Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Heroic CCW'ers who have been "eraed" from the news accounts ....

This thread about the Mark Arroyo shootout got me to thinking...

The fact that a CCW'er intervened and probably saved Mark Arroyo's son's life was convienently "omitted" from most news accounts of what happened that day.

I seem to remember several other examples of this exact same thing happening in other shootouts. There was a shooting in a college a few years ago where armed civilians intervened but never got the recognition they deserved in the news coverage.

The Beslan incident (Russia)had local residents with personal arms out on the streets chasing down suspects as they attempted to flee, if I can recall correctly. I'm not sure about this one but I do remember seeing something to that effect on AR15.com as it unfolded, complete with pictures.

Anyhow, what I'm getting at here is that we should make an effort to compile a list of all such occurences that we can back up with fact. It's a predictable media pattern, and if we can get all the info to prove it in one place, it would be a useful tool for use in debate.

Who here is actually smart enough to pull something like this off?

Default Re: Heroic CCW'ers who have been "eraed" from the news accounts ....

Annapolis, Maryland: An off-duty Secret Service Agent is at the mall. There is a gunshots, and he reacts. In the process he kills the badguy, and is wounded. Nothing is made of the fact that he had a CCW but that he was USSS.
    Quote Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
    Sgt....Do NOT piss off the wife, do NOT piss off the wife!
    Army Strong

These are my opinions, my opinions only. If you are offended, please, please, call Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton, I would like the notoriety.

(Allegheny County)

Who here is actually smart enough to pull something like this off?
    Sound of crickets chirping...

Just kidding.
    You never know, someone out there may have such a list of these accounts.

I have a book titled "The Concealed Handgun Manual" (+1!) and in it are several personal stories like the ones you are speaking of.
    One of my favorites is told by a teacher who stopped a murdering rampage at a school. Long story short, he retrieved his handgun from his car in the parking lot and confronted the "student" as he tried leaving the school by car. When the vehicle came to a stop, he told the told the kid not to move or he would kill him. (may not be exact wording) The teacher had no way to know what this kid had planned next and his daughter was in the elementary school just down the street in the direction the kid was headed. I do believe he would have (and should have) shot him if he had not complied.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Cambria County)

I have a bunch of data somewhere on this, and I would team up with another like-minded individual or two (or three), I have the skills and resources to compile the accounts into very useful data and information as well as the literary ability to put something decent together.

My research abilities are legendary.

In all seriousness, this is a worthwhile pursuit (and the accounts on Beslan are correct, there were private ctrizens with arms engaging the terrorists at some point).

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by NineseveN View Post
    I have a bunch of data somewhere on this, and I would team up with another like-minded individual or two (or three), I have the skills and resources to compile the accounts into very useful data and information as well as the literary ability to put something decent together.

My research abilities are legendary.

In all seriousness, this is a worthwhile pursuit (and the accounts on Beslan are correct, there were private ctrizens with arms engaging the terrorists at some point).

I'll work with you on this, but I have to warn you that my Google-Fu skills are sub-par and I'm not exactly trained in verifying sources for factual accuracy.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by MorganB View Post
    I'll work with you on this, but I have to warn you that my Google-Fu skills are sub-par and I'm not exactly trained in verifying sources for factual accuracy.

This would make a rather interesting book ya know, a case study in the 10 most covered incidents of violence where a private citizen carrying a gun intervened and saved some lives and/or died trying.

In fact, that’s why I have what I do compiled, I was writing a book on it and then real life came along and kicked my ass in the time department.

(Philadelphia County)

It's important that these things get recorded before the PC police erase all the facts that they find objectionable.

There was a guy who set up a website during the aftermath of Katrina in New Orleans, for example. The photographs and videos on this site proved beyond any reasonable doubt what was REALLY going on down there, and I can guarantee you the PC police weren't happy about the "inconvienent truth" surrounding the looters.

They were for the most part, as videos and pictures from the site proved beyond any shadow of a doubt, a gleeful bunch of oppurtunists - in contrast to the PC myth that they were only doing what they had to to survive.

Needless to say, I can't find the website anymore - it's as if it was a figment of my imagination.

(Allegheny County)

I'm not sure how accurate the "armed citizen" accounts are in the NRA publications but there has to be a fair amount of info there.

27hand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post
    I'm not sure how accurate the "armed citizen" accounts are in the NRA publications but there has to be a fair amount of info there.

27hand

I'm more interested in exposing incidents where a CCW intervened but was "erased" from the news account, rather than your garden variety CCW bravado stories.

(Monroe County)

And the sad thing is this type of stuff can be just as sensationalized. That's how you know the reporting is biased.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast