Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Franklin County)

Default Ammunition Selection

First post from a nubie! The Beretta 92FS manual states that +P ammo for extended use is not recommended. However, that general statement leaves me scratching my head. Suppose that for example, I chose Cor-Bon 115gr +P JHP as a defensive ammo of choice. Is there more instant barrel pressure with that than with, say a 147gr standard load? Seems to me that the inertia requirement for a 147 grain bullet which is more than 20% heavier and requires more instantaneous pressure would more than offset the pressure of the +P of the 115 grain ammo? Sure would like some thoughts on this!

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Ammunition Selection

pressure is a product of not only bullet weight, but of powder charge, burn rate, swaging to the bore, and even primer types.

A heavier bullet doesn't mean there will be higher pressures. They can back the powder charge off and use slower burning powders to keep the pressures low.

The inertia would have more of an effect on the breech face and recoil springs. Where as higher pressure could blow you barrel apart on top of the effects that it's inertial thrust causes.

If a 115gr +P is launched fast enough, it's inertia could be quite higher than a standard load 147gr. Newton's third law applies, if that lightweight but faster bullet has more forward energy than the 147gr bullet, it's recoil inertia will be greater too.