Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Are AR 15's difficult to build?

I'm new to shooting in general. Started with a 9MM Beretta a few months ago, now own a few different handguns and rifles. (Turning into a little bit of an addiction really) I've thought that an AR 15 was something I would like to get down the road, but now I'm starting to think I should get it sooner rather than later. My question is, if I want to save a few bucks and build it myself, how difficult is it to build one? I consider myself pretty mechanically inclined, but don't really have a great understanding about the mechanics of guns quite yet. Is this something a newbie could/should be considering? Can anyone point me in the direction of a good place to start?

Thanks for any info you guys can give me!

(Blair County)

Default Re: Are AR 15's difficult to build?

If you are at all mechanically bent, you can assemble the AR lower. I do it on a table, no vise, tho a vise and magazine insert is nice, but not required. I have assembled over 100. Some pin punches would be good but even these are not required. AR15.com and youtube have assembly instructions and videos. Go for it!!!
    Steve

(Westmoreland County)

Bushmaster sells a video / DVD that takes you step-by-step through the assembly of a complete lower and upper.

(Allegheny County)

Let me clear something up for you.

There's a difference between a "complete build", and a "build" from a kit.

When I became interested in building one, I assumed that a kit was a box full of parts that have to be assembled into a rifle. It's not.
    It's a box with a fully assembled upper, along with the pistol grip, stock, and a bag with the parts that need to go into a stripped lower.

Aside from installing a few things, it's not a whole lot more involved than field stripping it. A kit is almost like cheating since the hard part is already done.

Now a total build, that is slightly more involved, but as I understand it, not that difficult if you have a few tools designed for the job at hand.

Either way, I'm sure you can do it.
    Good luck!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    ...the hard part
    There's a hard part?

(Lehigh County)

If i were you i would try to pick up a used one. The prices they are getting for all ar parts are insane at this time. Good luck even finding a reasonable price on a lower. Also when you say build one are you talking from ground up or buying a complete lower and a complete upper and slapping them together?
    It is fun building them i have built two. Keep your eye on the forum always guys wanting to trade or sell. Forget gunbroker the prices are crazy but use the site as a refference to see what things are going for. If you can find cheaper than on the site you did pretty good. LRB lowers has a five month waiting period at the moment but are backing there 109.00 price on lowers if you put an order in. I put in for 3 myself. Good luck and happy building. Also watch blackthorne products have been told they have some issues with parts and service.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for the info everybody. I'm thinking more along the lines of a kit rather than trying to build from the ground up. Right now I'm just trying to wrap my ind around what is and what isn't included in some of the kits I've been seeing and what I have to buy separately. My understanding is that most of the kits I've been seeing (online and in mags) include everything I would need with the exception of a stripped lower. Why are these sold separately?

(Lycoming County)

the lower is what is considered the firearm, it has to go through an ffl. the rest can be shipped right to your door.

(Allegheny County)

ever been to IKEA ??????

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    There's a difference between a "complete build", and a "build" from a kit....

Either way, I'm sure you can do it.
    I hate the word "build." Same goes for all those guys who say they "build" computers. Making something from standard available parts on a standard platform is not "building." A better term is "assembling."
    Now, if you're starting with plain forgings and making/modifying parts, then "build" works in my book.

The only thing worse are those numb-nuts' who say they're "building a house" when in fact they hired a contractor to build them a house.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast