Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Hokkmike Guest

Default Need help with scope adjustment problem.

I got a new (used) Burris Signature Select and put it on my SAKO. I went to sight it in. I got it almost to zero at 50 yards and it ran out of left and down adjustment. I tried another scope to see if it would zero and it did with no problem. (therefore the mounts should be ok, right?) I am very upset that I cannot zero this scope. Any suggestions are appreciated!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Need help with scope adjustment problem.

Edit:

After writing a very long reply it seems that I missed the point of your post.

Sorry, can't help you on this one.

Brian
    Last edited by Atomic Dog; April 10th, 2007 at 08:04 PM. Reason: i kin reed

(Beaver County)

It sounds like it's the scope and not you. You can look down the scope backwards, look around and see if something is cracked or broken, sometimes you can't see it when looking thru the proper end. Can you send it back, or back to the Mfg.? Otherwise you could shim it-not the preferred method because of increased potential of scope movement. Hope this helps.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post
    I got a new (used) Burris Signature Select and put it on my SAKO. I went to sight it in. I got it almost to zero at 50 yards and it ran out of left and down adjustment. I tried another scope to see if it would zero and it did with no problem. (therefore the mounts should be ok, right?) I am very upset that I cannot zero this scope. Any suggestions are appreciated!
    What type of rings?

Lycandontsayleopouldstdthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

Hokkmike Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    What type of rings?

Lycandontsayleopouldstdthrope
    Leupold SAKO superhigh rings!

(Lawrence County)

Different scopes have different levels of adjustment. Did you still have to use a lot of adjustment? One scope may be able to do it while another may not.

Align the rings evenly with torque. A little bit out of square in tightening can make a big difference. Count the number of clicks from min to max on your horizontal adjustment.....and then adjust it to half that....so you know the crosshairs are at optical center. If the receiver is perfectly square with the barrel (they rarely are), you won't have to adjust far. If both scopes need to go the same way, then you have some error in the receiver. An easy fix is to get the Burris Signature rings with offset inserts. That way you can keep your scope near optical center.

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

Hokkmike Guest

Here is the response I got from Burris:

"You yourself can very easily verify that the scope is or is not performing properly. With a higher magnification scope the less internal adjustment it will have, this particular scope will have a total of 22” adjustment or 11” adjustment in any direction from optical center. So if the scope were optically centered and your first group of shots are more then 11” from the bulls-eye you will not get sighted in without first more closely aligning the scope and bore. The Signature series scopes have larger internal lenses which increase light transmission but decrease internal adjustment unlike the test scope which will have a ton of adjustment but uses tiny internal lenses. Now test the scope, the only way the scope will not have its full range of adjustment is if it is physically bent. Place the scope on a V-block and spin it, if the eyepiece or objective visibly spin in an oblong pattern then its bent, if not verify the internal adjustment. Using the same V-block (one can be made with a shoe box) spin the scope this time watching the pattern the reticle makes on a distant target. Turn the adjustments until the pattern of the reticle moving against the target is round or more precisely doesn’t move on the target. From here simply turn a adjustment until it stops watching how far it moves across the target, it should move no less then 11”. This can also be done using a bore sighter. When you find the scope does have its full range of adjustment the mounting system must be closer aligned with the bore by using windage adjustable mounts, lapping the rings, shimming the scope, or using Signature Posi-Align rings. If you find a problem or still believe there is a problem with the scope we will gladly review the scope if you would have it sent to the address below."

Sounds like they will stick by me on this one!

(Beaver County)

You get an atta boy!

Burris scopes are pretty good. I know lots of people that have them, and I've never heard anybody speak badly of their warranty or getting help from the factory. Hope you get it figured out.

(Lancaster County)

Question Re: Need help with scope adjustment problem.

Are you still having trouble? Assuming it's not bent-

I dunno if this'll help, but here goes,

I had a similar problem when mounting a scope on an sks. The mount looked good, but we reached the end of available adjustment before even getting close to center.

My bro cut some shims out of aluminum can, and placed these under the rear ring to move the cross hair to shoot to center. We then lock tited the ring screws when we had it where we wanted.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke

It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything. -Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

“One man with a gun can control 100 without one. ” -Vladamir Lenin, Founder Communist Party USSR ... I hate to quote a commie, but when they ban your gun, you'll know who gave them the idea.