Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: guns at work

(Montgomery County)

Default guns at work

I work for a transportation company in Montgomery County (i live in delaware county) that has a rule about having any firearm on property. I can be fired for just having a firearm locked away in my own vehicle, in the parking lot. I'm thinking about contacting the NRA about this since the company I work for is a 24 hour a day, 7 day a week company and most people have to work mid and late shifts and with this rule they are basicly taking away our rights to protect ourselves to and from work.
    Does anyone else have this rule at their job or ever had to deal with this? Is contacting the NRA a good idea?
    Your web muscles do not frighten me.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: guns at work

The NRA cant do anything about it. Property rights prevail in PA, and you are bound to the terms of your employer if you want to keep your job.

Talking Re: guns at work

My employer forces me to carry at work. He is such a meanie...lol

in other news... I hate when companies do what your refering too... Not sure about the parking lots, but I know for sure they can not allow you to carry inside of buildings, even Off Duty LEO's are subject to this unless otherwise allowed by Federal Statute.

(Chester County)

Its the same thing at the company I work for. You get caught with a gun on company property, and you're history! Why? Because as we all find out, we have no "rights" in the eyes of the company. Basically put, its their house, you follow their rules, simple as that! A private company can impose almost any rule it wants.

We have no freedom of speech while on the clock, just say the wrong word or phrase and you get time off. There is no more smoking on company property. No guns allowed, certain dress code, the list goes on . It totally blows, but there is only one thing you can do...quit! And really who can afford to do that?

I doubt the NRA will help you in this case.

(Montgomery County)

I only bring this up because I know they fought and won a case in Oklahoma where a company fired a few guys for having guns locked in their cars while parked on property.

(Luzerne County)

Thats the cost of keeping a job in Pa.

You could be fired for pretty much any reason or no reason at all.

Hell you could be fired for calling the NRA.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Montgomery County)

Its a union job so thats not true in this case, but its starting to seem that way for a lot of other companies around here.

(York County)

Before you go off half cocked the questions you need to ask yourself are;
    1. Why does the company have this policy, did they have any issue in the past or are they trying to protect themselves in a what if situation, Larger companies that have many employees tend to have rules like this due to limited direct oversight of employees so they make more rules
    2. How likely are they to search your vehicle and what kind of policy do they have that would make them think that they have the right to search your vehicle.
    3. Is there a safe place to park that is not on their property, This removes the issue.
    4. If you are discreet with your carry, how/why would they know that you carry, if you are not doing it on the job and its legal then its none of their concern.

Unless you are truely concerned about lossing your job or being harassed than let sleeping dogs lay.
    RIP -The US constitution.

(Philadelphia County)

You DO have a right to carry and possess a firearm, but you do NOT have a right to that specific job.

As stated, property rights trump that, so either don't get caught or get yourself another job.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Montgomery County)

I'm not really going "off half-cocked' about this. It's been in the back of my mind for probably 2 or 3 years now. I just never really followed up with it and since I only just recently found this site I thought I'd ask here to see what others thought who don't work for the same company.
    It hasn't been an issue at my shop, a few of us have carry permits there, yet. I don't know about the other shops in the city though. It was something that was brought when we had an I.G. officer come to our shop and go over a few rules with us. I'm not saying that anyone keeps firearms in their cars, but its not like there are dogs sniffing around parking lots or anything. While my shop may be in a safe area, the rest of them in the different areas of Philadelphia are not, in fact some are down right ghetto.
    I was just curious if there was enough of a problem in this state that it would be worth following up with the NRA and seeing if they would take on a case like this here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast