but I'm sure there are other ranges that do as well.

Once you've taken the class, try out as many guns as you can to figure out both what caliber and what model you want. I'm a big fan of Glocks myself, but there are plenty of other fine pistols out there. Try as many as you can before you finally settle on one.

(Northampton County)

Thanks for all of the responses guys.

I think the website for Classic Pistol is down .

I would like to try out Classic Pistol. Any idea how much their NRA's Basic Pistol Safety class costs? How about their rentals?

I'd be interested in going with you, H.E. Pennypacker.

xxflyboixx: That place looks cool. It seems to be a little expensive though since you have to pay 25 dollars or buy their ammunition if you're a guest. It is nice that you can get there from the subway (I don't have a car at school).

I would like to try out Classic Pistol. Any idea how much their NRA's Basic Pistol Safety class costs? How about their rentals?
    I believe the class is $150, but I don't recall how much gun rentals are. Give the fine folks at Classic more info. Their number is 215-953-7264.

(Northampton County)

Yikes.

$150 is going to set me back quite a bit. I'll never be afford a pistol haha.

I don't really need an intensive class. Just some basic pistol operation and safety guidelines.

$150 is going to set me back quite a bit. I'll never be afford a pistol haha. I don't really need an intensive class. Just some basic pistol operation and safety guidelines.
    Well, the class is a few sessions. They'll cover the basics of firearms (anatomy, handling, care and feeding, etc), as well as give you some live fire time on the range. Still, I know times are tough. Perhaps other folks will have suggestions on less expensive options.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast